Author Topic: Sea Bassing Techniques  (Read 21914 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Sea Bassing Techniques
« on: September 11, 2007, 07:30:19 AM »
Now that Fluking has come to a close, I was wondering if the collective body membership of this excellent site would share specific techniques for improving sea bass catch.  I've had my share of reasonable take of cbass this year targeting fluke in structured areas.  While fluking, it was clear that cbass were stacked and scattered around nice structure but I'd like to focus on those tasty critters. Any helpful hints on anchoring, rig configurations, choice of bait, not too proud to ask for favorite locations either  ;) etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Pilot

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: Sea Bassing Techniques
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:11:52 AM »
Hi Pilot2550,

Great question!

I have a few tips for you that will make sense when you get out on the water.

I use the Fluke season to find areas for Sea Bass. You are correct - STRUCTURE which I have been preaching for what seems like an eternity. I found this year to be especially good on wrecks and rocks! Use the commercial guys gear as starting points if you have not fished that much this year.

1. This is a game of getting out there early. The best spots are usually taken quickly. As most people anchor over or grapple into the wrecks/reefs/rocks, you must get to the spot first. I find if I am at a location at 6:00AM, I have a good hour to get setup before anyone approaches.

2. I use high/low rigs. Early in the fall I use squid/sandeel on the bottom and clam on top. I then drift an area (very tight drifts) to locate the main body of fish. Pay attention to the bait they are hitting. I do use crabs, but after I am anchored in.

3. Here is the hard part. If you are catching lots of porgies and croakers, you are screwed. That is why I pre-fish an area. But, that does not always tell the whole story. The porgies and croakers are aggressive but move out as the water cools. The one problem with that is that the spiny dogfish return when the water cools enough. So, bring a lot of rigs.

4. You rig needs to be nearly straight up and down. Use enough weight. Even though you are not drifting, the current can be ripping on the bottom.

5. Try different depths over the wreck/reef/structure. I use line counter reels sometimes when the fish are picky. They can be a good distance off the bottom.

6. Try a Ava, hopkins or other shiny jig (single hooks please - trebels destroy fishes mouths). They catch!

7. Keep warm!

The best inshore Sea Bass fishing is past (large knuckleheads move offshore and the Artificial reefs and rocks have been picked over pretty hard), but there should be plenty of keepers around. The fishery used to be closed for part of September (due to spawning ???). So, the fish may not be on the bite as well as later in the Fall.

Good luck,

Capt. Ed

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 11:05:14 AM »
excellent info capt. ED..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 11:17:24 AM »
The best inshore Sea Bass fishing is past (large knuckleheads move offshore and the Artificial reefs and rocks have been picked over pretty hard), but there should be plenty of keepers around. The fishery used to be closed for part of September (due to spawning ???). So, the fish may not be on the bite as well as later in the Fall.

Good luck,

Capt. Ed

Thanks again  t^ Once more showing you are a catching encyclopedia

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »
All good info Capt Ed.

For the guys who are new to the bottom fishing.  Don't be shy, use a marker bouy. When you find the spot to fish on your depth finder put the marker over the side.  Use enough line on the marker plus another ten feet.  That is, if you are in fifty feet of water use sixty feet or so of line.  If you use too much line the marker will lay to far past your spot to get an accurate placement of where you should be.  If you do not use enough extra line the marker weight will be lifted off of the bottom with any wave action and will continually move back off of your spot. 

Now, pull up to the marker and stop.  Let your boat drift to see the direction of the drift, bring the boat back across the marker continueing to a spot 3-7 times the depth of the water, depending on conditions.  That will allow you to put the anchor out and drift back to the marker and hold.  Once you are set, take mental notes as to how the fishing is going, you may need to adjust the anchor for changing wind, tide or current.
I hope I explained this so it is understandable.

Good luck to all.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:17:40 PM »
another great source of information... thanks Irish...

What i do is use my chart, pick a nice structure, knowing how difficult it is to get directly on top of it, I try to pick a barge of about 100' or more... this way even if the boat swings a bit, I am still on top of the structure... 

There are some rail cars, tugs and structures that are much smaller which will make it more difficult to stay directly on top of it.. 

If your not too experienced in anchoring, just find something larger to anchor over..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 03:29:02 PM »
WHAT ED SAID whs whs

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 10:52:15 PM »
Excellent info Capt Ed,Irish, and Luna.  Regarding anchors...  I've been talking to a  wreck diver and he describes a break away anchors made from re bar. Essentially four j hooks of about 18-24" welded together. Makes for a easier release if your on the wreck and worse case your cutting that loose vs your danforth.  Any other thoughts or design ideas for breakaways?  How about home made buoy markers?  Any construction suggestions?

Capt Ed, what common size AVA & Hopkins would you suggest be in the tool kit?

Thanks
Pilot

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 12:00:08 AM »
Pilot, the break away anchors are excellent for wrecks and rocky areas.  If it gets hung up you power the boat foward until the arm that is caught straightens out.  You then retrieve the anchor, rebend the arm and you are good to go.

As far as the Ava, it will depend on the strength of the current.  You need a large enough Ava or any weight you are using, for that matter, to keep you straight up and down.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 09:50:14 AM »
If anybody needs break away anchors for wreck fishing Capt. Joe of Pappa's AngelsCharters makes and sells them for $25   He does a god job and it's a real good price

Je's Ph is 973-277-3096

I've got a couple and they work real good t^

Offline rossg

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 07:56:43 AM »
I just bought an anchor at Bogans that you attach at the bottom.Thats right the bottom..You then move your chain to the top and attach it to the top with the thing that electricians bundle wire together with.
When you are ready to leave the plastic piece breaks bringing the attachment of the anchor to the bottom and the removal from the wreck is easy.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 09:19:56 AM »
For what its wrth that the kind, Capt joe makes TT^

Offline sealife

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 08:54:25 PM »
The rebar works very well and will let go with a tug to be bent and used another day but it also does not always allow the boat to set right over th structure and it makes it harder to adjutst the boats position.  This is a quick and easy to hook up to the wreck fix and works well on larger wrecks/rocks.  The alternative is a danforth out in the sand that holds you right over the wreck or even two anchors on a bridle.  As far as marker buoys I use a commercial foam float that is about 10-12 inches long and cut a long groove on a wood lateh in it to hold the line.  I carry several of these with various line lenghts from 60 to 120'.  I use a piece of brass brazing rod to make a loop and pour a soda can half full of lead to use as a weight.  We used to fill the can but if the line tangles it sinks the float.  Less than a half can and the marker can walk away in the ocean swell.   Once we get to the wreck and mark it we go back to the marker and drift for maybe 5 minutes to get the drift course.  We then run the reciprical and set the anchor.  The real question is how far past the wreck is the right spot.  I also usually set the marker off to one side because enough if you miss the wreck the anchor alsow manages to snag the marker buoy.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 08:57:03 PM »
I use a Clorox bttle painted yellow, 75-100 feet of parachute crd and a sash weight.......worked for my Dad, working for me t^

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 11:52:56 AM »
Outstanding!

Offline cheesyguy

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 01:20:33 AM »
I have a question about what kind of bait to use... are killies any good for seabass?

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 09:17:17 AM »
I have a question about what kind of bait to use... are killies any good for seabass?
Yes, and seabass will eat anything including chicken gizzards.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 09:17:45 PM »
clam, squid, spearing, killies, crab, pretty much, whatever you put it on the hook you will probably catch a seabass.  But the above will probably catch the best.

Offline cheesyguy

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 11:44:10 PM »
Thanks alot IrishAyes and Luna.   TT^

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 04:18:54 PM »
Plenty of good advice here about anchoring.  Anyone drift for sea bass?  On some of the larger reefs like the Sea Girt Reef for the Axel Carlson, has anyone had success on the drift? 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-