Author Topic: Howdy rookie to the salt water, few questions (nighttime suf/beach)  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Gearhead07

Hey y'all my names Eric I am a big freshwater fisherman in kinda central pa ( by Cabelas if u where ever there) me and a buddy have been watching and doing research on catching small sharks from the beach. It was in feild and stream top 100 things to do last summer. So I was out with an ex about 3 years ago on a boat.

Basically we are looking for a good time, neither of us eat fish but love the action. So we would be happyg with rays and small sharks.

I bought 2 12' surf rods at a yard sale and just put new reels on them and we are considering going this weekend.

My questions
1. Permits? I did the registry, is that all I need.
2. Location, I'm about 2 hours away from belmar, that is the closest. We are looking for a place we can drive into the afternoon, fish from 7pm till maybe 12 or so and drive home
3. I have a lifted jeep, so maybe beaches/dunes I can drive onto?
4. Any advice

Thanks much!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:28:52 PM by Gearhead07 »

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
 wa

It's a bit early for sharks and rays.   They won't be around till July/Aug when the ocean temps are higher.  Right now is primarily stripers and bluefish.
Some beaches are still restricted from storm damage, but most are open for fishing.  The only beach that allows 4wd access at this point is Island Beach State Park or Corsons Inlet by permit.
Generally for sharks and rays you want a heavy test line with a fishfinder rig, large hook on wire leader and bunker, bluefish or mackerel chucks for bait. 

Offline Gearhead07

Alright sweet thanks a lot! I was told about the fish finder rig and I have steel leaders.

So stripers is the target fish right now. I have watched a couple videos and see peopl using like a crank bait? What is the best way for a beginner? I'm assuming odds are better in the morning?

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-