Author Topic: Salmon River Fishing 10/6/07  (Read 3734 times)

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
Salmon River Fishing 10/6/07
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:46:37 PM »
Ok here is the report for fishing up in Pulaski. Picked up the cousin at 3 30 at his house up in high point, nj. Drove up there got up there around 7 30, starting fishing at around 830 after stopping at Fat Nancy's to get sponge, spinners, and what not. Fished saturday until 5 30 in the evening, and caught nothing. BUT!!! It rained saturday night which is what I was hoping for. Woke up sunday morning around 500, wanted to get to our spot early. Well we werent early enough, and we walked through woods with flashlights and got to the spot but it was taken, and instead of being rude like everyone else, we walked down river more towards the black hole but stayed a couple hundred yards above the black hole where there is an island that splits the river for a short distance. In the early morning is when me and my cousin both hooked up with 2 kings each and landed them.  A little later my cousin hooked up with a nice Coho salmon and I netted it. Shortly after that, I landed a nice 27 lb king. Had tons of fish on, lost alot that took all my line down river and SNAP. Others we almost netted them then they speed away and those would snap also. We were done fishing by 230 in the afternoon on sunday. Then we had to lug these fish up river, and up a short cliff through woods to get back to my car. That is the worst part about it. I was carrying about 80 pounds of fish on a stringer, not including my pole, net, flashlights. All in all, it was my best Salmon trip yet, I landed 3 king salmon, my cousin landed 2 king salmon and 1 coho salmon. I will be back up there October 19th through the 21st. Here are some pictures for everyone. Hope you enjoy.

Oh yeah,
 I caught them all with 10 lb test, and an 8 lb leader. I use the cajun line with the 10 lb test, then a 3 foot 8 lb leader with 3 sinkers right above the leader. Bait of the day, ORANGE SPONGE!!!!! Fish on baby!!!

P.S
Water level doesnt scare me!  >:D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 04:51:39 PM by fishon42 »
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Salmon River Fishing 10/6/07
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 05:07:42 PM »
Nice catch, great pics.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:21:25 PM »
Way to go Fishon  t^ Great Pics. Had a guy up in Osweago at one time who made Honey Smoked Salmon, That was so good you could eat it till you were sick ;D
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 08:33:06 PM »
Nice report and god fishing.  TT^
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:02:05 PM »
super nice catch.. i hear alot about fishing up there from old friends who go there often
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 09:09:51 PM »
thanks alot guys.. yeah it is a good time nick, definitly should take a trip of there if you get the time.... it has taken me a few times to learn how to salmon fish, it is really fun and they fight just like bluefish when they are on the other end of your line... lines screaming all the way down or up river, it is a fun time man.. im going back up october 19th, salmon steelhead should both be pretty hot up there, as long as it rains and gets cooler...

Fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 11:20:28 PM »
WAY   TO   GO   MARK.

I love the gauntlet.

Great pictures, thanks for posting

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 01:36:55 PM »
Hey Fishon how was the Warden pressure? Thats why my group stopped going because of knit picking by the wardens, with the rules of fishing for salmon.
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 02:57:22 PM »
Nice job Fishon!!..I know that spot well..I always called it "the Dog Run" because for years there was a dog that lived on top of the cliff facing the island and would bark pretty much non-stop..But a nice lie for sure..Figured a bit of rain would help your cause..glad you got it..Way to wack'em  t^

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
I heard a dog barking for quite a while there to be honest with you. It is the best spot that I have fished for salmon. Will be back there Oct 19th, and the 20th. The rain helped alot for sundays fishing, more fish were definitly in the river sunday than on saturday. My best fishing experience so far.

Also, the wardens arent bad at all really. I wouldnt keep a salmon if i hook it in the ass, only if I catch it the proper way by somewhere in the general area of the face or in the mouth. Saw 1 warden talking to people in the last 2 trips I went on.

If anyone is planning on going up the weekend that I am going up. Give me a holler, or let me know on here. We can meet up at the hotspots and get those salmon. Fish on

Fish On

Offline brijones1

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 07:56:28 PM »
nice job fishon  TT^
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-