Author Topic: Damn Flies!!!  (Read 2331 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Damn Flies!!!
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »
Well I had my Uncle out today as he showed up earlier than expected (9:30 am) it was suppose to be a night trip this time, oh well. 

The wind was out of the WNW and I told him that the flies were going to be B A D  AZZ but I guess until you experience it first hand you don't really believe an insect could be so bad.  Well they were all over the windows at Gillkins and we never got out of the vehicle.  Drove south to the inlet where if was defiantly better but crowded.

We drove up close to A23 and found a good looking spot and the wind shifted and was coming out of the North, ah no flies. 

We set up camp and started fishing.  First fish was a Croaker and the second was a Sea Robin.  This went on for about an hour.  Than guess what happened the wind changed and was coming straight out of the West, guess what was back?  Damn FLIES...  We tried to stay later but they were so bad that by 6:30 we had to get off the beach.  At least we were not skunked and I did get some time in getting the kinks out of casting my Penn 525 Mag.  Man can that thing cast a plug a mile.

Okay, today's set ups were HI/LO rigs with 3/0 Gammie circle hooks and we were using clams.  We were holding with 3oz of lead.  The ocean was a beautiful shade of green as you could see through the waves it was so clean.

I did pick up a Redgill teaser and I am going to try and reproduce it in the vise using artificial stuff to mimic the colors and try to come close to the movement of the tail.  Good summer project that will keep me home during the day and fish at night.

Tho problem at night right now is that there are so many people using the beaches (all 10 miles of it) that the holes from fire pits and stuck car dig outs, will be a problem.  So if you go at night now be careful as I would suggest doing a recon during daylight hours and avoid those areas at night.

All in all we did not get skunked as we were out there for about 9 hours and caught and were chewed up pretty good.  I have no idea what it would be like without Deep Woods spray.

Hope to be back out there soon (but at night next time).

Happy catching everyone.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Damn Flies!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:09:55 AM »
Nice report Paul. t^  Too bad about the flies.

Those Red Gills are the best, especially when the sand eels are around. ;)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 05:34:45 AM »
Nice report Paul.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:57:15 AM »
 t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »
 t^........ chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-