Author Topic: Fall stripers  (Read 101026 times)

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Fall stripers
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 10:14:38 PM »
Cool Ross t^

Thanks For the kind words.  These boys love to help TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 10:17:19 PM »
Good job Ross.  It only gets better from here!  

A few more stripers...keepers...NO SLEEP - because you are on the beach till the wee hours of the morning.    thud

It doesn't get any better than that.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline bossross

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »
Thanks Capt Joe.

Here's another ques for you...I know I've read on this forum about the anchor that you use to anchor over structure (made of rebar) but I can't seem to find the thread. What are those called and where can I get one? A friend took me blackfishing and now I'm determined to learn to do that too.

Thanks
Ross

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 10:35:32 PM »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline bossross

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2007, 10:45:49 PM »
Exactly....Thank you.

Ross

Offline seameister

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
Hey guys!
I have some question too.
How do u use diamond jigs (A47) on surf or on jetties?
Where can i find good jetties?
What is the best method to fish for bass on surf in summer?
Thanx!
Seameister    ::)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 11:57:38 PM »
Hi seameister,

I guess thats my cue, Sit back and get ready to learn son.  Only kidding, I always wanted to say that.

All kidding aside.  You are in a very good spot to try your luck for stripers.  But you will have to do your homework and put your time in.  It won't be cheap to get started so go slow and work your way into it.
y
First before I get into what to use what kind of rod and reel do you use for the surf.  This is important because in order to throw metal and plugs you might have to have a couple of outfits

For heavy plugs in the area of 3 and over oz a good 10 to 11' rod rated for over 6 oz would work great.  If you have ever heard the expression of 8 & bait they are talking about an 8 0z sinker plus the bait usually a good size bunker head with at least a 10/0 circle hook.  Inorder to throw that kikng of load you need some serious equipment.

For what you are looking for a good 10 to 11' rod and a good reel I use a 10'-6' Tica Dolphin Surf series with a Penn 560 Slammer and 30# Power Pro braid line.  You can throw the AVA47's a mile with that outfit and have a good time, plus clip on a 3oz popper and still be able to get it out to where the big cows live.  Sorry that is a misnomer you can find any fish right at your feet as well.  So a good tip would ne don't give up fishing till youur lure hits the beach.  I have caught plenty of great fish right in the suds.

As far as good beaches the Hook is one of the best and if you are looking for jetties Deal and Elberon cant be beat up there.  If you are new to jetty fishing get yourself a good set of Korkers and practice during the day.  Jetties can be very treacherous. 

With that being said now would be the time to practice your lures as the artificial lure season is just starting.  I have to warn you it is very adicting and there are tons of plugs to choose from.  I will cover choices later if you are still interested.

My old faithful is the blue and white Striper Swiper top water plug.  I have had one of these in my surf bak for more years than I would like to talk about.  They work on striped bass and blues as well.

Pick up several sizes of the AVA's as they are dynamite in the surf.  They cast a mile and when using teasers the combo is fantastic.

The AVA's are easy to use just cast them out and try to fine the combination of rise and fall of the rod tip and the retrieve rate. Once this is achieved and you have a fish on the beach your good to go again.

Be sure to change sizes if one is not working then maybe a smaller one will work.  They work great if there are Rain fish (bait) around. 

I hope I did not give you too much and put you in over load.  But there is a lot to factor into using lures.

My best advise would be to MATCH THE HATCH, Ask at a local B&T what bait is running and use the artificial that comes closest to it.

Happy Catching

Paul
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 12:39:14 AM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline seameister

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 08:04:43 AM »
Hi seameister,

I guess thats my cue, Sit back and get ready to learn son.  Only kidding, I always wanted to say that.

All kidding aside.  You are in a very good spot to try your luck for stripers.  But you will have to do your homework and put your time in.  It won't be cheap to get started so go slow and work your way into it.
y
First before I get into what to use what kind of rod and reel do you use for the surf.  This is important because in order to throw metal and plugs you might have to have a couple of outfits

For heavy plugs in the area of 3 and over oz a good 10 to 11' rod rated for over 6 oz would work great.  If you have ever heard the expression of 8 & bait they are talking about an 8 0z sinker plus the bait usually a good size bunker head with at least a 10/0 circle hook.  Inorder to throw that kikng of load you need some serious equipment.

For what you are looking for a good 10 to 11' rod and a good reel I use a 10'-6' Tica Dolphin Surf series with a Penn 560 Slammer and 30# Power Pro braid line.  You can throw the AVA47's a mile with that outfit and have a good time, plus clip on a 3oz popper and still be able to get it out to where the big cows live.  Sorry that is a misnomer you can find any fish right at your feet as well.  So a good tip would ne don't give up fishing till youur lure hits the beach.  I have caught plenty of great fish right in the suds.

As far as good beaches the Hook is one of the best and if you are looking for jetties Deal and Elberon cant be beat up there.  If you are new to jetty fishing get yourself a good set of Korkers and practice during the day.  Jetties can be very treacherous. 

With that being said now would be the time to practice your lures as the artificial lure season is just starting.  I have to warn you it is very adicting and there are tons of plugs to choose from.  I will cover choices later if you are still interested.

My old faithful is the blue and white Striper Swiper top water plug.  I have had one of these in my surf bak for more years than I would like to talk about.  They work on striped bass and blues as well.

Pick up several sizes of the AVA's as they are dynamite in the surf.  They cast a mile and when using teasers the combo is fantastic.

The AVA's are easy to use just cast them out and try to fine the combination of rise and fall of the rod tip and the retrieve rate. Once this is achieved and you have a fish on the beach your good to go again.

Be sure to change sizes if one is not working then maybe a smaller one will work.  They work great if there are Rain fish (bait) around. 

I hope I did not give you too much and put you in over load.  But there is a lot to factor into using lures.

My best advise would be to MATCH THE HATCH, Ask at a local B&T what bait is running and use the artificial that comes closest to it.

Happy Catching

Paul

Thank you Paul!
I've got some questions,
How do you tie a teaser to the main line so it wont spin around (using braid)?
I have a 9' ST.Croix Triumph rod and a Penn 550ssg with #40LB braid on it. Do i need a 10' - 11' on the jetties?
So what is the best plug to use summer? Swimmers?(metal lipped, top water poppers....)?
Thank you !
Seameister     :P

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 10:59:37 AM »
Tying teasers is very simple,  but you have to use a leader to do this.

My leaders are usually around 36" long with a snap swivel at one end and a regular swivel at the other.  Approx. 18 to 24 inches above the plug or whatever you have attached to the business end of the leader tie a dropper loop  and attach your teaser to that so it hangs down about 6 to 8".  I have had no problem with line twist with this set up.  If you do not like the snap swivel just tie the lure directly to the leader.  I like to use fluorocarbon leader material in the 40# range.

As far as your choice in rod & reel for off the jetties that would work just fine.  is the Triumph the 9' surf version?  If so your good to go.

As far as plugs to use I love using pencil poppers and surface poppers a lot.  But they all will work if you try to match the hatch at that particular time.  Try to mimic the bait that is in the water at the time you are there.  That is why active surf fishermen have so many lures in their bag of tricks.

A good rule of thumb as far as color would be on clear sunny days use light to white color lures on overcast days switch to mid range Yellow would be a good choice here. For heavy overcast or at night dark colors work best in the black to dark blues to purple will work great.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline seameister

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 12:55:06 PM »
I wanna make a gaff out of Bamboo, do u guys know where i could find one about 8'?
I know its hard to find.
Thanx.
And Special thanx to Paul for your help!
Seameister t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 12:17:29 AM »
Hey Seameister no problem, that is what this site is all about.

If you are having trouble locating bamboo that long try asking a store that sells rugs as I think they use them as centers so the carped does not kink or something.

We have a rug expert on her Rugman maybe he can put you on to one...

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Greg7

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 01:47:20 AM »
Great advice Paul! TT^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2008, 07:47:54 AM »
Almost time to get jiggy with it...........

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2008, 12:12:24 AM »
I can't wait!!!!!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »
I am so ready for the beach attack this year.  I hope it happens.  Just keep your eyes open for the mullet run to really start the fall run.  I hear they are gathering already.  Bring it on...

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Greg7

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »
 t^ Maybe I will finally catch something!

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »
OK, this may have been covered in this thread and I just didnt understand, so I'll ask for simpler terms.

The poles we have on the boat are setup for fluke. Period. I am unsure of what they are, etc. as I didn't set them up. Will they be OK for stripers or do I need to retool?

If so, what do I need for a basic, get my feet wet, say of striper fishing. Never done this but need to find something to amuse me as the fluke season ends.

Also I'm reading that we need structure for stripers just like fluke. So will my fluke spots work for stripers as well?

All jigs and no live bait for these guys? No problem, I'll just use this thread as a shopping list.

I understand the technique slightly, so all I'm confused on is gear and spot.

Thanks guys.
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2008, 10:48:08 PM »
I don't know what type of gear you have already for fluke?  From a boat you will either be casting or trolling.  So you will need rods and reels able to do one or both of those tasks.  I feel that 20# test in mono or braid is plenty...I have even gone lighter sometimes in the surf.  Basically, fall stripers are a little easier to fish for.  They will go for the wide variety of lures, but bait will certainly work as well.  Finding bait fish is certainly a great way to find the fish as well.

Good Luck!

TT^

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2008, 11:50:13 PM »
You can also anchor up and lightly chum clams or bunker and use a 7/0 circle hook with a fish finder rig and sinker.  Finding the bait fish and snagging and live lining bunker seems to be a sure way of catching some nice fish.

" from what I read" 

I plan on changing that in the coming months t^

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »
OK, this may have been covered in this thread and I just didnt understand, so I'll ask for simpler terms.

The poles we have on the boat are setup for fluke. Period. I am unsure of what they are, etc. as I didn't set them up. Will they be OK for stripers or do I need to retool?

If so, what do I need for a basic, get my feet wet, say of striper fishing. Never done this but need to find something to amuse me as the fluke season ends.

Also I'm reading that we need structure for stripers just like fluke. So will my fluke spots work for stripers as well?

All jigs and no live bait for these guys? No problem, I'll just use this thread as a shopping list.

I understand the technique slightly, so all I'm confused on is gear and spot.

Thanks guys.

If you can take a look at the rod labels (on the backside of the rod, above the grip) and the reel make and series and let us know, someone will surely be able to give you some tips on whether you should change gear
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-