Author Topic: ASMFC Approves Draft Addendum XXV for Public Comment  (Read 2164 times)

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
ASMFC Approves Draft Addendum XXV for Public Comment
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:22:32 AM »
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, DECEMBER 13, 2013
PRESS CONTACT, TINA BERGER, 703.842.0740

Addendum Proposes Management Options for the 2014 Summer Flounder and Black Sea Bass Recreational Fisheries

Annapolis, MD – The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission’s Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Management Board approved Draft Addendum XXV for public comment on proposed 2014 management approaches for   summer flounder and scup recreational fisheries.  For summer flounder, the Draft Addendum includes options that allow for management measures by region and the sharing of unused quota – both with the intent of providing more equity in recreational harvest opportunities along the coast. The specific regions being considered are (1) Massachusetts; Rhode Island through New Jersey; Delaware through Virginia; and North Carolina and (2) Massachusetts and Rhode Island; Connecticut through New Jersey; Delaware through Virginia; and North Carolina.

Draft Addendum XXV was initiated to address a growing concern that current summer flounder management measures (as established under the Fishery Management Plan) are not providing recreational fishermen along the coast with equitable access to the resource. Those measures, involving state-specific recreational management measures under conservation equivalency are increasingly being viewed as problematic due to several factors. These factors include: reliance upon recreational harvest estimates for a single year (1998) as the basis for individual state targets; a change in the abundance and distribution of the resource; and changes in the socio-economic characteristics of the fishery. The impact of the management program seemed to affect New York the most, with a 21” size limit (by 2009) and a very short season including mid-season closure. In 2013, with a fully recovered stock, New York’s minimum size (19”) was at least one inch higher than any other state, one and a half inches higher than its bordering states.

The Draft Addendum proposes a more flexible and equitable conservation approach that allows the management program to adjust to past, current, and future changes to the resource and the fishery. The biological characteristics of the summer flounder have changed with the restoration of this stock.   In particular, there has been a substantial expansion in the size and age composition, with greater overall abundance and increased numbers of larger fish.

The Draft Addendum also proposes two options for the 2014 black sea bass recreational fishery (1) coastwide measures (currently proposed at 13” TL minimum size, a 5 fish possession limit, and a season from June 1 to September 30) or (2) the continued use of management measures by northern (MA – NJ) and southern regions (DE – NC). The regional management approach has been used since 2011 and offers some advantages over coastwide regulations, which can disproportionately impact states within the management unit. Specifically, regional measures can address geographic differences in the stock (size, abundance and seasonality) while maintaining the consistent application of management measures by neighboring states.

It is anticipated that several states will be conducting public hearings on Draft Addendum XXV. Information on those hearings will be released when it is finalized. Fishermen and other interested groups are encouraged to provide input on Draft Addendum XXV, either by attending state public hearings or providing written comment. The Draft Addendum will be posted to the Commission website (wwww.asmfc.org) by December 20, 2013. Public comment will be accepted until 5:00 PM (EST) on January 24, 2014 and should be forwarded to Kirby Rootes-Murdy, Fishery Management Plan Coordinator, 1050 N. Highland St., Suite 200 A-N, Arlington, VA 22201; 703.842.0741 (fax) or via email at krootes-murdy@asmfc.org (Subject line: Draft Addendum XXV).

###

PR13-60

----------
Tina Berger
Director of Communications
Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission
1050 N. Highland Street, Suite 200A-N
Arlington, VA 22201

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

We are now on Facebook come and be a fan. 

"I am a Fisherman and that is what I am"

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
Re: ASMFC Approves Draft Addendum XXV for Public Comment
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
I don't like this. regarding Fluke, it reads in part:

"The Draft Addendum proposes a more flexible and equitable conservation approach that allows the management program to adjust to past, current, and future changes to the resource and the fishery."

This gives them the authority to just change the size/bag limits, as well as the seasons, at will. I'm sure the recreational fisherman is going to get screwed again in the near future if this goes through.

And for Black Sea Bass :

"The Draft Addendum also proposes two options for the 2014 black sea bass recreational fishery (1) coast wide measures (currently proposed at 13” TL minimum size, a 5 fish possession limit, and a season from June 1 to September 30)" 

Wow! Sounds like NJ DE & MD gets the major shaft, NY only looses 3 fish. And the short season, which also eliminates the winter fishery, ouch. Who is going to pay a party or charter boat fare to only keep 5 fish?  thd     
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline italianfisherman

Re: ASMFC Approves Draft Addendum XXV for Public Comment
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
I don't like this. regarding Fluke, it reads in part:

"The Draft Addendum proposes a more flexible and equitable conservation approach that allows the management program to adjust to past, current, and future changes to the resource and the fishery."

This gives them the authority to just change the size/bag limits, as well as the seasons, at will. I'm sure the recreational fisherman is going to get screwed again in the near future if this goes through.

And for Black Sea Bass :

"The Draft Addendum also proposes two options for the 2014 black sea bass recreational fishery (1) coast wide measures (currently proposed at 13” TL minimum size, a 5 fish possession limit, and a season from June 1 to September 30)" 

Wow! Sounds like NJ DE & MD gets the major shaft, NY only looses 3 fish. And the short season, which also eliminates the winter fishery, ouch. Who is going to pay a party or charter boat fare to only keep 5 fish?  thd     
new york been getting the shaft on seabass/fluke for a long time now, we went from 15 seabass to 8 & now if they dont shut down the 2014 season it looks like 5..

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-