Author Topic: What to buy...  (Read 3193 times)

Offline FishermanMIKE

What to buy...
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »
I have a Cabelas gift card I need to use up.. What lures should I buy for stripers off the surf?

Offline captainbailey

Re: What to buy...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »
needlefish plugs and slender tins (ava's and deadly dicks) were the key last fall as the sand eel bite was hot. Bucktails always catch fish too. My advice to you as a novice is to learn to fish bucktail jigs. They catch anything that swims at any given time of year.
Z

Offline FishermanMIKE

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »
needlefish plugs and slender tins (ava's and deadly dicks) were the key last fall as the sand eel bite was hot. Bucktails always catch fish too. My advice to you as a novice is to learn to fish bucktail jigs. They catch anything that swims at any given time of year.

I use spro buck tails for fluke.. Thanks..

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »
 whs

Especially if you will be using artificials.  If you intend to do some bait fishing (and at times it is nice to do)  pick up a couple slider rigs with at least 4/0 circle hooks and some assorted sinkers in the range your pole can handle.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »
Oh so much to buy.....so little money to shop with!
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
Given Cabelas product lines, I'd go with...
-AVAs in green, chartuese, red, white  017 & 027 sizes
-Smiling bill or andrus style bucktails in white, 3/4oz, 1oz, 1.5oz
-Uncle Josh's porkrind or plastic grub tails for the bucktails
-Diawa SP Minnows  Sardine and shiner patterns
-Deadly Dicks, Kastmater, Hopkins tins
-6&9in Sluggos and jigheads

Needlefish, teasers and other more specialized plugs you're better off looking loaclly. 

Like Mat said especially in the fall, metals and anything slender is the ticket around here.  That stuff will also work year round, so it's a good starting point. 

Offline FishermanMIKE

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:27:24 PM »

Needlefish, teasers and other more specialized plugs you're better off looking loaclly. 

Like Mat said especially in the fall, metals and anything slender is the ticket around here.  That stuff will also work year round, so it's a good starting point. 

Hey Chris,

I appreciate the list. I will definitely look into purchasing some of what you mentioned.. Cabelas really doesn't have much.. I'm better off going to the LBS.. Maybe I'll check cabelas for a pair of pliers or a decent knife..

Offline FishOn

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:35:07 PM »

Hey Chris,

I appreciate the list. I will definitely look into purchasing some of what you mentioned.. Cabelas really doesn't have much.. I'm better off going to the LBS.. Maybe I'll check cabelas for a pair of pliers or a decent knife..

That's a much better idea. Buy your plugs local. Let's keep our mom and pop b&ts in business.  Good pliers that can cut 4x hooks or a spool of line or some waders etc from the warehouses. Save the plug and rigging purchases for the local guys. On a side note I have 118 plugs, not counting bucktails and tins. I use maybe three or four 95% of the time. Stick with what works which has been listed above. Black or black/chrome bombers, sp minnows, needles, andrus bucktails (spros suck for bass fishing), slender metal, a popper or two, some custom wood plugs for spice. Like said above, learn to fish a bucktail properly and you will not need anything else, they catch everything
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 08:50:21 AM »

Hey Chris,

That's a much better idea. Buy your plugs local. Let's keep our mom and pop b&ts in business.  Good pliers that can cut 4x hooks or a spool of line or some waders etc from the warehouses. Save the plug and rigging purchases for the local guys. On a side note I have 118 plugs, not counting bucktails and tins. I use maybe three or four 95% of the time. Stick with what works which has been listed above. Black or black/chrome bombers, sp minnows, needles, andrus bucktails (spros suck for bass fishing), slender metal, a popper or two, some custom wood plugs for spice. Like said above, learn to fish a bucktail properly and you will not need anything else, they catch everything

whs Plus the local B&T carry what works well in your area
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-