Author Topic: Keeping Fiddler Crabs Alive  (Read 7262 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Keeping Fiddler Crabs Alive
« on: September 08, 2007, 03:02:51 PM »
Since the end of fluke season is just days away-some of us will be switching over to sea bass fishing for the next few weeks.

One of my favorite sea bass baits (as well as blackfish) are fiddler crabs--problem is that not too many bait & tackle shop carry them.

But fortune shined on me this morning. I went back to the area my son and I fished last Monday and after the tide was half way out a huge mud flat was exposed and on this mud flat was literally hundred of thousand fiddler crabs  ;D. If I harvest a half bucket or so of the fiddlers and keep them overnight in a bucket placed in my garage-do you think they'll remain alive for fishing the next day? I think they will.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Re: Keeping Fiddler Crabs Alive
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 01:02:19 PM »
Free Bait  ;D

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 01:05:52 PM »
They are hearty little critters, just keep them cool and moist and you should have on problem t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 04:41:26 PM »
aren't they hard to catch.. don't they run back into the mud once they see something...  they spook very easy
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 05:05:53 PM »
aren't they hard to catch.. don't they run back into the mud once they see something...  they spook very easy
They are fast but I had my son stand on the opposite side driving them back towards me. Will take some effort to gather enough for a day's fishing but very doable.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-