Author Topic: Fluke regs announced  (Read 18581 times)

Offline SHARKBITE

• Shark Bite Bucktails
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Shark Bite Bucktails
Fluke regs announced
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:23:40 PM »
 thd   >:(  rgmn

So they announced today that we will go to a regionalized fishing program contrary to public sentiment and input for fluke and seabass...2014 means 4 fluke bag limit at 18 inches...feel sorry for the charters and party boats...

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
Re: Fluke regs announced
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:28:18 PM »
Bend over men........ thd   rgmn
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
 nosmly

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »
What even as much as an I Love You . Their sticking it to us .  nosmly

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »
They just listened to us to make us feel warm and fuzzy.......and then did what they wanted to do anyway........... nosmly

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:10:36 PM »
Since me and Nick like sushi Will be bringing cooked rice, wasabi soy sauce and a very sharp filet knife.Catch and eat.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:21:08 PM »
How long a season? 5hrug

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
128 days

Offline SHARKBITE

• Shark Bite Bucktails
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Shark Bite Bucktails
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:33:50 PM »
128 days

Yep....Only until they declare we over fished our quota in NJ and we have to give some more up to NY or CT

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 04:45:51 AM »

Have they changed the regs for commercial too?

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 06:40:53 AM »

Of course, what NJ anglers are lamenting, NY anglers are applauding.  They have been fighting for a more equitable split of the fluke fishery for some time now.

Governor Cuomo Announces Approval of Regional Management of Fluke Fish
Press Releases
By Long Island News & PRs       Published: February 04 2014 

Albany, NY - February 4th, 2014 - Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that members of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission have voted 7-4 in favor of a proposal to put New York in a region with New Jersey and Connecticut, requiring the same rules for fluke fishing for all three states.

“Today’s vote requiring that New York’s fisherman be held to the same standards as those in neighboring states is a big victory for our fishing industries, especially on Long Island,” Governor Cuomo said. “For more than a decade, New York’s saltwater anglers have endured the toughest fluke regulations on the eastern seaboard – regulations that were unfair and caused the local fishing industry to lose money. As Attorney General and Governor, I have worked with New York’s fishing industries to make the fluke quota more fair and equitable; today, our hard work has paid off. I applaud ASMFC members for righting the status quo. This approval will go a long way in helping to grow New York’s recreational fishing industries.”

This summer, Governor Cuomo sent a letter to the U.S. Department of Commerce calling on the agency to undertake an immediate reassessment of regulations pertaining to the amount of fluke that may be legally caught by commercial or recreational anglers. The Governor also warned the Federal Government that New York State was prepared to file suit if action was not taken to ensure that New York’s anglers get a fair deal.

Click here to view the Governor’s letter to the U.S Department of Commerce.

Since 2002, states from North Carolina to Massachusetts have managed their recreational fluke fisheries using state-specific harvest limits, or “quotas,” based on estimated harvests from 1998, the last year all states had the same rules for fluke. However, the fishery has changed dramatically since 1998. In that year, the fluke population was just rebuilding with mostly smaller fish available for harvest. Today, that stock is rebuilt with many older larger fish available. Significantly, fluke tend to move north and east as they age and grow, resulting in an increase of fish available to New Yorkers. Thus, the distribution of fish currently does not resemble that of 1998. Under regional management, New York anglers will be given the same access to this rebuilt stock as those in states to the north and south.

http://www.longisland.com/news/02-04-14/governor-cuomo-announces-approval-of-regional-management-of-fluke-fish.html

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
While I do like that we have the same regs as NY because most of the time I fish areas that can be considered either or, these regs suck.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 11:56:17 AM »
While I do like that we have the same regs as NY because most of the time I fish areas that can be considered either or, these regs suck.

Exactly, because next year we will be 19" and 2 fish. We all know that is the objective.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 12:22:31 PM »
Tom "Bobber"   Is gonna limit out in ten minutes ;D
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
This is BS but we all knew it was coming sooner or later.  We are now in an uproar and arguing about what NY got and NJ lost.  This is what these morons want to happen.

divide and conquer/rule
"a way of keeping yourself in a position of power by making the people under you disagree with each other so that they are unable to join together and remove you from your position."

The ship is sinking quickly and PETA and the rest of these lobbying groups have a wealth of money to use against us EVIL FISH MURDERERS.

I saw an article this morning on another site that something called the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary is trying to close 55 SQ Nautical Miles to all RECREATIONAL FISHING on Steelwagen Bank.

Unless we stand UNITED as recreational fishermen no matter where we fish, we are DOOMED.

Tight Lines,
Bob G  chrz  slt
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:01:11 PM by njbob49 »

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
I actually think this will help the AH fluke fleet by opening up the NY waters like Ambrose and the VZB area where bigger fluke are.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »
We must always vote for those who protect OUR many interest and rights. Morons have to be voted OUT and their  appointees dismissed when the time comes. fngr
Support those who support us. Dump those that do not support us:Democrats,Republicans and Wal Mart included.  fngr

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 08:21:29 PM »
 nosmly
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »
WTF! I'm with Uncle Luna on the Fillet & Eat!
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 08:56:49 PM »
Any news on how wide they want us to spread our cheeks for the Sea bass this year?
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-