Author Topic: Sharing the Fuel Cost - What Is the General Rule  (Read 17642 times)

Offline Irish Cap 25

Sharing the Fuel Cost - What Is the General Rule
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:40:40 AM »
I have always been the owner, host and captain and usually top off my tanks when I return to the dock odafter a day of fishing.  Rarely do I get an offer from the others to share some of the cost of the trip.  Am I too generous, or do I need to get new friends?  What is the general protocol regarding "passing the hat"? 5hrug

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
Re: Sharing the Fuel Cost - What Is the General Rule
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:57:25 AM »
Let them know upfront what is expected - sharing fuel, bait, etc. This way there is no confusion.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »
 whs.  and new friends  ;D

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »
 wts
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:34:12 AM »
If I got some $$$ to blow, I throw in.  If not, I let people know that before I even leave the house.  Usually my friends bought bait and snacks since I would tow the boat.  3 of us split the purchase of the boat. 

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:46:15 PM »
Common Sense in my case I always reach in my wallet when I go on someone's boat. Fish with my nephew mostly and always give him money for gas, usually bring the lunch, and if time allows and they are open when I leave my house fresh donuts from Carousel Bakery in Hazlet.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
my friends always bring food drink ice bait and /or cash for gas

mee too  clp  slt

boats don't run on thankyous  smk

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »
when i had my 19ftr it was no problem, you bring lunch i got the rest.... but... since moving up in size and 4.00+ per gallon....everyone kicks in  fngr
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline Reefsquatter

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »
Common sense, when you are invited over a persons house for dinner or drinks, do you show up empty handed?

If you are asked to pick up a bottle of wine is it Boones Farm or something a little nicer?

Same thing. If someone invites you out their first words should be "what can I bring."

At that point you can say just your share of the expenses which should be about xx.00 dollars.

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »
Treating once in a while is certainly ok. Forgive me for saying it, but why aren't your friends just out right offering you the $$$? Gas, bait, tackle, cooler, on and on. Let alone the $$$ you have already put out for the insurance and registration, repairs and on and on. I am not good at asking nor taking but times are tough and if you go out a lot that all add's up. Be up front with your 'friends'; don't beat around the bush. Next time you go, just say, guys  can everyone throw in some $$$ towards today's trip please. If they act up or give you chit, I would think twice about bringing them again. People should just know everything cost $$$ and if for some reason they don't, then they need it explained to them so they understand. 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
^^^ What Trish said ^^^
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
If I invite someone along I don't expect anything. I go out 2 or 3 times a week if someone comes along I was going that way anyway.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
Everything discussed up front.. Passengers don't realize the cost of running the boat.. Before the season even gets started, it cost about $1k for repairs, bottom paint, etc.. If you are in a slip, that is also a factor in the cost.  Yes, even though there is fuel to split, keep in account, if you have a 2 stroke, there is also oil involved, at what?.. something like %40-$60 per gallon. 

In a perfect world, if you take a few guys on the boat, they should cover all expenses, bait and fuel, lunch, etc. But this is only if you have 3 or more guests.   The owner pays for all the unseen things, like maintenance, wear and tear, equipment, rods, etc..

On my ride, like uncle luna said, I will ball park it and say... $50.00 for the average trip,   If we are out all day, then your guest should throw in another $20.00.. it is still cheaper then any party boat or charter.

On the Luna Sea.. I supply the bait, ice, and terminal tackle.  Then $50-$70 per person depending on how much fishing and fuel is being used.  If you go any higher, then your guest might as well take a party boat. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
Everybody pretty much said it. If I am only running the 3 or so miles to the reef to drift or anchor I am ok with a donation and they cover their own food for anyone who wants to join me. If I am going out further and recruiting people I generally use the we split the fuel/bait rule.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »
I won't step on another person's boat without giving them money for gas.  Having said that, I rarely ever accept money for gas when I have people out on my boat.  Strange, I know.  But that's just me. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 08:13:06 PM »
Keep in mind, if you 'charge' for a trip, you are a charter and need a captain's license and whatever else goes with running a business.

BUT, your crew is allowed to 'voluntarily' chip in for fuel/bait, etc.

CHARGE and VOLUNTARILY chip in are key words to keep you out of trouble.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »
Gota pay to play....simple as that...

I always put in what ever is required...Just comon sense I think...

Offline DJ76

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
i have been on a few boats in the bay with friends, i offer up a minimum of fifty depending on what we did that day.  

I also own a small boat I tow to the ramp.  I never ask for anything and I do get offers but often refuse.  most times they pay for the ramp, coffee on way down and dinner on way home which is fine. I never ever charge the family member, which usually causes a scene at the bait shop in the morning or the IHOP on 36 at 5am rofla
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
Great topic.It's always been awkward for me to  discuss/ask for money from my friends while out on my boat fishing. I would expect them to know the cost of Charter or Party Boats and chip in  what they feel is appropriate.THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED.Because the cost of owning a boat, upkeep,dockage,repairs,insurance,fuel,trailers,
tackle (on and on)can NEVER be calculated.
I own the boat for me and my family.That alone is PRICELESS. All other financial gestures are welcomed. If they do the right thing they are invited again and maybe will be considered a regular. clp  
I would never fish on any other boat without contributing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:44:34 PM by PeggyLee »

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 10:00:05 PM »
I always kick in my share while aboard a friends boat. I thought that was an unwritten, common courtesy rule, known around the world....  until I owned a boat.  :headscra:  Always best to let the "new guy" know the deal at invitation time. I fish with a good group of friends and fuel, breakfast, bait, beverages, etc. is never an issue. There has been a cheap bastard or two along the way, but they only get to sail once, and are not invited back.   
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-