Author Topic: Surf Fishing Surf City, Ship Bottom LBI...any tips?  (Read 7196 times)

Offline Mbailey33

Surf Fishing Surf City, Ship Bottom LBI...any tips?
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »
Hello all, new to the forums here, this is a gem of a find for sure.
Started Surf fishing a few years ago with the kids, figured if im gonna be surrounded by water, you can sure bet im going to have a fishing pole. Well to say the least, im hooked (bad pun i know lol, couldnt resist)....I was looking to see if anyone could throw some tips my way regarding surf fishing Surf City, or Ship Bottom, rigs, bait etc. I really dont target one specific species. Ive got my littleones hooked as well, they have a blast having anything tighten their line.
Oh, and the write up on "Reading the Sand" was brilliant!!

I look forward to chatting with you gents,
Have a great day

Matt

How can one not love Surf fishing when this is what greets you in the morning while your sipping your coffee.

My Son, and a heck of a great sunrise

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:38:00 AM by Mbailey33 »
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow

Offline FishOn

Re: Surf Fishing Surf City, Ship Bottom LBI...any tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »
Welcome to the site!  I don't fish down there and I don't often bait fish but others on here will give you plenty of tips and advice. I will say this. That's a beautiful pic but why are the rods spiked do far apart? If you get a cautious nibble on the far rod, by the time you get to it you will have missed your chance. Couldn't you spike them closer together and angle the lines out? Or closer together with one set long and one set short? Anyway advice is on the way....
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline Mbailey33

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »
Howdy Fishon,

Thanks for saying hello sir!

The empty pole was where i was fishing from, but i had to take this picture, the whole time running past my son, i was thinking "Im gonna turn around and get an action shot of my pole sliding down the beach  ;D" I set the drag really loose, just in case that actually happened.

This site is amazing, ive learned more reading this morning, than in the 2 years ive been surf fishing. Im a freshwater guy by trade, but my heart is now on the beach.
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »
 grtn You have already completed a big help and that is reading the sand, Secondly bait fishing is a productive way but sometimes can get boring, however the best way to figure it out :headscra: is hang out at a local B&T and make some friends with the guys. There the ones who know what how and where, going with that there are some who always say the fishing is great here here and here and on this but be wary for they have to say so if they said, " fishings been crap the last few days around here." you wouldnt spend any money in there, so make friends on the beach especially with the old timers. If you have any specific questions on anything rigs weights methods etc. feel free to ask.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:27:50 AM »
I would target fluke during the day with a bucktail or strip bait slowly dragged across the bottom. There are still bass to be had at night so soak some chunks.

Also, blues never pass up a free meal.
Z

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »
Welcome to the group  grtn. Make youself right at home.
Awesome pic there.   Sunrise is definitely one of my favorite parts of surf fishing.

Offline Moosegate

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 07:22:45 AM »
Get some hi/lo rigs with smaller hooks...about size 2/0. Bait with small clam pieces and cast out. This time of year you can catch a lot of different fish in the wash, everything from fluke to bass to weakies to blues to kings to blowfish to drum. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-