Author Topic: Fall stripers  (Read 101025 times)

Offline bossross

Fall stripers
« on: September 11, 2007, 12:52:54 PM »
Folks,
First off, I want to thank you all for sharing your stories and advice all summer, my 8yr old and I are new to fishing and I picked up a lot of terrific information on this site all summer and it made for some terrific fluke fishing. My little guy is definately hooked (I'm not doing bad either!). Seeing him snag bunker is worth the price of admission even if we never caught anything else. He loves it.

I am really wanting to get into the stripers. Any advice on when they start, what are the best bait(s) and techniques would be really appreciated.

Thx
Ross

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: Fall stripers
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 02:13:16 PM »
Hi BossRoss,

Welcome to the site and I am glad that you have been able to catch well this year! Great that your son is involved with the sport. Please stay tuned to more "kid-centric" activities in the future.

OK ... another great question.

As you know the three main stocks of Stripers migrate in a clockwise fashion (more north to south in the Fall). They are driven by bait and water temperature. The past few years have had decent Fall/Winter Striper fishing, mainly from boats. The fish have been travelling to their "over-wintering" grounds more offshore (especially past the three mile zone that makes it illegal to target them).

What we need is a slow, orderly cooling of the water. We also have to hope for a nice run of baitfish such as mullet, bunker (peanuts and large) and hopefully sand eels. I think that west winds hurt this fishery, but that is merely my opinion.

I would (and I will try to keep everyone alert) pay attention to what is happening in Montauk. That is a good gauge if the fish are moving south. The area that I expect to turn on first around here is the Raritan Bay (and to its east). I would also expect the Cape May area to be into fish as well.

So, what do we need to consider:

1. Are the fish on the move?
2. Please remember that there are resident in the area to target. It also appears that the resident population is increasing.
3. Hope for a prolonged cooling trend.
4. Hope that the fish stay within the three mile limit.
5. If you have a boat, you may have to keep the boat in the water for a while. Some of the best fishing last year occurred in December.
6. Think about using eels near jetties.
7. Think about clams off the surf just before and after a NE blow.
8. I tend to try to jig a lot of these fish with Ava 47s and Deadly Dicks.
9. Pray the Blues give us a chance ... they can surely dominate a feeding ground.

Right now it is too early to guess what may happen. To me, everything seems to be running a few weeks late this year. If I head to bet, probabilities tell me that we will have a late Fall run with small to medium size fish that can be taken primarily on jigs but do not rule out worms/eels/clams in certain areas.

We will keep you up-to-date.

Right now, there are chances for large Bluefish, False Albacore, Bonito, croakers, Sea Bass and Porgies. Hopefully the weakfish will show (as they usually do) in mid to late September.

I am sure sharpies are into some of the resident Stripers (especially at night) on the Shrewsbury Rocks.

Thanks for the post,

Capt. Ed

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »
nice to have you hear...  The fall run didn't start yet...  Live bunker, eeling at early morning and evenings, and trolling stretch's and bunker spoons are the fall meathods.  NOW, the where abouts have yet to be determined since the run didn't start yet, but as the season progresses, you will get many updates and reports that will help you with any other questions.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:43:32 PM »
I haven't been out in a while-my fishing time has not been used wisely-I've been helping a buddy on his job after work. I've been hearing some jumping in the channels behind one of our houses in Avalon. I always thought this was striper activity. I will be done helping my friend soon and hope to get my lines wet this week or next. Keep an eye on The Avalon Fishing Report for my conquests
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 11:54:24 PM »
Hi bossross,

I am glad that you have taken the initiative to post and ask questions. 

The fall run has always been the event of the year at least for me.  I do a lot of surf fishing and have enjoyed many years of unexpectedly good fishing during this time of year.  Yes it gets cold out there but when the fish are here the adrenalin is running and the cold is an after thought.

Besides a good Thermos of hot chocolate helps as well.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 09:52:36 AM »
Boss Ross

Capt Ed pretty much nailed it down for you....I would also add a 5-7 oz crippled herring in chrme or chrome/blue....deadly

I to love Fall fishing the best, good luck

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 11:53:57 AM »
I look foward to fall jigging every year.

I don't leave the house for any jig trip without having a supply of the following jigs;

1-Tubeless AVA 047s, 067s and a few 087s (these are great to have when you're fishing deep or if the current/drift is very fast).

2-5 and 7 ounce Krocodile spoons in chrome, white (some call this pattern Barbie) and prism.

3-5 ounce Crippled Herring in white and blueback.

I also carry small size AVA jigs (especially early in the fall when bonito and false albacore are still around), Jacky Jigs, Yo-Zuri jigs, Barefoot Jigs and Braid Jigs.

I'll also bring a M or MH spinning rod to throw topwater plugs (if the fish are on top), Storm Wild Eyes and leadheads with a shad body (these were very effective in white last season).

Just a note on how I like to rig up for jigging. I'll take the end section of my main line and using a spider hitch create a double line. Next using a No-Name (AKA Bristol) knot connect a 4' piece of #20 (for jigs under 5 ounces or #25 (for jigs over 5 ounces). I'll use either regular mono or flurocarbon-whatever I have handy at the time. If I'm using an AVA or Crippled Herring I'll use an improved clinch knot to connect the lure to the leader-otherwise I use a Homer-Rhodes Loop knot (this gives the lure-especially a Krocodile spoon more action). I rarely if ever have a break off and with all but the biggest bass or bluefish I'm able to swing aboard.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 11:55:34 AM by Skolmann »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 12:14:49 PM »
I look foward to fall jigging every year.

I don't leave the house for any jig trip without having a supply of the following jigs;

1-Tubeless AVA 047s, 067s and a few 087s (these are great to have when you're fishing deep or if the current/drift is very fast).

2-5 and 7 ounce Krocodile spoons in chrome, white (some call this pattern Barbie) and prism.

3-5 ounce Crippled Herring in white and blueback.

I also carry small size AVA jigs (especially early in the fall when bonito and false albacore are still around), Jacky Jigs, Yo-Zuri jigs, Barefoot Jigs and Braid Jigs.

I'll also bring a M or MH spinning rod to throw topwater plugs (if the fish are on top), Storm Wild Eyes and leadheads with a shad body (these were very effective in white last season).

Just a note on how I like to rig up for jigging. I'll take the end section of my main line and using a spider hitch create a double line. Next using a No-Name (AKA Bristol) knot connect a 4' piece of #20 (for jigs under 5 ounces or #25 (for jigs over 5 ounces). I'll use either regular mono or flurocarbon-whatever I have handy at the time. If I'm using an AVA or Crippled Herring I'll use an improved clinch knot to connect the lure to the leader-otherwise I use a Homer-Rhodes Loop knot (this gives the lure-especially a Krocodile spoon more action). I rarely if ever have a break off and with all but the biggest bass or bluefish I'm able to swing aboard.

when your jigging, what is your method..  Cast and real, cast drop to bottom and occasionally lift, cast and slow retrieve, etc...

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 01:00:23 PM »
I'll cast (flip) out and allow the jig to hit the bottom. I'll make anywhere from 3-6 bumps off the bottom with a slow lift before starting my retrieve back in. I'll vary the speed of the retrieve until I see what the fish response to. Sometimes I'll stop my retrieve mid way and let the jig fall back a few feet.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
much different then fishing for bluefish..   I usually jig for bluefish, weakfish, and fluke, never did it for stripers and I know that the technique varies alot depending on the fish.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 03:02:37 PM »
When jigging for bass you want a slower/softer action to your jig than when bluefishing.

With bluefish jigging you want to cast out and 'burn' it back to you. With bass you cast it out and bounce the jig off the bottom similar to bouncing a bucktail for fluke.

After several bounces and no hits you begin a slow to moderate retrieve back. There are some days when all your hits will be when the jig is bouncing of the bottom and other days when all your strikes occur during the retrieve.

It is very important that when jigging you fall the jig down with your rod tip as the vast majority of your hits will come as the jig is falling back.

Just as a side note, when using a Krocodile spoon I found that most of my action comes on a slow retrieve as the big spoon wobbles back and forth seductively. I've had bass follow the lure all the way to the surface and strike just before I pull it out of the water. I've also had bass follow it to the surface and not strike but then I'll put my reel in free spool and as the lure quickly falls the bass light up and attack it. Pretty cool to witness.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 03:48:35 PM by Skolmann »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »
When jigging for bass you want a slower/softer action to your jig than when bluefishing.

With bluefish jigging you want to cast out and 'burn' it back to you. With bass you cast it out and bounce the jig off the bottom similar to bouncing a bucktail for fluke.

After several bounces and no hits you begin a slow to moderate retrieve back. There are some days when all your hits will be when the jig is bouncing of the bottom and other days when all your strikes occur during the retrieve.

It is very important that when jigging you fall the jig down with your rod tip as the vast majority of your hits will come as the jig is falling back.

Just as a side note, when using a Krocodile spoon I found that most of my action comes on a slow retrieve as the big spoon wobbles back and forth seductively. I've had bass follow the lure all the way to the surface and strike just before I pull it out of the water. I've also had bass folow it to the surface and not strike but then I'll put my reel in free spool and as the lure quickly falls the bass light up and attack it. Pretty cool to witness.
great tip, thanks for posting.  This season I will try the jig along with live lining..  The diamond jigs, use with no tube, is that correct.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 03:47:53 PM »
Some guys like having tubing on their Diamond/AVA jigs-usually a dark red or wine color. I've always prefered no tubing. In fact I don't think I own any AVAs with tubing on them.

Offline fnsmag

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 09:33:59 AM »

Where do you get white Krocs from?

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 10:25:22 AM »
Some guys like having tubing on their Diamond/AVA jigs-usually a dark red or wine color. I've always prefered no tubing. In fact I don't think I own any AVAs with tubing on them.
when bluefishing, I always use the tubing...  it adds a nice touch...  stripers, I will probably use your advice and not use it.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 03:16:23 PM »

Where do you get white Krocs from?

Cheapest place I found is the Cabela's website. Although I'm sure any good tackle shop will have some.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 03:18:50 PM »
when bluefishing, I always use the tubing...  it adds a nice touch...  stripers, I will probably use your advice and not use it.

Yes, when simply targeting bluefish-jigs with tubes work.

With that being said, I'm thinking of doing a bluefish jig trip this coming Sunday and I'll be using tubeless AVAs.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
Best that i have fund and have my guys do it hit the bottom, bounce 4-6 times take 3-4 cranks and bounce 4-5 times working the water column all the way up.....works like a charm TT^

Offline bossross

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 05:18:26 PM »
Great information guys, thanks! One question though, what are the best conditions to look for (for both blue fish and stripers), water depth, structure, time of day, etc...

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 05:46:39 PM »
what are the best conditions to look for (for both blue fish and stripers), water depth, structure, time of day, etc...

One of the best indicators is diving, working birds. Swirls, fish busting on the surface another good thing to see. If the fish are deep, keep an eye on your depth finding until it lights up like a x-mas tree (although you don't necessarily need that-even a few marks along the bottom can yield good fishing) and just working around schools of bait.

I like getting out at first light. a NW wind is also a good thing to have

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-