Author Topic: Free beach access a thing of the past?  (Read 4059 times)

Offline tstoessler

Free beach access a thing of the past?
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:19:50 PM »
Why are we now charged to get on beaches?  Are all towns doing it?  Wasn't there a court ruling back a few years mandating that fisherman must be given free access?

About a month ago I took a friend from N. Carolina to Long Branch to fish the suds. Most out of staters are amazed that NJ beaches aren't free to the public.  I assured him that isn't a problem if you are fishing.  Well, much to my surprise and shagrin, we were asked to pony up in order to enter. The girl said it started last week.

I was approached by a pissed off old-timer fisherman who said he spoke with the Superintendent of Parks for Monmouth. Co. who told him that they were misinterpreting the ruling. 

Please advise

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Free beach access a thing of the past?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
Access to the beaches during Guarded hours in season, no matter what activity you are partaking in has always required a fee in the majority of towns.  Some beaches/towns do not even allow fishing on bathing beaches during Guarded hours in season.  Most township beaches are bathing beaches and do not have a fishing area.  Only places like Sandy Hook or Island Beach State Park have separate beaches and they charge fees 24/7/365.  After Guarded hours and out of season, most municipal beaches are free.

Beach access is a thing of the past and has been ruined by the works of many people!  Public access to waterfront areas is a thing of the past as well.  In Toms River, you cannot fish or crab on any public mainland waterfront area.  They have passed ordinances and post signs that are enforced with summonses!

You will get many mixed opinions on this issue, especially with the issues "Sandy" has brought to the surface.  Overall, fishing is not free and never will be.  Fisherman and outdoorsman will always be heavily taxed and regulated no matter who is in office.

t^

Offline RON B

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:56:10 AM »
Sad state thd

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »
IIRC, SH only charges between Memorial Day and Labor Day. And only til 4PM those days. Not nearly 24/7/365

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 06:44:35 PM »
IIRC, SH only charges between Memorial Day and Labor Day. And only til 4PM those days. Not nearly 24/7/365

Thanks for the correction, but you do need a permit to fish SH at night, still correc?  IBSP always charges, year 'round.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 10:24:34 AM »
you do need a permit to fish SH at night, still correc? 

Again, IIRC, in the summer you can fish SH from 4pm-10pm with no fees, no permit. The permit is for parking after hours, and is enforced after 10pm (?). I think it switches to 8pm as the daylight fades in the fall, but by them they stop charging the day fee. So there's always opportunities to fish for free there regardless of the time of year.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »
you do need a permit to fish SH at night, still correc? 

Again, IIRC, in the summer you can fish SH from 4pm-10pm with no fees, no permit. The permit is for parking after hours, and is enforced after 10pm (?). I think it switches to 8pm as the daylight fades in the fall, but by them they stop charging the day fee. So there's always opportunities to fish for free there regardless of the time of year.

Thanks!

Offline Spanky

• my facebook page
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 07:28:25 AM »
I usually go to the rocks in Belmar during the regular season. It is always free. There is a beach between the rocks and the fishing pier that you can access from the rocks also.  t^
The secret to catching fish is, to fish, where the fish are.

Offline zaprunner

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »
Had a permit in Brogantine going on 10 years now and they have always charged. Their access is a bit of a crux tho. To get to the state part of the beach you have to enter through the City. Down past the bird tower there is a road that heads all the way to the inlet you can still see the telephone poles running down that way. If there was a way to have a state permit Im sure it would be cheaper than the $175 the City charges thd thd
NJBBA member #4994, NJ2AS (NJ second amendment society) member, NRA Member

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 09:17:21 AM »
Bradley Beach, as far as I remember, has let me come on the beach with my poles and fish for free anytime. As long as you fish the areas where there are no swimmers I never had a problem. Either way payin to get on the beaches is nonsense. My two cents!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-