Author Topic: Need pointers  (Read 4004 times)

Offline john

Need pointers
« on: August 30, 2007, 10:54:13 PM »
First let me say I really enjoy reading this forum t^ Thanks for all the great advice

Here is my situation.  I will be in Seaside for a week in September on a family vacation. And I would like to try some surf fishing at IBSP.  Most of my fishing experience is in freshwater.  So I would appreciate any pointers you guys could give me.

For Example:
-What kind of set ups do I need?  I have a surf pole.
-Bait?
-Other necessities?

I have a 4x4 but have never driven on sand.  What should I know?

I will probably have more questions as I think of them.

Thank you
John

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Need pointers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:10:10 PM »
Hi John.  Welcome aboard.

Thank you for the kind words..  The guys and Gals here love to share and know it's read by many.  So you came to the right place.  Thanks for taking the time to say hello.

Rod.

Ruger314

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:37:19 PM »
John,

first thing Welcome..

second as soon as Paul as resident surf angler IBSP..

He will help you a great deal with any question..

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 12:21:17 AM »
Hi John,

First Welcome Aboard.

Second, let me give you what you will need for your trip onto the sand at IBSP.  BTW the fee for a 3 day pass is $50.00.

MANDATORY EQUIPMENT FOR A MOBILE SPORTFISHING VEHICLE (MSFV)

Permits are issued to 4-wheel drive vehicle owners for fishing purposes only. Carrying the basic equipment listed is required whenever the MSFV in on the beach.
1) Fishing equipment and bait and tackle for each person over 12 years of age;
2) Tire gauge;
3) Spare tire;
4) Workable jack and board/support for jack in sand (3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in. plywood square minimum size)
5) Tow chain or snatch line;
6) Shovel;
7) Flashlight;
8: Fire extinguisher;
9) Auto first aid kit;
10) Litter/trash bag;
11) Minimum of 1/4 tank of fuel.

A word of advice make sure if you are going to go on the beach LOWER YOUR TIRE PRESSURE.  My tire pressure normally is 35# I lower mine to 15# and have never been stuck.

The park has air stations where you can pull up to to fill your tires back up.  There is a series of air stations just north of A7 and one at the maintenance office parking lot.

If you get a map of the park you will notice that there are a number pf small parking areas all along the road.  You can park in any one of these and walk onto the beach.  I have to warn you though some are a long walk and when carrying equipment it is not a good thing.  A7 has a walkway to the beach as well as a beach buggy access road.

There are 3 areas to gain entrance to the beach by beach buggy's, Gillikins, A7 and A21 (end of the road).  If you ride all the way to the end and enter the beach from there head south to the inlet the fishing is always pretty good down there.  You will be at the North Jetty, and where the jetty and beach meet that is the infamous pocket you hear people talk about.

Right now there is a lot of different type of species running.  You have picked the best time to try your hand at surf fishing.  I would suggest clams and squid for bait and as far as artificial lures are concerned red and white poppers or any silver spoon type of lure or the diamond type of jig will work.  You don't have to cast a mile either.  There are a lot of fish right in the wash.  So if you cast out far and don't get a strike don't take the lure out of the water till it is right next to you.  Like I said there are fish right at your feet literally.

The two best B & T's in Seaside are Betty & Nick's and Grumpy's.  If you have any questions about what is running that day or what bait to use that day they would know best.

I think I covered most of everything if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask if I don't have the answer I can get it for you or someone on the board will help.

BTW don't forget to try the two piers in town as well, there is the north piers and the south pier.  Both have bait and tackle as well.

I hope I did not over load you with to much but there will be a test on your next post.  LOL

Again Welcome Aboard.

Happy Catching

Paul

« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 10:18:56 AM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 08:25:31 PM »
 whs they all said  ;D
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline john

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:36:40 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

And Paul, thank you for the detailed reply.
That is Awesome.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 09:42:01 PM »
Paul's a good man.  TT^  he got that sharing blood in um. like most of us ;D

next is bait and what to go for..

Offline Extendereng

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 09:49:38 PM »
John if you don't mind I would like to piggy back on this.

I got a 7ft med/heav rod/ ABU Garcia 5500CL with 30lb power pro on it. Is it good enough in the surf at ISBP?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 11:54:46 PM »
Hi Extendereng,

Welcome Aboard as well and thanks for sharing that info.

I also use a7 - 71/2' rod especially for plugging and walking.  It is loaded with 30# Power Pro, infact all my surf reels have braid loaded on them.  I was a skeptic until I tried it and now I can't say enough about its attributes.

For my other rods I run up to 10'.  I am not one for extremely long casts especially when I catch most of my fish in close, like they are right now.

I guess this comes from the fact I like to fly fish from the surf as well.  Unfortunately this year I am lacking the time to go as often as I like and my cache of flies has dwindled to only a few left.  I will be tying more over the winter though.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline john

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 03:49:29 PM »

next is bait and what to go for..

I am looking forward to this segment.  t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 11:56:20 PM »
Hi All,

Right now in the what to go for is wide open except for fluke.  The mullet in the bays and rivers are staging to exit.  and the water temp. is starting to drop slowly which is a good sign.  Once we hit the new moon phase be ready because the blitz could  be on at any time.

If you can get any lures that resemble mullet or mullet colors it is always good.  Plugs will work just fine I like to use surface plugs and pound the surf looking for signs if bait and birds working.

Be ready for blues, striper's, false albacore, croakers, weakfish you name it and it will probably be there at one time or other.

For blues, any live bait especially mullet or spearing will work plus any metal jug like the diamond jig or Ava-27 to 47's with or without the tube on it.  I like the tubes in green, red or chareatruse on a Ava-47. If you are going to target the blues make sure you use a short metal leader and for bait use a 6/0 to 8/0 circle hook (my preference).

For striper's, I love surface lures like the pencil poppers, swimmers, Gibbd poppers, Atom striper swiper (in blue and white are my all time favorite), or any diving lure in the 6" to 8" range.  Plus don't forget one of the striper's favorite foods clams.  Can't go wrong there.  Don't forget to try eels as well, right now I hear there are plenty just north of the north jetty on IBSP.

For False Albies, any swimming type of lure that you can buzz through the water.  But I warn you hold on when these babies are around they are quick and powerful and a lot of fun to catch.

For Crokers just about any thing that lays on the bottom will work, like clams, shrimp, sand worms and the new Gulp baits (sorry Capt. Ed)will work just fine.

For weakfish, try spearing, shrimp, sand worms, pink Fin-S work really well and grass shrimp.  If you have any freshwater crank baits pull them out and give them a try I hear its a blast and works well.

I hope this helps

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 09:48:30 AM »
I think you should sticky Pauls post so we can all find it later in the year.  It nice to know the rule of what you need to drive your truck on the beach instead of going down there and not have everything you need.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 03:44:16 PM »
Hi John,

There are tons of bluefish near the beach (with albies mixed in) from at least Normandy Beach down to the pocket in IBSP. Throwing lures into the Barnegat Inlet off the rocks is producing as well.

There is an awesome amount of bait in the ocean and still in the bay. This could be real good if the weather helps us out.

Good luck,

Capt. Ed

Offline john

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 10:14:11 AM »
Thanks again for your advice.
I'm on my way!

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 10:39:02 AM »
Good Luck!!.  Make sure you bring the Camera t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-