Author Topic: Do you have a plan?  (Read 7362 times)

Offline Twins n Fins

Do you have a plan?
« on: December 30, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »
Wasn't going to post this but the more I thought about it the more it made sense to put it out there. I was witness to a guy slipping in the drink this week while we were on anchor. We were able to hold on to him and get him back on board! Thank God. It got me thinking about my own boat and what I would do if a man went OB! Not a good situation but one we should all be prepared for. I know this isn't a fishing report but would like to hear some input. Maybe move it to another forum. Thanks guys be safe out there.......

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Do you have a plan?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »
Throw cushion with a line attached is always quickly accessible. 
If moving or not hit the MOB button on the GPS.
Have someone keep an eye on the victim and do not lose sight.
Inform someone to put on a class 3 life vest In the event they have to go in the water too.
Have a warning flag ready "Usually in your flare box" to warn any approaching vessels of a cautious situation.
Maneuver the vessel to assist.
Watch out for any vessels in the area either so they can assist or stay away  from the rescue.
Have a boarding plan on how to get the person back in the vessel.
Even a dock line with a few loops in it to form a foothold attached to a cleat can be very helpful.
When the victim is back aboard, make comfortable and assess the situation.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Twins n Fins

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
Hunter good info, the part I have issue with is getting the guy back in the boat. This fella was  a Big Boy! We were able to get him through the fish door but if that door wasn't there I really don't know what we would have done. Makes me think a short rope ladder wouldn't be bad to keep stowed on board. That water was cold and wouldn't take long to in capacitate a person which brings up a whole nother problem which I'm sure would include the CG. Honestly a very humbling event.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »
The situation varies with the water temp.  In freezing waters, strip the victim down and add anything to keep the body temp up.  New clothes, towels, tarps.  Even cuddling to warm the victim up.  Its not gay if it's fishing. ;D
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »
Mylar blanket is the best.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »
good post, can never be too prepared...

the CG Aux teaches to not only have one person keep an eye on the MOB, but also to have them continuously point to them until they are back onboard. doesn't take much chop to lose sight of them between peaks...

hopefully Mr. MOB can help with their own recovery... a big guy / no boarding ladder / no fish door make a solid plan and execution critical... add in uncooperative/unresponsive and you best know your shyte.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »
Good info. t^

Things can go wrong very quickly on a boat.  Not too long ago my next door neighbor had a guest fall overboard while they were moving.  They never gained site of him and his body was found a few days later. nosmly

This all happened in the back bay, not a roaring ocean.  And the victim was a Coast Guard veteran.

Offline Twins n Fins

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »
Definitely throwing together a pre plan for the MOB including stowing a rope ladder to assist a person. Appreciate all the feed back. Sometimes a near miss can help us prepare for future mishaps.

Offline Reefsquatter

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:54:19 AM »
Keeping yourself calm and collected to act right is key.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-