Author Topic: Considerations when buying a Fish Finder  (Read 5490 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

Considerations when buying a Fish Finder
« on: April 05, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »
Boaters … it is just about that time of the year. The day we get ready to “splash” our boats. The covers are coming off and the cleaning gets done. This is also the time that we often consider adding or changing our electronics.

If you go into your friendly marine electronics store looking for a new fish finder (depth sounder), you will see beautiful units from many companies that all have different features. You will probably have a sales guy whispering in your ear about how “powerful” that new fish finder is. How do you avoid making a wrong decision?

First, there is no best unit out there. There are many good units from many good companies. Some of them are Raymarine, Furuno, Lowrance and Garmin. You will learn that once you install the unit you purchase, you will find things wrong with it; things you do not like about it; or a cooler unit that just came out. So, there is no one perfect unit. That is the bad news. The good news is that there are a lot of very good products.

You will hear many things about power. Folks will tell you about peak-to-peak and RMS power and all kinds of other techno-babble. What you need to know is that power is not the most important specification when choosing a fish finder (depth sounder), especially if you intend to fish areas in less than 100 ft. of water.

The most important specification to look at is RESOLUTION. There are a few things that contribute to resolution. The one to look for is PIXEL COUNT, especially VERTICAL PIXEL COUNT (that is the number of pixels up and down your screen).

The bottom line with pixel count is that you should buy the highest pixel count screen that you can afford.

You will see pixel counts being quoted such as 480 x 240 (480 pixels vertical x 240 pixels horizontal/wide). The horizontal pixel count basically shows you the history of what you have gone over (or what has gone under you). A greater horizontal pixel count shows you more history.

Whereas the vertical pixel count shows you details of what is under you. More importantly, the more pixels there are vertically, the more information that will be displayed. If you were to double the amount of vertical pixels on the screen, theoretically you should be able to double the amount of information on the screen.

So, when shopping for a fish finder (depth sounder), consider RESOLUTION first. Then consider power and other features. Oh, by the way, make sure that the transducer comes with the unit before you leave the store or hit the purchase button on your favorite website.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:02:30 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Considerations when buying a Fish Finder
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »
Great Pointers Ed..

Why didn't you just throw my name in there at the end about "making sure the transducer comes with it"... ;D

Yes.  I thought I was getting a great price online..  and didn't see it wasn't coming with the transducer.. ;D

needless to say the right one is on the way..

Great read ed.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:59:46 PM by Capt. Rod »

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:33:55 PM »
I use a Garmin 330 navigation unit for work and it works awesome so if it works half as good as my nav you got a great piece coming your way.
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:46:43 PM »
heres the one i just had installed,, ;D

Display <<

5.0" (12.7cm) diagonal 256-color, TFT display
High-detail 480V x 480H pixel screen resolution
Wide viewing angles in all light conditions
Advanced cold-cathode screen and keypad backlighting
Resizeable windows and overlay data with choice of 4 data display sizes

Sonar/Sounder <<

Depth penetration to 2,500 feet* (760 m)
4,000 W peak-to-peak power
Dual frequency 50/200 kHz Skimmer® transducer with built-in temp/speed/distance readings
HyperScroll™ displays fish targets at higher boat speeds
FlashGraf™ LCD flasher+sonar graph mode
Standard sonar features - Advanced Signal Processing (ASP™), COLORLINE™, Advanced Fish Symbol I.D.™, FishTrack™, multi-zoom options, sonar alarms, backup memory, and more

GPS/WAAS/Mapping <<

Precise internal 12-parallel channel GPS+WAAS receiver
All-new, built-in, exclusive Lowrance background map with enhanced detail and nav aids
Optional MapCreate™ Accessory Pack to create higher-detail mapping
Compatible with optional plug-&-play FreedomMaps™ , Fishing Hot Spots® Elite, LakeMaster® Pro Maps, NauticPath™ USA, and Navionics® electronic charts
1,000 waypoints/1,000 event markers/100 routes
100 savable plot trails/10,000 points per trail
42 different graphic icons to mark your favorite spots
37 map zoom ranges, 0.04–4,000 miles

Plus <<

One waterproof slot for digital media card (MMC/SD not included) to record graphs, GPS details, and display optional custom mapping
Back-up memory saves customized settings
Protective cover
Sealed and waterproof
Full one-year warranty
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:58:47 PM »
Hi Reel Time,

I do some testing of units for them.

Would you like the settings that we use?

One piece of advice ...

To get the most out of the unit, do not use the Automatic settings and never use the Fish ID "feature".

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 11:51:33 PM »
Hi All,

Preferred settings to start with ... off course, some fine tuning will be necessary depending on water temperature; water depth; and water clarity (how many particles are in the water).

1. Disable the "Auto Depth Range"
2. Disable the "Auto Sensitivity"
3. Set the ASP to "Low" or "Off"
4. Set the Surface Clarity to "Low"
5. Set the "Sensitivity" option to between 70-80 percent (although you might need more or less during the course of a fishing day). Start at 80% and decrease if water is warm or has a high algae content.
6. Set the depth range to the closest you can for the water depth (i.e. if you are fishing 32 ft. of water, set the depth to 40 ft.)
7. Set Color Line to 72% (will have to adjust with water temperature)
8. Ping rate (set at 50% to start - 100% if you are running).

Also a tip. Wash the screen with 50% alcohol and 50% water. Never use ammonia!

Hope this helps and serves as a good start. Don't be afraid of turning off the automatic modes.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 07:40:17 AM »
sweet, i'll put all those sttings in next trip. will my settigns be remembered when i unhook the unit and take it home with me? i know my raymarine unit would not.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 10:51:35 AM »
Hi Reel Time,

That, I don't remember as I have power to the unit year round.

Sorry,

Capt. Ed

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 11:08:53 AM »
sweet, i'll put all those sttings in next trip. will my settigns be remembered when i unhook the unit and take it home with me? i know my raymarine unit would not.
my eagle saves everything,after some time I am just starting to learn how to use it

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-