Author Topic: Fall stripers  (Read 101388 times)

Offline DarthBaiter

Re: Fall stripers
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »
OK, this may have been covered in this thread and I just didnt understand, so I'll ask for simpler terms.

The poles we have on the boat are setup for fluke. Period. I am unsure of what they are, etc. as I didn't set them up. Will they be OK for stripers or do I need to retool?

If so, what do I need for a basic, get my feet wet, say of striper fishing. Never done this but need to find something to amuse me as the fluke season ends.

Also I'm reading that we need structure for stripers just like fluke. So will my fluke spots work for stripers as well?

All jigs and no live bait for these guys? No problem, I'll just use this thread as a shopping list.

I understand the technique slightly, so all I'm confused on is gear and spot.

Thanks guys.

How many ounces werre you able to fish with those rods? if you fished deep and heavy with no problem, they would do ok for stripers also.

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
How many ounces werre you able to fish with those rods? if you fished deep and heavy with no problem, they would do ok for stripers also.

Help me out. Novice here.  We usually fish with a 2-3 ounce sinker inshore (4-8ft) and I went up to a 5 ounce in the ocean last wknd (25-30ft). That felt a little heavy on one of out lighter poles.

Also what is the difference between regular line and braid? I fear that is a stupid question, but I have asked it. I'm looking at some striper (i hope) rods on ebay. As per advice, Shimano Baitrunner 3500 on an Ugly Stick Bigwater 7' one piece spooled with 30lb PowerPro braid. Sound good?
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2008, 11:16:28 PM »
Weights are all dependent on where you want the bait.  If you are fishing topwater, you would go very light, just enough to keep it from floating on the surface.  For all other fishing, you will need to experiment.  Current and tide all affect how much weight you will need.  Some days you will need more to hold bottom and other days less.  If you are trying to fish in the middle of the water column while trolling you may need a completely different amount of weight.  I do not have a boat, nor do I fish from a boat, so the guys who do will be able to give you more information on actual size weights they use.

You also need to choose weights based on what your rod is rated for.  Or vice versa, choose a rod that is rated for the weight you will be using.  You said that 5oz felt a little heavy on the rod...maybe b/c the rod wasn't rated for 5oz of weight.  Keep this in mind when shopping for gear and tackle.  I see many, many people throwing weight that their rods can't handle.  This is especially true with lures.  Just b/c it is heavier, doesn't mean it will cast farther.  If it is too heavy for the rod, it will probably cast less farther.  Usually lures come in multiple sizes and weights...sometimes same size just different weight.  By going with what your rod is  rated for, even if it means going an inch or two smaller on the lure, you will get better casts and better action out of the rod, reel and lure!

Braid is a line made of many different braided fibers.  It is extremely strong and very sensitive will little to no stretch.  It will give you smoother and farther casts, most of the time and I think it is easier to tie knots with.  The knots may not hold as well, which is why you need to use a few specific knots(uni, palomar) It is completely different from monofilament line.  However, it is not as abrasive resistant and you need to be careful it doesn't cut your fingers.  I just started using it on a lighter tackle setup I use in the Inlet, Canal and Bays.  I love it and will be switching all of my reels over to it as they need to be respooled.

Good Luck!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2008, 11:41:17 PM »
 whs

Very good advise.  If you follow it you should not have any problems.  All I have to add is to experiment, experiment, experiment.

But don't hold back with the questions.  Soon you will be jumping in and giving advise as well.

Happu Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2008, 10:54:02 PM »
whs

Very good advise.  If you follow it you should not have any problems.  All I have to add is to experiment, experiment, experiment.

But don't hold back with the questions.  Soon you will be jumping in and giving advise as well.

Happu Catching

Paul

You asked for it.  slt

The heavier of the 3 rods in the boat is a 6' rated for 5-17lbs. I'm thinking thats too light. Plus I have no idea what it is spooled with. I'm thinking we need an entirely different setup for stripers.
Bill

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2008, 11:04:30 PM »
If you can get your thoughts to set into the realization that a 40 pound striper is not unheard of and there are plenty of 30 to 35 pound fish around this time of year, than yes your tackle would be light.

I would go to a good Bait and Tackle shop and tell them what you are looking to fish for and the budget you are willing to spend.  If they are a good shop they will work with you if they try to sell you their most expensive outfit run for the nearest door and go to another shop as there are plenty around.  Plus I would make sure the shop is open all year round as they will be there if you have trouble during the colder months.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2008, 11:28:19 PM »
I agree that it may be a little too light, however, I have read T-Man's Reports and he is doing a lot of light tackle trolling...and we see the fish he is putting in the boat.  It is certainly not something you couldn't fish with.  However, if you are specifically looking to get new setups, for the boat I would go with 7'0" or so, medium heavy power moderate to fast action rated for 10-20# line or 14-25#, anywhere in that area able to throw 1-8oz or so...maybe a little more if you use heavier lures/weights or maybe a little lighter if you use lighter lures/weights.  You want that rod to have a good backbone to be able to handle something bigger if it comes along.  Remember, you need to have a general idea of what pound test line you will be going with to choose a reel and then I would pair it up with a rod matching the same ratings.  This type of setup should be good for a wide variety of species, bass, weakies, blues, albies, etc...

Good Luck!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2008, 11:31:47 PM »
Boy your sounding good there P-man.  Way to go... TT^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2008, 11:33:59 PM »
Thanks Paul...talk is cheap though!  I need some fish on!!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2008, 11:39:01 PM »
I hear ya... :P
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »
I just bought on ebay, 2 7' Ugly sticks w/ Shimano 3500 Baitrunner reels with 30lb Powerpro braid. Both identical and less than a year old. $160 for both. Can't beat that (I don't think  ???)

Thanks for the help guys. Now our season can continue.
Bill

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »
Yes!!.  great price and a great Striper set up  t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2008, 08:43:24 PM »
Great buy...reels could cost you that much alone!  Those should work great for you...

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »
 TT^ Nice pick up...
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2008, 05:47:10 PM »
Now that I have my setups down, on to the method. I'm slowly understanding the striper season and what to look for. I will be going to the tackle shop to pick up a few of the jigs mentioned.

Now as far as casting from a boat, how does that work? How far should I cast, how quickly should I bounce it? How quickly should I retireve? Does it al vary? Just try new things? I guess I'm asking for a baseline. What's your first cast as you come into a spot that looks promising?
Bill

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2008, 06:33:13 PM »

Now as far as casting from a boat, how does that work? How far should I cast, how quickly should I bounce it? How quickly should I retireve? Does it al vary? Just try new things? I guess I'm asking for a baseline. What's your first cast as you come into a spot that looks promising?
Yes t^

I'm not the Striper expert bye no means.  If you have 3-4 people fishing.  every one doing something different.  1 casting.  1 jigging..  etc t^  Been there..  DOne that.  but I was a casting. and should have been Jigging with Capt Joe t^
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:35:23 PM by Hotrod »

Offline SharkHart

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2008, 08:56:36 PM »
The question is are you talking about lure or bait fishing?

IF lures the easiest and maybe most productive method is jigging AVA jigs  with  ;)a teaser  ;)

AVA 47 or 27 on a calm day.  Bouncing that lure with the very hard under current will rule out alot of rods that might be too light, also pulling a fish off the bottom in that current will make a fish feel/fight much harder.   Where?  follow the birds.

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2008, 06:52:26 PM »
So cast with bait and just drop it in and bounce with jigs?

Someone please hold my hand, haha.
Bill

Offline SharkHart

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »
Drop,   Id only cast if you see fish crashing the surface.

Casting out with a jig will either go under the boat as u drift or will sweep outward if you cast the other way which will most likely pull you off the bottom too much.

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »
Ok, got the tackle and technique setup now.

Next question. Are we wasting our time trying to fish for stripers during the day/early morning? I've been reading thast night fishing is the best, but I don't think we're ready for that. Any thoughts?
Bill

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-