Author Topic: Aluminum fuel tank and ethanol  (Read 4973 times)

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
Aluminum fuel tank and ethanol
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »
I need some help!!!  My boat hasn't been running right for over a year now.  Take it in the shop yet get it running than I run it and it keeps stalling out.  I pumped out all the fuel twice.  Had it running this weekend after ten minutes one stalled out and I limped it back and that other motor also ha a hiccup getting in. Everything on these motors is new. Pumps filters. 9000.00 fillers later and wasted two summers now and it still isn't right.  The last time I pumped my fuel out I had fourty gallons in and after a month of sitting the fuel was all cloudy. I will be taking a sample today and if it cloudy could it be my aluminum tank that is bad.  The tanks are 2001. Has anyone else had a tank problem.
Tight Lines and Screaming reels

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Aluminum fuel tank and ethanol
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »
From what I could find 10% should not have any effect on aluminum tanks. Is your tank vented? If it runs for 10 minutes then starts acting up I would look else where. If you let it sit after it stalls will it run again for another 10 minutes?

Read this.
http://www.iboats.com/basics/fuel_system_tips.html

"If fuel starvation is a symptom first suspect the tank vent, and the quickest way to eliminate that as a possible problem is to operate without the tank cap installed or closed."

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »
 whs

Also make sure all your fuel line clamps are tight and its not sucking air from a connection
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »
or a leak on the suction side of the fuel line? clamp/hose/kink?

wouldn't explain cloudy fuel tho- maybe water entry thru filler or vent.

crap inside on tank bottom- are you able to empty it completely? almost never can...

fuel filters again it just takes a lil bit of crapa fuel to f them up. same with carbs and injectors. just cuz they are new don't mean they are right.

I can imagine your frustration, I had a modified ski years ago that had mild top ring sticktion only under load SEIZE cough stop. teardown and sucking commenced

Hopefully it's not that- you will never find it chasing a fuel problem. check the compression.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »
dam Eddie you are too fast on the typing

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58:05 AM »
dam Eddie you are too fast on the typing
;D
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:09:15 AM »
It is a 2001 200hp hpdi Yamaha.  I have fifty psi at the vst tank and my air pressure that should be around 700psi is barely putting any psi out. Get it fixed than it happens again. I want to check the fuel lines from vst to pressure pump and see if it is gunked up inside. 

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 12:56:18 PM »
Reminder to look for a collapsed or crimped fuel line.  Sometimes the straps that hold the line in place can be crushing it a bit.
Sorry for your troubles.
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »
 whs

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that (I think) the HPDIs have "mystery filters" right at each injector. Basically a tiny basket shaped screen designed as a last resort to catch crap before the tiny orifice in the injector. Apparently Yamaha did not include it as a part on the parts lists originally, so there was some confusion even as to their existence. A lack of availability of it as a replacement part (Yamaha sources the injector as an assembly from a 3rd party) compounded the problem. Supposedly fixed.

Check out thehulltruth.com as I recall I read it there (so it must be true...)

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 10:13:42 AM »
I had the injectors cleaned and there is a filter about the size of a pencils eraser.  The boat is at Lockwood marina and they can't figure it out either. I want to check the fuel line between vst and high pressure pump

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-