Author Topic: Looking for new striper jigging rod/reel for this fall  (Read 5461 times)

Offline fnsmag

• Full Member of the Den
Looking for new striper jigging rod/reel for this fall
« on: September 06, 2007, 05:32:44 PM »
I currently use an Avet SX on a Lamiglas BL7030 for clamming bass but am looking for a new setup for fall party boat jigging...any suggestions?

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Re: Looking for new striper jigging rod/reel for this fall
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:21:48 PM »
How much $$ are you looking to spend?

If $$ is no concern check out the GLoomis Pro Blue Line. Either the 843C or slightly heavier 844C would fit the bill nicely. I have the 843C and love it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum the Tsunami 7' MH casting rod (can't recall the exact model # off the top my head-but my son has this rod & I can post the # later if you're interested) is an excellant choice.

Offline mikeynnj

• AKA Gilligan
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 06:36:36 PM »
Not trying to hijack your thread fnsmag, but I have a similar question. I just purchased 2 new rod's. Gloomis Pro Blue water series PBR785C and a PBR844S. Now i'm looking for mid range reels for striper fishing to compliment these rods. Only reason I bought the rods was because I got a deal of 60% off from a charter captain friend of mine.Otherwise I never would have purchased such expensive (but well worth it) rods.
no one said life is going to be perfect; build a bridge and get over it.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

For a conventional reel, it is hard to beat a Shimano Tekota 500. I spool it with 50 lb. Power Pro and it pulls with the best of them. They have a good drag. I use it for Stripers, blues and deepwater bottom fishing.

I have 8 of them and none of them have failed (the oldest 2 are 4 seasons old), even with heavy charter use and little or no maintenance.

The new Torque 100 has my attention as well.

As for rods, I am a fan of St. Croix's, Seeker, the Shimano Compre and I like the Trevala for jigging (there are some good high speed reels like the Torque to pair with it or of coursethe Shimano Torsa).

There are so many good choices that I would go to a good shop and pair different rods and reels and check them for balance, weight and fit for yourself.

I tried to answer both questions in one post. If you have questions, please feel free to PM.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 09:06:26 PM »
Gloomis Pro Blue water series PBR785C and a PBR844S.

For the 785C a Shimano Tekota 500 or an Abu 6500 Pro Rocket would do nicely. The Shimano would be around $150 and the Abu $130. I have my PBR843C matched with a Shimano Calcutta 400

For the 844S a Shimano Stradic ST5000F1 or 6000F1 runs about $155 or a Daiwa BG 20 for about $60 (sounds cheap but it is a work horse of a reel. I own serveral BG reels in various sizes that I bought way back in the 1980's and not only do they stand the test of time & fish but they are pretty much built today as they were when I bought them).

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 11:09:55 PM »
Mike,

I use on my boat Okuma 300L reels and Medium 7' Salt Water Ugly Stik's........work great for either jigging or clamming/eeling.

Reel=$50    Rod=$55     Fun=Priceless TT^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 11:07:15 AM »
I agree- the med/hvy ugly stiks have good value and performance.... All this talk on Abus lately I'm checking into them as well.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 02:51:53 AM »
...If $$ is no concern check out the GLoomis Pro Blue Line. Either the 843C or slightly heavier 844C would fit the bill nicely. I have the 843C and love it...

I have been jigging with basically this same rod for about 10 or so years now.  Only back then it was sold as the MU843C (Muskie Rod).  It is a very strong and versatile blank.  You can jig comfortably using up to 6 oz.  And it will handle up to 12 oz. of lead for bottom fishing with no problem.

I have it matched up to a Shimano Calcutta 400 with 50# Power Pro braid.  Excellent combo. ;)

I recently got a complete Butterfly jigging set-up.  It is a 6'3" Shimano Trevala rod (rated for 30#-80# braid)with a Shimano Torium 16 high speed reel spooled with 50# Sufix braid.
I also stocked up on some Shimano (and other brand) Butterfly jigs.

I'm going to try out this new system on some bluefish Wednesday.  Once the season really gets under way, I'll be using it on stripers! ;D

This combo feels like it's going to be a winner.  But I will post back after I give it a thorough workout Wednesday and let you know how it is.

-Bob

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 01:01:42 PM »
In addition to the Loomis PBR843C I have, I also have 2 other Loomis rods from their discontinued Saltwater Series--both are the SWR843C. In essence the PBR843C and SWR843C are the same rods.

Like yourself, all 3 are matched with a Shimano Calcutta 400 with power handles.

Personally I don't like using over a 6 ounce jig on them.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-