Author Topic: [FAQ] Chlorophyll Concentrates ??  (Read 8392 times)

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
[FAQ] Chlorophyll Concentrates ??
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:03:13 PM »
 what exactly is this? and hows it work?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:31:22 PM by Capt. Rod/Hotrod »
All your tuna's are belong to me

Ruger314

Re: Chlorophyll Concentrates ??
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 11:07:38 PM »
Not going to bet my college degree on this. But Chlorophyll is part of what makes up the algae blooms which cause the dreaded Red tides. I believe it also sucks the oxygen levels out of the water and cause the temperatures to rise quicker..I think???

Joe

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: Chlorophyll Concentrates ??
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:20:30 PM »
Hi All,

Chlorophyll in the water is generally produced by plankton, so what we are in effect looking at is the amount of plankton (food!) in the water. High levels of chlorophyll should indicate off color, nutrient rich water. Lower levels of chlorophyll should indicate cleaner water, and hopefully the very low levels will indicate clean blue water. Remember that the clean blue water is also most likely very low in nutrients. So the best combination for Tuna fishing would be to find where the clean blue water (assuming the temp is good) meets an area with a higher level of plankton. That area will be more likely to hold baitfish and to concentrate the fish. Sounds like we're fishing temp breaks, doesn't it? Essentially, we've probably been fishing plankton breaks all along. For Salmon fishing I will be doing in San Francisco next week, you typically look for the nutrient rich, off-color water. In that case, then you want the areas on the chart with the higher levels, shown in red / yellow.

These charts are for free. I subscribe to paid services. The difference is the frequency of updates and their are some private satellies that can "see" areas others cannot. The downside of satellite observation is that cloud cover is your enemy.

So, these charts are great to show where bait (the food chain) maybe.

Thanks guys,

Capt. Ed

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
Re: [FAQ] Chlorophyll Concentrates ??
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 07:44:21 AM »
ok, i got it now, thanx for the lesson.
All your tuna's are belong to me

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-