Author Topic: New to Sharking from the Surf in NJ  (Read 1801 times)

Offline OceansBlue

• Full Member of the Den
New to Sharking from the Surf in NJ
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful information to surf fish for sharks in NJ, primarily in Cape May (or other locations that you know are good).  A couple of my friends and I are looking to do a trip in July.  I know in South Florida I tend to use my 50 & 80 class Penn Int'l lever drag reels, with 500lb leader, #19 wire, and large 14/0, 16/0, and 18/0 circle hooks to catch the many black tips, nurse, hammerheads, & tiger sharks.

Is this the appropriate gear as well for NJ, or could it be overkill for up here? I know it's possible to hook into a nice size mako.  Also, what kind of bait is best for shark fishing up here from the surf, and do local bait shops carry it (if not, where can I get it)?  Are there any spots from the land/beach that are particularly better / a particular beach or outcropping? For example Cape May point?  Do you run a chum slick from the surf as well (I know this could be frowned upon)?

In addition, what time of the month is good for shark fishing (new moon, full moon / incoming tide, outgoing tide)?

Thank you for any assistance & information that you can give me.  I know South Florida shark fishing like the back of my hand, but I feel like I could be in a completely different world up here.

Tight Lines,
Doug
Life is a beach ... a walk in the sand, a tropical drink, a calypso band

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-