Author Topic: [FAQ]What is one of the better set ups for fishing for striper ?  (Read 38975 times)

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
What is one of the better set ups for fishing for striper ? Rod, reel, etc. I am a fisherman at heart, but i like to have the NEW nice reels, with a nice NEW rod. Everything i have is a few years old, gotta go out and spend some money.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:59:17 AM by Hotrod »
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
Re: What is one of the better set ups for fishing for striper ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 07:16:07 PM »
I like the calcutta reel w/ a loomis rod

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:09:49 PM »
Are you fishing from Boat or Surf?

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:01:33 PM »
I am 50/50 on fishing from boat and surf. I do more SURF fishing. But i do go out in my freinds boat a few times during the year.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 04:23:29 PM »
Will a Trion GX-7 Reel work, with maybe a Browning rod ? I think this is my pole i use for salmon, but it may be ok.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 05:56:13 PM »
if you are looking for a all around try to get a shimanno bait runner w/ a matching rod

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 07:00:24 PM »
alright is there a good deal combination for like 100$ ?

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 05:43:32 PM »
Hi,

Capt Rod - What did the Baitrunner/Ugly Stick combo go for ... $200?

Thanks,

Ed

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 07:32:41 PM »
hopefully my baseball betting goes well this week.. ill buy me a nice setup

heh.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 09:43:32 PM »
Hi,

Capt Rod - What did the Baitrunner/Ugly Stick combo go for ... $200?

Thanks,

Ed

150$ ish..

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 10:06:19 PM »
I have about a 9 foot ugly stick, with a shimano spinning real, and 20 pound test, how does that sound capt's

Fish On

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 10:19:44 PM »
Hi fishon42,

It sounds just as good as anything that people would recommend. BTW, what Shimano reel?

Is this just for surf fishing?

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 04:50:11 PM »
It is a Shimano Solstace Spinning reel, nothing fancy but it works. I use the same reels and rods for just about any fish, especially ocean. Then of course i have a small trout pole for freshwater.

Fish On

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 09:53:50 PM »
I like the calcutta reel w/ a loomis rod

Have been using a pair of GLoomis SWR843Cs matched with a Calcutta 400 since 1997 for chunking, clamming and jigging bass. great setup.

Offline Great Bay Junky

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 10:46:14 AM »
Shop around and you put together a good used setup. Over the winter I bought a nice used Shimano 4500 baitrunner for 45.00 and nice used StCroix spinning rod for 75.00. If I bought them new it would have over double the price.
This too shall pass.

Offline bustedknuckle

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 08:10:14 PM »
An all around inshore boat set up:  Avet SX spooled with 30 lb PP on a 7 ft Lamiglas inshore classic 70MH.   Saaaweet!!!!!
"I'm tryin' to walk a straight line, on sour mash and cheap wine"

Offline Capt.Dave

• Absecon Bay Sportsman Center
Re: [FAQ]What is one of the better set ups for fishing for striper ?
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 07:32:04 AM »
I'd better put my two cents worth in here because I see about 15 great replys and about 15 great combos.  As amater of fact I probably have over 100 different rods and as many reels in the store that in certain conditions could be considered "Striper Rods" and I have chosen every one because in some way I feel it is the BEST for a certain situation.

I feel many anglers limit themselves  to one or two rods for an unlimited number of fishing situations.  With todays quality tackle at reasonable prices, in many cases the BEST is pricy and overkill for many situations.  Dumping your wallet on one rod may  limit your  options. After all, if you ever do go on a golf course or happen to flip to the golf channel, look how many clubs they carry around in those bags, and Golfers are hitting the same round ball every time. 

You probably have boxes of lures going after different fish of various sizes in all kind of weather conditions.  Every spot and every bait is different. 

When you are looking for tackle think about details how you fish and ask questions that help narrow down the search, and don't make the mistake of buying by price tag. 

The Ugly Stick Baitrunner combo mentioned is probably one of the best and toughest combos available for the money, and If you are going chunking it will do the job, but for throwing lures or jigs, give me a decent graphite 6-1/2' to 7' extra fast action in medium heavy and I'll be hooking fish you didn't even know existed.

Offline eagleyankfan

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 08:08:17 AM »
Great advice.

I love Shimano Baitrunners.  They last forever.  I got my 6500 when they were selling for 99. 

One other thing you can do with this combo is snack bunker when needed.  Like everyone has said, great combo.

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »
Every one here is on the money, you can never go wrong with a shimano bait runner.I have a 6500 and a 4500 and I like them better than my stradics. The new stradics arent noisy like the ones I have,but your going to pay more for them. Its really a personal preference,but you get what you pay for. Look at Tica rods, they are reasonable, and hold up very well.

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »
From my experiences, Shimano reels hold up the best. I own an 8+ yr. old stradic, two 4 year old spheros, two 5 yr. old cadiff's. All of the above are used at least once a week, usually 2 or 3 times. Only basic mainteance has been performed on these,   new washers, worm gears, etc.

I also own a pair of tld stars I use for trolling about 10 times a year for the past  8 years. Never an issue.

Although my current surf reel is daiwa, i still prefer any of my shimano's.           
Z

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-