Author Topic: Sharing the Fuel Cost - What Is the General Rule  (Read 17641 times)

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
Re: Sharing the Fuel Cost - What Is the General Rule
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 10:00:58 PM »
I won't step on another person's boat without giving them money for gas.  Having said that, I rarely ever accept money for gas when I have people out on my boat.  Strange, I know.  But that's just me. 
I agree with you 1000% I do!I love to treat my friends and family! Go out catch fish and hope that I have showed them a terrific time! I think the fault may lie right there; no offer of any kind. I think he might feel better if his friends would do that; at least offer. I know I will always bring something when invited to join someone on their boat. I guess it's the way I was raised and taught. Treat others as you wish to be treated. Maybe that is how he is feeling; like us; he may not take the money, but would feel appreciated if it were offered. Either way, there has been great advice given in many different ways re: this subject which so many of us at one time or another have faced I'm sure; that is why I love this site and the people on it. Stick around, I bet you will start to love it too! Good Luck... Trish

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »
If I invite someone along I don't expect anything. I go out 2 or 3 times a week if someone comes along I was going that way anyway.
t^....That's pretty much the way I am unless I am bringing their whole family...... fngr..then its gonna cost ya. chrz...
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:05 PM »
Bottom line here everyone who enjoys fishing knows it's not a cheap hobby. If you go on a party boat it's going to be close to $100.00
Day. So for me sharing the cost is not a problem. Less crowded and you have a better chance of catching more fish.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 07:44:24 AM »
I always try to split all costs evenly among myself and whoever comes with me. Occasionally some guys have deep pockets and short arms. :P
But I enjoy they're company.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 07:54:58 PM »
Keep in mind, if you 'charge' for a trip, you are a charter and need a captain's license and whatever else goes with running a business.

BUT, your crew is allowed to 'voluntarily' chip in for fuel/bait, etc.

CHARGE and VOLUNTARILY chip in are key words to keep you out of trouble.  t^
Good point Joe.....
They can voluntarily chip in for the DAYS expense.....they cannot be asked for more money for dock fees,rods or other owner fees....then u are collecting as a business
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 09:07:15 PM »
Keep in mind, if you 'charge' for a trip, you are a charter and need a captain's license and whatever else goes with running a business.

BUT, your crew is allowed to 'voluntarily' chip in for fuel/bait, etc.

CHARGE and VOLUNTARILY chip in are key words to keep you out of trouble.  t^
Good point Joe.....
They can voluntarily chip in for the DAYS expense.....they cannot be asked for more money for dock fees,rods or other owner fees....then u are collecting as a business

Until a couple of years ago you could not even accept money for fuel or bait without being considered a charter by the CG. Fortunately, they have changed their position on that and now allow it.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Irish Cap 25

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »
Thanks for all the advise guys.   I run a pair of 150 2-strokes, so a day out can be pretty pricey.  I'll make sure that I drive the guys to my boat (about 60 miles from my home) and if they don't pay up at the dock at the end of the day, they're calling a car service to get home ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-