Author Topic: Best Line  (Read 5235 times)

Offline iSlayFish

• Full Member of the Den
  • " You can either catch fish or watch and learn"
Best Line
« on: February 24, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
What's the best line for surf fishing mono or braid? And does anyone paddle their baits out via Kayak and if so what's the preferred distant after the rollers to drop down?

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
Re: Best Line
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:51:44 PM »
Learning to read the beach/water is what will  put more fish on the sand.

I get increased casting distance when I throw braid, but have also caught a ton of fish with mono. As far as a kayak, never tried it, but getting past the breakers might take some practice.   
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline iSlayFish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 11:39:46 PM »
Yeah I have a two person ocean kayak but its not a fishing one, I can usually throw out past the rollers with mono just never tried braid I'll have to try and see if it increases my distance. By reading the beach/water do you mean looking for crap on shore like seaweed and other junk cause I try to find a clear patch or find a sand bar and try to cast either on top and reel in or try to throw past and reel up.  Cheers xx

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:56 AM »
Braid is generally a better choice.  The smaller diameter increasing casting and has less resistance in the water. 

Reading the water refers to looking for indications of underwater structure.  There is a good post stickied in the Surf forum here on reading water.

Paddling baits out is generally reserved for shark fishing.  There are plenty of bass hanging around within casting range.  It's just a matter of reading the water to find the holes, cuts and bars. 

Offline iSlayFish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »
Gotcha I'm a little new to ocean side of stripers but the bay side I've got a few spots. I'm looking for a new challenge. Cheers xx chrz

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:43:30 PM »
Braid t^

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:58:14 PM »
while fishing bait on the beach I use 50 pound power pro braid for throwing bunker heads and clam......I can put the bait on the back side of the break very easy.

Then I use 40 pound power pro braid for throwing plugs.....I can cast a 3 oz pencil a good distance.

90% of all my Big Bass have been caught in the wash 25-50 feet from shore.....reading the water is the name of the game.....Don't always have to cast a country mile to catch fish.

Kayak-1
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline iSlayFish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »
Thanks I guess I'll make some trips down to the beach around Sea isle city and take some notes down about some places and try and get a community feed back on location. 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:54:50 AM »
Welcome Aboard,

Well it has been said here before, learn to read the surf.  Once you realize its importance you will start to catch fish.  Just think about all the fly rod anglers out there that are catching their share of good sized stripers.  If you need help learning to read the sand just ask one of us regulars and stop us and fish with us we will gladly show you the techniques we use.

As for braid vs. mono I switched to braid years ago and have never went back for off the beach.  I use eather 30 or 40 lb braid and have had great success with it.  One of the things I like about it is the non stretch factor.  You can feel every little bump and strike.  The line is very sensitive.  Plus the no stretch issue is a great factor when setting the hook.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Tonyc1

• TonyC1
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »
For lures i use mono 17lb trilene xl...never had a fish break it...toothy ones can of course cut it.  On my deadstickin rod..which I just cast out with bait & a sluggo teaser(which is what they hit 80 percent of the time)..i use braid..long casting & more fits on my reel which would almost go empty when usung mono.  I do attach about 25 ft of mono leader to make attching thevterminal tackle easier & to have mire abrasion resistance.  Last reason i use mono leader....if you ever think of grabbing the line with braid DO NOT..it will cut you to the bone!!
SLUGGOS RULE!!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-