Author Topic: Eating NJ Fish - Health Hazard?  (Read 5275 times)

Offline HOokiN

• Master Kitchens & Baths
Eating NJ Fish - Health Hazard?
« on: April 18, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »
Hey guys,

Need some opinions/advice here. I don't really know if its safe to eat anything that I catch anymore. Everything seems so polluted.  I know bass are migratory fish but are they healthy to eat? I know they have mercury levels in them but im more concerned about other toxins. Fluke / Sea Bass? What about clams/muscles or crabs? Bottom dwellers have to be worse.
Big part of the reason why I am out there is to fill the freezer. If I should't eat the fish because it could be a potential hazard to my health, that would really suck!
Hope anyone who got banged by Sandy is over the hump! Hopefully putting in the boat in the next few weeks. ( have 2 electric lifts to fix because they were shorted out from the storm )  5hrug

tight lines!

Thank you!

James

Grady White 20' Over-Nighter -
H o O K i N ! /  2012 Chevy Silverado Duramax -

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Re: Eating NJ Fish - Health Hazard?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:09:25 PM »
I think if you use common sense and follow the consumption guidelines published by the state you should be OK.

Clicky Here

Offline HOokiN

• Master Kitchens & Baths
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »
Thank you!
Grady White 20' Over-Nighter -
H o O K i N ! /  2012 Chevy Silverado Duramax -

Offline FishOn

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »
If you drink, smoke, eat foreign fruit, or drive in NJ rush hour traffic I wouldn't be terribly concerned about anything the fish pick up. I wouldn't go eating clams or crabs from the North jersey/ny waterways buts that's because I think they would taste like toxins.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:45:32 PM by FishOn »
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline KyleFishes

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 06:41:41 AM »
I think the state fishing handbook gives consumption guidelines...

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:36:29 AM »
Quick Story:

A lawyer friend of mine loves to fish and caught a bunch of Stripers. He liked the taste so much that he was eating it everyday.  Lunch, dinner .
  After a regular visit to the doctor he was told his Mercury levels were highly elevated by eating too much Striped bass. The doctor had to put him on medication to lower the mercury levels and it took over 6 months. Now he eats it in moderation and everything's  back to normal. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »
 Like the beef, chicken, and pork you get from the markets aren't filled with antibiotics, steriods, bacteria, madcow virus...............  5hrug
Eating a few fish in moderation isn't such a bad this.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-