Author Topic: New to Surf..  (Read 13108 times)

Offline FishermanMIKE

New to Surf..
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:16:02 AM »

Hello out there.. I'm new to the site as well as Surf fishing.. I have been going back and between set ups.. For the past couple of years I have been using a 7' inshore lami rod with a abu Garcia bait casting reel off Ortley beach.. It has done pretty well for me caught many fluke and other fish on it, but know I'm looking to really get into it.. So my question is do I go up to a 9' tica for small jigging and poppers or should I go for 10'6 tic a dolphin which could just about be used for anything bait, metals ext.. ??

I'm mainly going to use buck tail, jigs an poppers..

Offline FishOn

Re: New to Surf..
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »
I have tica rods. They are ehh. They are well made for the price and very durable. But  I think your money would be better spent on a 10'6" 3/4-4oz St. Croix mojo, or a 9 or 10 foot lami super surf. The tica dolphin has a really short butt end and is really top heavy. It's a very tiresome rod to plug with. I use my ticas when I know there is a good chance I will be falling , slipping, dropping them on rocks, bait fishing, or loaning out to the less experienced (read careful). Best bet. Go to a shop that sells them all and decide for yourself
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline FishermanMIKE

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »
If I'm only going to use Buck-tails, jigs and poppers should a 9ft. be sufficient enough.. I feel that if I'm really not going to use bait why go big.. ???

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:25:13 AM »
I have used Tica's for years not and they are my go to rod for the price.  I would love to jump up to a more expensive rod but for the money I have not been able to justify the change.

I have 2 rod lengths that I like and they are the 8' and 10' in the spinning and the 11' in the bait casting version.  If you are just going to use artificials you are going to miss out ao a lot of god fishing.  Casting a mullet in the lat spring is a blast ans is chunking (bunker) for stripers is a great way to utilize the best of both worlds.  Throw out bait and then use the shorter poles to throw your artificials.  You would be working the bottom as well as the top.

Surf Fishing is loads of fun but just this past week my uncle and I were out fishing the north jetty and his St. Croix hit something big and well to make a short story even shorter the rod cracked in 2 places.  Sounded like a gun shot.

Needless to say the rod is going back and hopefully for the sales person they can make good on it.

What area will you be fishing most?  There are tons of spots all along out coast but my favorite is Island Beach State Park.  It has miles of some of the east coasts best fishing anyone can ask for.  All you have to do is get used to reading where the breaks are and finding the holes.  There are many all along the beach, but patience surly comes in handy here.  Especially if you are fishing he weekends.

Just driving around town I saw many license plates from out of state going to and from IBSP.  In fact there was one truck from Delaware that was set up for the long haul of the weekend.  I thought Del. had some good fishing as I was always told by certain people I know from there that their waters will out fish NJ's any day of the week.  Oh well. 

Any way, the best way is to try the rods out for your self. And if you can afford the more expensive rods go for it.  But my almost 60 years of fishing in this area has proven your best bet is to learn the beach by spending time on it and in the bait and Tackle shops where you will spend most of your time fishing.

This will do 2 things, first go to a shop and just listen to the chatter to get an idea of what is biting and on what.  Than make some friends that spend a lot of time in that area as they will allow you into some pretty tight bands of guys that will only tell each other the inside info on what is happening.

Welcome to the world of Surf Fishing.  It is a fascinating way to fish and catch to boot.

Happy Carching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
Tica makes a great rod for bait, bucktailing and casting metal, but I feel they're too stiff for poppers.
Z

Offline FishOn

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »
If I'm only going to use Buck-tails, jigs and poppers should a 9ft. be sufficient enough.. I feel that if I'm really not going to use bait why go big.. ???

I personally think 8-9 foot long rods are perfect for the type of fishing I do. I rarely throw anything heavier than 2 ounces so most of my rods are rated 3/8-1.5 or 1/2-2. I also don't really chase blitz fish with snags and 4oz poppers when the beaches are crowded so I dont need to muscle fish for the courtesy of others near me. I rather throw a 1 oz buck or smaller wood swimmer in the aftermath ALONE after the beaches have cleared out for the evening. Alot of people like the mojo because it is such a versatile rod. You can snag and throw heavy pencils or toss a bomber. What reel are you going to be using? Are you fishing open beach or jetty hopping?
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline FishOn

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
Tica makes a great rod for bait, bucktailing and casting metal, but I feel they're too stiff for poppers.

Yup. But also think of the weight difference between a $80 rod and a $200 rod. A higher end lami, St croix, century will be significantly lighter.

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

Offline FishermanMIKE

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 05:24:23 PM »
read this:

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=20467.0

Steve is it?? I read this earlier thanks for posting.. Your post is mainly why I'm going to start off with a 9' Tica 2-6 with a Cabo 40 reel.. I will add a larger pole for faith in the future..

Offline FishermanMIKE

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
I have used Tica's for years not and they are my go to rod for the price.  I would love to jump up to a more expensive rod but for the money I have not been able to justify the change.

I have 2 rod lengths that I like and they are the 8' and 10' in the spinning and the 11' in the bait casting version.  If you are just going to use artificials you are going to miss out ao a lot of god fishing.  Casting a mullet in the lat spring is a blast ans is chunking (bunker) for stripers is a great way to utilize the best of both worlds.  Throw out bait and then use the shorter poles to throw your artificials.  You would be working the bottom as well as the top.

Surf Fishing is loads of fun but just this past week my uncle and I were out fishing the north jetty and his St. Croix hit something big and well to make a short story even shorter the rod cracked in 2 places.  Sounded like a gun shot.

Needless to say the rod is going back and hopefully for the sales person they can make good on it.

What area will you be fishing most?  There are tons of spots all along out coast but my favorite is Island Beach State Park.  It has miles of some of the east coasts best fishing anyone can ask for.  All you have to do is get used to reading where the breaks are and finding the holes.  There are many all along the beach, but patience surly comes in handy here.  Especially if you are fishing he weekends.

Just driving around town I saw many license plates from out of state going to and from IBSP.  In fact there was one truck from Delaware that was set up for the long haul of the weekend.  I thought Del. had some good fishing as I was always told by certain people I know from there that their waters will out fish NJ's any day of the week.  Oh well. 

Any way, the best way is to try the rods out for your self. And if you can afford the more expensive rods go for it.  But my almost 60 years of fishing in this area has proven your best bet is to learn the beach by spending time on it and in the bait and Tackle shops where you will spend most of your time fishing.

This will do 2 things, first go to a shop and just listen to the chatter to get an idea of what is biting and on what.  Than make some friends that spend a lot of time in that area as they will allow you into some pretty tight bands of guys that will only tell each other the inside info on what is happening.

Welcome to the world of Surf Fishing.  It is a fascinating way to fish and catch to boot.

Happy Carching

Paul

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the great info.. I have been mainly fishing in Lavalette beach next to one of the jetties. I'm really looking to get into surfcasting and will definitely venture out to IBSP real soon..   chrz

Mike

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 11:28:02 PM »
If your fishing the jetties make sure to fish the north sides only.  They are the deepest and fish love to hide in the rocks.  You will be amazed how many people will fish the south sides until they see the sand at a blow out tide and realize that the water is not very deep on that side.

Happy Catching Mike

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 12:48:51 AM »
 whs
Z

Offline FishOn

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 02:13:39 AM »
If your fishing the jetties make sure to fish the north sides only. 

I don't agree with this. Fish both sides. Depth has less to do with catching than the presence of bait does, especially when it's a small bait game like sandeels. Just sayin

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »
What ever...
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline FishermanMIKE

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
What ever...

HAHA your the man PED hhppy!!!

Offline FishOn

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 06:14:32 PM »
What ever...

HAHA your the man PED hhppy!!!

You are right....whatever.
Just trying to be helpful but sometimes its like...  rgmn  

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:20:38 PM by FishOn »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 11:54:17 PM »
I know that picture and I know the photographer...

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 12:08:35 AM »
I am sure there are fish on the south side at times as it would not be right to leave that out, but, if some one had limited equipment and a slight knowledge of how to fish jetties along the jersey shore would you give him a better chance of catching fish on the north side or the south side.

I would go with the probability factor of catching more fish on the north side.  Fish can be anywhere and I would be the last one to rule that out as I have caught many fish right in the wash and being shallow water.  But,  I have caught more fish in deeper water especially in the sloughs.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline FishOn

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 01:45:03 AM »
I am sure there are fish on the south side at times as it would not be right to leave that out, but, if some one had limited equipment and a slight knowledge of how to fish jetties along the jersey shore would you give him a better chance of catching fish on the north side or the south side.

I would go with the probability factor of catching more fish on the north side.  Fish can be anywhere and I would be the last one to rule that out as I have caught many fish right in the wash and being shallow water.  But,  I have caught more fish in deeper water especially in the sloughs.

Happy Catching

Paul

First of all Paul, I respect your passion for teaching people how to catch and the amount of time you contribute towards this pursuit. However, and I don't want this to get into a tiff that would be better suited on other sites, but I was only disagreeing with you not, saying your advise was wrong.

I put that pic up to help illustrate how word getting out on hot fishing can spoil it. I mean honestly, I feel sorry for anyone in that pic who has to resort to being that insanely crowded just to catch a schoolie bass. This site has great members, it's all the non member guest viewers and their 15 d-bag friends that worry me when talking about specific spots.

My first legit surf caught bass from when I was a kid was from tossing metal into a south wind, facing south on a jetty, and I have caught many more that way since. I do not like to say "always" "only" "never" when surfcasting. Just last weekend I put a plug I never tied on before just south of a flume at 3am on the "last cast.". Wouldnt you know it I beached some fish and stayed until sunup. The point I was trying to make was to try everything until you find what works. Sometimes you have to cast a certain direction just to fish a sweep properly like floating a bucktail or eel around the tip of a jetty or cut.

And in my humble opinion any little pile of rocks from PP to BI hardly counts as jetty so the point is moot.

To the OP, go to a tackle store, put a rod and reel in your hands, decide if you like it for what you need and go fish with it. Ticas arent bad rods. IMO if you have been looking to upgrade after a couple years of surf casting with a 7 footer and you are serious about it, buy the best you can reasonably afford. You will get a good warranty and have a little more pride in your stride as you walk off the beach with a good fish.

Steve is it?? I read this earlier thanks for posting.. Your post is mainly why I'm going to start off with a 9' Tica 2-6 with a Cabo 40 reel.. I will add a larger pole for faith in the future..

You are going to regret dunking a cabo in sand or water. Awesome reel just not as surf friendly other options.
I def recommend get a light duty and a heavier duty like said above
since there will always be days when it is required.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:33:04 AM by FishOn »

Offline FishermanMIKE

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 09:31:16 AM »

I would go with the probability factor of catching more fish on the north side.  Fish can be anywhere and I would be the last one to rule that out as I have caught many fish right in the wash and being shallow water.  But,  I have caught more fish in deeper water especially in the sloughs.

Happy Catching

Paul

First of all Paul, I respect your passion for teaching people how to catch and the amount of time you contribute towards this pursuit. However, and I don't want this to get into a tiff that would be better suited on other sites, but I was only disagreeing with you not, saying your advise was wrong.

I put that pic up to help illustrate how word getting out on hot fishing can spoil it. I mean honestly, I feel sorry for anyone in that pic who has to resort to being that insanely crowded just to catch a schoolie bass. This site has great members, it's all the non member guest viewers and their 15 d-bag friends that worry me when talking about specific spots.

My first legit surf caught bass from when I was a kid was from tossing metal into a south wind, facing south on a jetty, and I have caught many more that way since. I do not like to say "always" "only" "never" when surfcasting. Just last weekend I put a plug I never tied on before just south of a flume at 3am on the "last cast.". Wouldnt you know it I beached some fish and stayed until sunup. The point I was trying to make was to try everything until you find what works. Sometimes you have to cast a certain direction just to fish a sweep properly like floating a bucktail or eel around the tip of a jetty or cut.

And in my humble opinion any little pile of rocks from PP to BI hardly counts as jetty so the point is moot.

To the OP, go to a tackle store, put a rod and reel in your hands, decide if you like it for what you need and go fish with it. Ticas arent bad rods. IMO if you have been looking to upgrade after a couple years of surf casting with a 7 footer and you are serious about it, buy the best you can reasonably afford. You will get a good warranty and have a little more pride in your stride as you walk off the beach with a good fish.

You are going to regret dunking a cabo in sand or water. Awesome reel just not as surf friendly other options.
I def recommend get a light duty and a heavier duty like said above
since there will always be days when it is required.

Well I narrowed it down to a tica 9' 1/2 to 3oz either with a cabo, penn slammer or battle.. Pretty much this is what I can afford at this moment.. I don't see my self spending 300 on a rod and 700 on a reel if I'm just getting into it..

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-