Author Topic: Also new to surf fishing  (Read 1582 times)

Offline robmedina

Also new to surf fishing
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:37:17 AM »
Hi all,
I have been browsing the forums and I immediately noticed that this group seems to be more receptive of not only new users but also newbie surf fishermen.
That being said, I live in cherry hill nj and can make any beach in nj but would prefer something on the closer side ISBP is of course a spot to try. But would like Ocean City, or cape may if they are worth trying. Any advice would be helpful
Currently I have a 15' for bait, 9' for bait or plugs and a couple 7'ers that I can cast with spoons or lighter lures. I also have a surf fanny bag that can carry 2 rods for on the move fishing. Looking to catch anything that bites but stripers would be great!
Anyway- thanks for the information in advance.
Rob

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: Also new to surf fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »
 grtn..Hi Rob  wa  I don't surf fish but you are right about the site, I am sure before the end of the day somebody here will be able to answer all your questions..... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Also new to surf fishing
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 02:41:59 PM »
Hi Rob, new comers are always welcome here.  We all remember when we were in your spot abet for many of us it has been a long time ago.

Your arsenal of rods seems just fine as for the most part your casting will be much shorter distances than most think. Being the season has just started I will mention what to use and get into other plugs and lures to use.

Right now small baits are doing well for the bass.  HI/LO rigs with 2/0 to 3/0 hooks and bait cut from clams just big enough to fit on the hook.  I like to cut the foot and than cut it length wise as you can put them onto the hook like a worm.

My tactic right now is to use lighter weight so the bait can travel some distance from where it lands.  This way you can cover a bigger area.  If you have 2 rods similar throw them both out but put a chunk of bunker on as well.  Remember not to big.  I like to tie my own leaders and I use 30# test line and tie dropper loops for my hi/lo rigs.  all total the length or about 30" or so.

Be patient as the blitzes have not started yet and it will take time for the fish to smell the bait.  Oh yeah I like to use circle hooks as well.  dead-stick them and wait till the rod goes wild and start reeling.  No need to set the hook by using circle hooks there is no need to jerk the rod to set the hook, the fish will do all the work.

If you like, but it is a bit early, you can try to use plugs and lures as the fish are starting to go for these more so the blues than the bass.  I like to use smaller plugs in a school bus color of blue and white.  Also try using bucktails, I like white with a pink or white curly tail trailing off the hook.  Deadly for blues right now.

One other thing read up on how to read the water/beach.  Once you can do this no matter where you fish you will be able to find the cuts and troughs/slough's with ease.  After Sandy the bottom structure closer to shore has totally changed and so must your tactics.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=3964.0

If you have any questions don't hesitate to throw them out there.  Someone will chime in and help you out.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-