Author Topic: 5/12 Surf Fishing  (Read 3553 times)

Offline SHARKBITE

• Shark Bite Bucktails
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Shark Bite Bucktails
5/12 Surf Fishing
« on: May 12, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »
Hit the beach bright and early this AM while the ladies all slept in before the official start of Mother's Day. Rode out 30 mins. of rain and it started to break up. soaked a few clams and watched as a couple guys landed some short stripers. Got my shot at 8AM when this 20incher latched on. Released for another day. Lots of action going on today, mostly shorts but a couple keepers I saw .....On a side not, landed this 39footer to upgrade our camper as well....I'll be doing a lot more surf fishing...

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
Re: 5/12 Surf Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »
Better than sleeping in.  t^ Question though. What kind of rig is that? Are you using a steel leader and a mono leader?

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 03:50:09 PM »
 t^

Offline SHARKBITE

• Shark Bite Bucktails
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Shark Bite Bucktails
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
Better than sleeping in.  t^ Question though. What kind of rig is that? Are you using a steel leader and a mono leader?

It is a metal leader(In the event the blues come around.) The mono is from the hook that I attach up higher through the swivel eye. Probably not the best set up but I can feel the hits better and less worries about being bitten off which seems to happen a lot....I'm still a novice at this form of angling.                                                                                                       

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »

It is a metal leader(In the event the blues come around.) The mono is from the hook that I attach up higher through the swivel eye. Probably not the best set up but I can feel the hits better and less worries about being bitten off which seems to happen a lot....I'm still a novice at this form of angling.                                                                                                       

So the only thing that ties the hook to the mainline is mono? I don't see the point of the metal if it's not attached to the hook. Not trying to knock you or anything, I just don't understand it.   :headscra:

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:52:16 AM »
 t^
Nice camper, in joy it!
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline SHARKBITE

• Shark Bite Bucktails
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Shark Bite Bucktails
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »

So the only thing that ties the hook to the mainline is mono? I don't see the point of the metal if it's not attached to the hook. Not trying to knock you or anything, I just don't understand it.   :headscra:

I use Braid over mono on my reel. The braid is attached to the metal leader on the top swivel, sinker going on the snap at the bottom. I run the mono leader for hook off of the swivel eye for the metal leader. If, I'm bit off, it's just the hook  and not both hook and sinker. Puts the hook befor the sinker so I feel the hits better through the braid as well. Hope that all makes sense...

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »

I use Braid over mono on my reel. The braid is attached to the metal leader on the top swivel, sinker going on the snap at the bottom. I run the mono leader for hook off of the swivel eye for the metal leader. If, I'm bit off, it's just the hook  and not both hook and sinker. Puts the hook befor the sinker so I feel the hits better through the braid as well. Hope that all makes sense...

Finally pictured it in my head. Can't argue if it works. You've caught more stipers than me this year.

Offline wimpy

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »
Well howdy neighbor, just realized your from Levittown. Never noticed it before. Born and raised, living in Goldenridge now. Small world.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 03:47:57 PM »
Puts the hook befor the sinker so I feel the hits better through the braid

try a fish finder/ sinker slide  two names, same thing.

I'd swear my catch ratio went up when I switched over and started using them. It puts the sinker before your swivel and allows the line to move freely through the slide, increasing sensitivity and I believe less spooking fish from them feeling the weight.

All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 04:30:26 PM »
Puts the hook befor the sinker so I feel the hits better through the braid

try a fish finder/ sinker slide  two names, same thing.

I'd swear my catch ratio went up when I switched over and started using them. It puts the sinker before your swivel and allows the line to move freely through the slide, increasing sensitivity and I believe less spooking fish from them feeling the weight.

whs That's all I use. Unless I run out then a 3 way swivel does the trick.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-