Author Topic: SUMMER FLOUNDER AND SEA BASS PUBLIC HEARING TONIGHT  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
SUMMER FLOUNDER AND SEA BASS PUBLIC HEARING TONIGHT
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:33:44 PM »
NJ CHAPTER GIVES POSITION ON ADDENDUM XXV

January 13, 2014 - When it comes to summer flounder or fluke, the management approach to the fishery is about as divisive as the name itself!

While New Yorkers are looking at a regional approach that would put an 18-inch fluke limit, four fish bag and 128- to 135-day season in place for multiple states in a region to possibly include Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey, the idea that Cape May anglers would be forced to accept an 18-inch summer flounder while Delaware fishermen are fishing on a 16-inch size limit is causing concern in the Garden State.

Therefore, the New Jersey Chapter of the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA-NJ) is supporting Option 2 within the Draft Addendum XXV to the Summer Flounder, Scup, Black Sea Bass Fishery Management Plan for Public Comment, which would specifically allow states to lend or give their underutilized quotas to states in need of fish to offset an exceedance of its annual harvest target or to liberalize their regulations.

Under Option 2: Utilization of Additional RHL, once states with the opportunity to liberalize their recreational fishery in 2014 have finalized their management plan, any other state would be allowed to request access to the recreational harvest limit (or RHL) that is not going to be utilized by that state.

Based on the 2013 recreational harvest information coming from the Marine Recreational Information Program (MRIP), there are six Atlantic Coast states which can liberalize their regulations in 2014 based on last year's numbers, with three states that will be forced to take a reduction in harvest.  Because Massachusetts significantly fished under their RHL in 2013 according to MRIP, that state can take a 304% liberalization, while North Carolina in turn can liberalize upwards of 195%.   Capt. Nowalsky said that Massachusetts anglers fished for 132 days in 2013 on a 16-inch size limit, while North Carolina's season was open year-round with a 15-inch size limit.  Considering that North Carolina especially can't liberalize their season, size and bag much more than that, there should be additional quota available to states in need under Option 2 measures in the current addendum.

Nowalsky and the RFA-NJ chapter members are concerned about the push to create regions of shared limits, particularly because of the 'accountability measures' which were hardcoded into the Magnuson Stevens Act back in 2006.  In 2013 for example, MRIP showed that Connecticut went over RHL to the point that that state must make a 67% reduction in harvest, while New Jersey must take 21% and New York 15% in 2014.  Based on the punitive nature of the 'accountability measures' and the payback mechanisms in the law, if MRIP shows a similar overharvest in 2014 in that region, instead of sharing an 18-inch size limit these same states could end up looking at 19- to 20-inch size limits in years ahead as payback.

About Recreational Fishing Alliance
The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Re: SUMMER FLOUNDER AND SEA BASS PUBLIC HEARING TONIGHT
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
NY has gotten the shaft on Flukies for a few years now- worse than NJ.

Surprised any NY PBs are fishing for them. Do you see any NJ boats going for winter flundies these days? Same shyte.

Pay to play is extending into fishing so be prepared to pay. It's another politico money grab- just follow the officials and you will find the money. or the other way around.

Unfortunately these blowhards tend to keep these public hearings purposely inconvenient, relatively unpublicized, and downright underhanded thereby perpetuating the flawed science that guarantees I will have to fluke-strude 75% of my catch and hide the other 25% under scaly towels in my cooler if I want to eat any seafood not caught in a supermarket.

ARRRRR! I gon' fly the jolly this year...

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: SUMMER FLOUNDER AND SEA BASS PUBLIC HEARING TONIGHT
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:18:02 PM »
NY has gotten the shaft on Flukies for a few years now- worse than NJ.

Surprised any NY PBs are fishing for them. Do you see any NJ boats going for winter flundies these days? Same shyte.

Pay to play is extending into fishing so be prepared to pay. It's another politico money grab- just follow the officials and you will find the money. or the other way around.

Unfortunately these blowhards tend to keep these public hearings purposely inconvenient, relatively unpublicized, and downright underhanded thereby perpetuating the flawed science that guarantees I will have to fluke-strude 75% of my catch and hide the other 25% under scaly towels in my cooler if I want to eat any seafood not caught in a supermarket.

ARRRRR! I gon' fly the jolly this year...
t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-