Author Topic: 8/26 Fluke, Sea Bass, and a Bluefish Blitz to boot  (Read 1488 times)

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
8/26 Fluke, Sea Bass, and a Bluefish Blitz to boot
« on: August 28, 2007, 06:07:09 PM »
Weird day... late start with my Sweetie, Paul, and Jeffbo aboard. Started fishing on outgoing tide at the point of the Hook in 60-70 ft of water. Minimal drift, slow pickin's but 2 flatties for the box at 18" & 19", with some shorts and a few robbins. Bucktail with squid and killie combo seemed to work best. Gulp bright red sandworms also saw some action.
Moved down off Gunnison Beach where many boats spotted; one more flat at 18" and more shorts in 15-25 ft of water- head boats setting up repeated drifts right off the beach but not seeing much coming over the rails.
Jeffbo (aka masterfisher) inexplicably was queasy even on a relatively calm day; like I said weird. Motored down & out to the rocks with almost complete disregard for his comfort (I had a tough crowd) where seabass were almost drop & reel on same setups. Paul has his first seabass (and 2nd, 3rd, etc)Mostly shorts, but using light tackle so fun was had by all (except of course Jeffbo who refused to listen to advice to eat something bland like bread and NOT lie down across the bow.... but he wasn't complaining much so we stayed out)
Finally headed back to find peanuts boiling and bluefish jumping near the fish traps in the bay off the CG station- nice 3-5lb blues underneath hitting anything shiny. Jeffbo started feeling better at that point and had himself some fun finally. The blues were bleeding and puking just like you knew they would -- we even recycled some regurgitated peanuts; hard to envision even more action than the AVAs and Hopkins' we were pitching. Did that for a while until some Jackshaft in a Sea Hunt comes flying right thru the frenzy almost clipping a few boats in the process. Mr. Shaft backs it down in what WAS the middle of the boil and starts casting....We called it a (great) day.... Too bad I forgot to remember not to forget the camera... next time..

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: 8/26 Fluke, Sea Bass, and a Bluefish Blitz to boot
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 06:12:18 PM »
very nice report.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 8/26 Fluke, Sea Bass, and a Bluefish Blitz to boot
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 07:26:15 PM »
Nice report.  Good job on the blues.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-