Author Topic: new member, considering new rod\reel combo. would like opinion  (Read 3782 times)

Offline robdog

Hi, new member, been reading.  just regisitered though.
I surf fish about 5 times a year so i don't need anything expensive.  opinions on rod\reel combo would be great.  I fish in the sea isle city corsons inlet area.  i guess a med\heavy rod is in order.  I usually use squid strips and fish on the bottom so I am a whatever bites type fisherman.  I also like to throw some lures from time to time.

I was looking at this saw this one

opinions for an occasional fisherman would be great.

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
Re: new member, considering new rod\reel combo. would like opinion
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
go to Cabela's and hold that combo for yourself and see how it feels. IMHO, if you are willing to spend $150 on that combo, you can probably match a better rod/reel for just as much or a few bucks more. But if you're only going to use it 5 times a year, it should do the job.  beware, fishing gets to be an expensive sport. lol

Offline robdog

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »
If you have a couple suggestions I would love to hear them.
Thanks!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
I have never used a Daiwa Rod, but I used a Daiwa reel, similar model that is no longer made, and that reel was a workhorse!  You couldn't kill it.  I still have it and it is still mechanically sound, just a bit on the heavy side.  I had that reel on an Ugly Stik and fished that for almost 20 years!

What price range are you looking to be in?  $150?

I agree, you definitely need to handle the setup and get a feel for it.  For the price, I think that is a good setup for the amount you want to fish.  You could shop around a bit and might find something a little better in the $200 range.  A Tsunami or Tica Rod with a Daiwa, Penn, Okuma or maybe even a Shimano?  I haven't really priced rods & reels lately, but it could be doable.

Good luck!

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »
The Daiwa reel looks decent.  They sell it for $70 so that leaves $80 for a rod based on the price of the combo. You can get a 9' Tica TC2 for $85, only $5 more than the combo.  I'm a big fan of Tsunami but will probably run you around $100.  Like I said, you got to play with them in the stores and get a feel for it.  If you're just soaking bait casting and leaving it out there til something eats it.  Just about any combo will do.  But once you get to throwing lures, constant casting and retrieving,  a poorly matched combo can wear you out quick.  Go to any sporting goods store and play with the rods and reels. If the store is worth anything, they'll let you pair both together and get a true feel rather than 1 piece alone. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-