Author Topic: anybody want to know where the small seabass are?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
anybody want to know where the small seabass are?
« on: October 14, 2007, 08:56:54 PM »
Today was going to be a clamming day for stripers.  I had six fishermen aboard,  including me.  Johnny Oz, Andy, Lou, Bob G, SouthPaw Vinnie, and of course, me.

We went north, aiming for the Sandy Hook clam beds.  On the way we were greated with a lot of bird action.  Not one to miss an opportunity, I headed over to the birds.  During several run and gun moves we jigged up four blue fish that went about eight pounds.  Lot's of fun. 

After the birds dispersed we again aimed north, going past our usual bottom fishing haunts.

We got to the clam beds and it was barren.  Not a soul in sight.  Nor were there any good marks.  The wind was coming from the north-northwest and gave us about a three to four foot sea.  We moved into the Sandy Hook reef to get away from the wind.  There were plenty of boats at the reef, mostly drifting.  I watched the area where they were drifting and picked a spot to anchor outside their drift zone.  After we were hook up on the anchor, a party boat decided he wanted to drift this area now.  I didn't like the odds (he was way bigger than us) so decided to pull anchor and drift along with the fleet.  Poor anchor, it was stuck fast between some rocks, and after a little coaxing, came up with a large bend in the shank.

We got absolutely nothing while drifting this area.  Didn't see anyone else catch a thing either. 

Picked up our lines and headed south.  Went to the outside buoy and put out some trolling lines.  Trolled toward the inside buoy at the rocks and hit another nice blue fish near the inside buoy.  No stripers to be had.

Put on some clark spoons and picked up the speed of the troll hoping for some albies or bonitos.  No luck.

Shot down to our spots at the red church.  Now this is where the small seabass are.  All of them that you want.  It wasn't a drop and reel type of action, but we got our share.  Oh, I forgot, we also got a keeper porgie.

Headed back to the dock, cleaned the boat, cleaned the blues and porgie and will give it another try on another day.  And I need a new anchor.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: anybody want to know where the small seabass are?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 08:59:51 PM »
yeah, horrible weekend, maybe the last blow has alot to do with it...
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »
 whs
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 09:38:14 AM »
One thing for sure Joe, We know it's nothing we are doing wrong, all the reports are the same. Nobody is doing anything to write home about.
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »
Can't figure it, usually after a good blow like we had the clam beds are so churned up the bass are in there feasting .......NOTHING...and NOTHING in all the usual Productive spots......worst two days on the water I ever had........only highlight was a 5 lb Fluke Saturday evening....yes, much to my dismay we sent him swimming :-\

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 10:22:19 PM »
Hi All,

I have been saying it for a few years now.

The best sea bass fishing is in the Spring!

I plan on going out tomorrow. If I give it a try I will post a report.

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline rossg

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:15:15 AM »
Yes
The same results.No blackfish and tons of fish tank seabass.
Sunday there was a bluefish blitz off long Branch
Looking forward to a blackfish stripe run when it cools down.
Maybe by NOV
Ross
The Lady J

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-