Author Topic: Aluminum fuel tank and ethanol  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
Aluminum fuel tank and ethanol
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »
I need some help!!!  My boat hasn't been running right for over a year now.  Take it in the shop yet get it running than I run it and it keeps stalling out.  I pumped out all the fuel twice.  Had it running this weekend after ten minutes one stalled out and I limped it back and that other motor also ha a hiccup getting in. Everything on these motors is new. Pumps filters. 9000.00 fillers later and wasted two summers now and it still isn't right.  The last time I pumped my fuel out I had fourty gallons in and after a month of sitting the fuel was all cloudy. I will be taking a sample today and if it cloudy could it be my aluminum tank that is bad.  The tanks are 2001. Has anyone else had a tank problem.
Tight Lines and Screaming reels

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Aluminum fuel tank and ethanol
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »
From what I could find 10% should not have any effect on aluminum tanks. Is your tank vented? If it runs for 10 minutes then starts acting up I would look else where. If you let it sit after it stalls will it run again for another 10 minutes?

Read this.
http://www.iboats.com/basics/fuel_system_tips.html

"If fuel starvation is a symptom first suspect the tank vent, and the quickest way to eliminate that as a possible problem is to operate without the tank cap installed or closed."

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »
 whs

Also make sure all your fuel line clamps are tight and its not sucking air from a connection
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »
or a leak on the suction side of the fuel line? clamp/hose/kink?

wouldn't explain cloudy fuel tho- maybe water entry thru filler or vent.

crap inside on tank bottom- are you able to empty it completely? almost never can...

fuel filters again it just takes a lil bit of crapa fuel to f them up. same with carbs and injectors. just cuz they are new don't mean they are right.

I can imagine your frustration, I had a modified ski years ago that had mild top ring sticktion only under load SEIZE cough stop. teardown and sucking commenced

Hopefully it's not that- you will never find it chasing a fuel problem. check the compression.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »
dam Eddie you are too fast on the typing

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58:05 AM »
dam Eddie you are too fast on the typing
;D
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:09:15 AM »
It is a 2001 200hp hpdi Yamaha.  I have fifty psi at the vst tank and my air pressure that should be around 700psi is barely putting any psi out. Get it fixed than it happens again. I want to check the fuel lines from vst to pressure pump and see if it is gunked up inside. 

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 12:56:18 PM »
Reminder to look for a collapsed or crimped fuel line.  Sometimes the straps that hold the line in place can be crushing it a bit.
Sorry for your troubles.
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »
 whs

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that (I think) the HPDIs have "mystery filters" right at each injector. Basically a tiny basket shaped screen designed as a last resort to catch crap before the tiny orifice in the injector. Apparently Yamaha did not include it as a part on the parts lists originally, so there was some confusion even as to their existence. A lack of availability of it as a replacement part (Yamaha sources the injector as an assembly from a 3rd party) compounded the problem. Supposedly fixed.

Check out thehulltruth.com as I recall I read it there (so it must be true...)

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 10:13:42 AM »
I had the injectors cleaned and there is a filter about the size of a pencils eraser.  The boat is at Lockwood marina and they can't figure it out either. I want to check the fuel line between vst and high pressure pump

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-