Author Topic: First offshore trip  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Vinfrey

First offshore trip
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »
Looking to go offshore for bluefin out of Barnegat inlet probably near the resor or Atlantic princess. Should we troll, jig or chum? Suggestions?

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
Re: First offshore trip
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »
Yes!  ;)
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:29:15 AM »
Yes!  ;)

wa

And Yes--x2

Go with Carl He will teach you   ;D   t^ t^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »
point is be ready for it all.

take your cues on what to do when you get there.

if one thing is not working make a change.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »
Looking to go offshore for bluefin out of Barnegat inlet probably near the resor or Atlantic princess. Should we troll, jig or chum? Suggestions?

Good luck and welcome! I've been trying to get out for weeks. Damn weather!  rgmn

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
The resor and ap have been hot this year so far, but slowed down the last  couple weeks I believe. Check for temp breaks near some structure and shoot for that. With the messed up weather lately and lack of reports, its hard to get a good idea of where to go. It may just be a crap shoot for this weekend.

Head for a destination, stop short and throw the spread out. Troll through the area of choice watching the screen for marks.

If your marking bait with fish on them, but they won't raise for your spread after a good amount of runs through the area, stop and try to jig on good marks and see what happens.

The other week, the bluefish where like a carpet below us, thick enough to make the sounder say it was only 20feet deep, and the bft's where underneath them. So if your trolling along and find something similar, go ahead and try to sneak a jig or two past the blues down and tight to the bottom. You may be surprised what you can find.

If that don't work, then i would try and chunk on some very good marks. Only down side of chunking is I feel you become committed to that spot.

Don't be afraid to move around, and go ahead and troll from one spot to another if they are close enough together, or structure is between the spots your traversing between.

And most importantly,,, stick it out for the day. Stay out as long as you have the fuel and weather window to do so safely. Don't get pissed if you haven't caught anything by 11:00am and head home. Last time out we where rewarded with a high noon feeding blitz, which saved the day.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline rdent5

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 04:37:22 PM »
im also looking to do my first offshore trip we should team up let me know

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »
 wts

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »
Hey guys. I havent been off yet for my first BFT either. I run from Mansquan. If you'd like to buddy boat let me know. I always post my trips in the float plan section. I don't have great range so the Resor or Glory Hole and inside them is about all I can do.

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Screamnreels

• Capt. Ron
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »
I may be heading out this weekend. The day will be decided on the weather. I also run out of BI

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-