Author Topic: Winter Flounder Rigs  (Read 148104 times)

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
Re: Winter Flounder Rigs
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2009, 06:41:59 AM »
Very informative, this old dog learned a few new tricks. thanks
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2010, 01:04:44 PM »
Hoping to take in all the information here and build my knowledge base for the future years.  Cant wait to get out from all this weather and snow and get out on the water......

Gimper
The trouble with fishing is it was better before you got there, and after you left.
When in doubt...exaggerate

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »
wait... winter flounder? I thought they were extinct....

or regulated out of existence  rgmn

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2010, 05:50:08 PM »

Some may disagree, but I think winter flounder were under regulated out of existense.   rgmn

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »

Some may disagree, but I think winter flounder were under regulated out of existense.   rgmn

Totally agree with you Bob...

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2010, 01:15:15 PM »
I wonder what they intend to do, to replenish the fisheries or even if thats in the equation. In the comming years we'll see a marine license that won't be cheap. With the revenue from that will come more fish cops and a slew of regulation's to keep them busy and earning
I wonder if they plan to start hatcheries and stock the oceans?
Wonder if before I die will I have to buy a flounder stamp/weak fish stamp/whiting stamp/etc.

Or will they just regulate the recreational angler out of existence

Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2010, 04:40:55 PM »

I agree too!  Under regulated and mismanaged.  If it wasn't because a lack of Regs than it certainly was because of a lack of management of the species.  They need to find out why and what can be done.  I guess eventually, we may be able to add winter flounder to the same list whiting are on and soon to be weakfish :'(!

nosmly

Offline nmigliore

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »
I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but what is meant by they are regulated (or under regulated) out of existence? Is there no more fishing for winter flounder in NJ waters?

If they are still fished for, is mid/late-March still the best season?

Thanks to anyone who can help out a winter flounder noobie :)!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2010, 02:23:14 PM »
Winter flounder season opens March 23 and closes on May 21. There is a two fish limit and they have to be at least 12 inches.  :P
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline nmigliore

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2010, 02:54:04 PM »
Ah okay, thanks man. Even though flounder is by FAR my favorite fish delicacy, I'm a catch-and-release guy with just about everything, believe it or not, so the limit doesn't bother me. :)

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2010, 06:05:39 PM »
Wow bucktail I'm glad the topic wasn't world peace. Thanks for the info my input is egg sinkers painted yellow or pink.Small pices of tape worm work well for me and small blood worms too. I use the sam set up as my shallow fluke rod especially with tjhe stronger currents and the smaller fish its important to me not to dead stick but hold the rod and don't be over anxious because then tend to slurp on the bait
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2010, 02:10:58 PM »
 TT^  Great Info. Thanks Guys    TT^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »
I know this was a very old article but, I found it very informative. I see several people mentioned Manasquan/PP. I hope to have the boat in the water in the next two weeks or so.

Do you think the Manasquan is productive this time of year to just take the wife and kids out to catch a few? Would the sod banks before or after the railroad bridge be my best bet?

Do you know where I can get chum in the Manasquan area?

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2012, 01:36:10 PM »
Mouth of Canal and mantoloking bridge

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »
I know this was a very old article but, I found it very informative. I see several people mentioned Manasquan/PP. I hope to have the boat in the water in the next two weeks or so.

Do you think the Manasquan is productive this time of year to just take the wife and kids out to catch a few? Would the sod banks before or after the railroad bridge be my best bet?

Fred

No need for any of that go buy 2 sand worms, drive to the bridge, drop down to the bottom, reel up flounder, repeat last two steps, go home with limit. t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2012, 07:10:02 PM »
 ;D

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2012, 07:15:33 PM »

Fred

No need for any of that go buy 2 sand worms, drive to the bridge, drop down to the bottom, reel up flounder, repeat last two steps, go home with limit. t^

Nice! I am just looking for something to wet the line. 2 fish to take home is ok for me. Who knows, maybe an unlucky striper could be found on a dead stick.

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2012, 07:24:51 PM »

Fred

Nice! I am just looking for something to wet the line. 2 fish to take home is ok for me. Who knows, maybe an unlucky striper could be found on a dead stick.

Fred
3/1/2012

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2012, 07:31:47 PM »

Fred

Grab a chum log at brielle b&t by the bridge in brielle.  I've never done that well with winter flounder but there is definitely a fishery for them in this area.  Upper barnegat seems to be alittle better on the whole, like the canal mouth or the mantoloking bridge.  I mostly look for whatever structure has the warmest water.  Unfortunately, the sod banks in the river do not really drop off to deep enough water to be fishable at most tides. 
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-