Author Topic: Brown Crab shell info  (Read 6442 times)

Offline newcaddy4j

Brown Crab shell info
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
I've read a couple posts about the crabs from around the Raritan having "brown growth", I personally haven't seen it.  But I have definitely seen crabs with stained brown shells.   I've always equated this to an older crab.  Just an FYI.

Good website.

http://www.bluecrab.info/prime.htm

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
Re: Brown Crab shell info
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »
Thanks ,been crabbing for 50+ years and learned some thing .Good to know . slt

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:49 PM »
Yes there brown growth when they live in Mud mostly in the creeks and rivers like the Navisink up in red bank. that made for a good read. If you ever get a chance to got to Christville MD its a crab mecca. I was there for a week end and luck out with a tour of one of the Plants, I saw the Boats The Cookers the  pickers and machines that finish them off. then what looked like a Jail it was the shredder tables behind barbed wire and locked gates each crabber had their own section, god forbid poaching, The festival they have is a no miss but rooms are in short supply. look up the area about the out Islands a lot of history and all. Bill

Offline newcaddy4j

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
I watched a show on the Chesapeake once and they showed the women who worked at the crab processing plants.  Insane.  They could pick and sort an entire crab under a minute.   And I mean picked clean.   

They boil the crabs in seawater, straight out of the bay.  From the boat directly to a pot.     

Wish I remembered what show it was.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »
dirty jobs! t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
No Boil the have giant steamers I will try to find the photos I took. The pickers are paid by the pound and they are fast.  And I might add make very good money.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 06:56:31 PM »
 slt

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-