Author Topic: Live spot in Navesink River  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Irish_Hokie

• Full Member of the Den
Live spot in Navesink River
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »
We snagged a live spot in the Navesink while anchored up for crabbing. We were blind casting metals for snappers. Only snagged one. Have not heard of live spot this far North. Will put out on dead stick while fluking today.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
Re: Live spot in Navesink River
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:12:03 AM »
 slt The Spots have been all over he place this summer. and good sizes too. from the ocean to the bays and rivers its a explosion. I see them caught in the surf in Ocean Grove along with King Fish. They are every where in The Raritan Bay and its rivers. I have seen numbers caught at The Port Monmouth Jettys. Spy House Pier. Key Port in General. Even caught in the Box Crab Traps. and cast nets. My grand son and I use a small split shot #8 hook go to the bottom with a very small PC of Clam -or Squid. even worm PCS. The same for King Fish.  Bounce or dead stick. Around structure is best. Most people I fished with say they are bone"y But what else is New fish have bones. others like to live line them. ( Blue Fish ) love them. Wish the Striped Bass were around. But with all the bait that is around this year is should be a banner year for them. Plus the invasion of the Big chopper blues should happen soon.

Offline DJ76

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »
caught one crabbing a few weeks ago in the navesink by the railroad tressel and about a month ago caught one in the surf in surf city.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline bayonne

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
weakfish and big fluke love spot also we catch them all the time in newark bay and some times of year laffyates think spelling is wrong but their good live lined to

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »
Spots and lafiets no matter how spelled must be Slang for what the are called as a species. I could not locate a photo or any other info on them fcp

Offline Vinnym

• Morning Dew Sportfishing
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »
Lots of spots are being caught off the pier in Perth Amboy. Mostly small that I have seen.
Morning Dew Sport Fishing
Perth Amboy

Tight Lines & Calm Seas

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
4 to 7 inches is the norm.  slt

Offline Irish_Hokie

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:02 PM »
So we  used a drift rig to hook the spot and left the clicker on in freespool. No hit in 45 minutes just on Flynn's Knoll, but did get 19" fluke there on killie and squid. Moved West of Sandy Hook channel. After 30 minutes checked and only the head remained with the hook in it remained. Surgical cut by a bluefish must have done it, and the clicker never went off? Fun trying something new. Thanks for all the other info on spots.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »
The trick is to hook the spot top dorsal. No need to hide the hook. some use trebles but I am a circle hook guy.

Offline Mbailey33

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:56:30 PM »
caught one crabbing a few weeks ago in the navesink by the railroad tressel and about a month ago caught one in the surf in surf city.

Same here back in July  we caught dozens....lots of double hookups on our hi/lo's while looking for Kings
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
Spots and lafiets no matter how spelled must be Slang for what the are called as a species. I could not locate a photo or any other info on them fcp

The proper name is "Norfolk Spot"  Norfolk Spot Info
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline bayonne

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
http://www.google.com/search?q=spot+fish&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aQQ4UMvHD4iK0QGrloDIDg&ved=0CCsQsAQ

cant find anything on lafiets but simalar in size diferant shape green and siver bars we get loads of them in the rivers by me both are in the porgy or crocker family
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:57:44 PM by bayonne »

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »
Reelmcoy nice search thanks Bill slt clp

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-