Author Topic: feeding fat head minnows  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Scott Bailey

• seabass sharks cod ling stripers i love fishing
feeding fat head minnows
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »
ive got like 5 dozen fat head minnows left and i dont want to loose them what can i feed them i got them in an  airated 30 gal cooler :)

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: feeding fat head minnows
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:58:07 AM »
How long do you intend on keeping them in a bucket?   5hrug Might not need to feed them at all.
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 12:34:58 PM »
How long do you intend on keeping them in a bucket?   5hrug Might not need to feed them at all.
till i use them up i may not go out till next week end i tried to post the pictures of my last few trips but its says its limited to 500 kbs
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:36:20 PM by Scott Bailey »

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:10:42 AM »
They like to eat bread.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:33:07 AM »
They like to eat bread.

okay thank you :)

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:36:11 AM »
till i use them up i may not go out till next week end i tried to post the pictures of my last few trips but its says its limited to 500 kbs

I can help you re size them if you need. PM me and we can go from there if you need help....it's super simple....  t^  

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:40:43 AM »
In all the years I sold bait, we never ,ever fed them.. it mucks up the water too much.. I guess you could throw them a little bread, but I wouldn't worry much about feeding.. whats more important, is to keep the water fresh and oxygenated.. fatheads are pretty hardy, and need less oxygen then say, shiners.. but unless you have an aerator set up, I would be changing the water at least once a day..(even with an aerator, it should be changed every couple of days)  keeping the water cool with a little ice occasionally will help also..not too much at once, or they can go into thermal shock.. but colder water can retain more oxygen and will slow their down metabolism so they use less t^

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »

I can help you re size them if you need. PM me and we can go from there if you need help....it's super simple....  t^  
okay sounds good thanks

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »
In all the years I sold bait, we never ,ever fed them.. it mucks up the water too much.. I guess you could throw them a little bread, but I wouldn't worry much about feeding.. whats more important, is to keep the water fresh and oxygenated.. fatheads are pretty hardy, and need less oxygen then say, shiners.. but unless you have an aerator set up, I would be changing the water at least once a day..(even with an aerator, it should be changed every couple of days)  keeping the water cool with a little ice occasionally will help also..not too much at once, or they can go into thermal shock.. but colder water can retain more oxygen and will slow their down metabolism so they use less t^
okay thanks treebeard they ate a peice of small fish i gave them so they should be good

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:05 AM »

Great advice.  Mark knows what he's talking about. t^

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 03:28:31 PM »
hmmm I wonder if i could keep them in a fish tank
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 06:45:26 PM »
thanks guys and yes people do keep them as pets :) heres a link to some photos of the fish i caught i just got a smart phone so im trying to figure out how itb works grrr https://www.facebook.com/scott.bailey.589/posts/483637885095028?notif_t=like
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:10:09 PM by Scott Bailey »

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:01:21 AM »
i have about 2 dozen in a 25 gallon fish tank with the filter going and the water is definitly on the colder side... put a piece of bread in there small piece and they have been pecking at it over the last few days....so far i lost one fat head..

i was cleaning the part of our koi pond where the water gets sucked in through the pipe and underground through to a waterfall/dam like thing and the net that blocks the crap from going in, i had 3 little perch about 4 1/2 inches long that were in there that i had to throw into my fish tank b/c they will keep getting sucked in, im sure the fat heads will be history soon.. and the little tadpoles.. lol
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Scott Bailey

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »
lol just feed the pearch worms im sure they would leave the minnows alone haha https://www.facebook.com/scott.bailey.589/posts/483637885095028?notif_t=like and heres the photos of my last trips

Offline cricker

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 10:05:19 AM »
theyre pretty easy to keep alive, i have found that they do better in brackish water than pure fresh, but ive also only ever kept minnows i caught in the salt marsh, bread really is not good for them, they eat it but it has no nutritional value and can block their intestines, your better off feeding them raw fish or even cheap fish food from the pet store, they can go a while without eating but if your going to keep them for a longer period of time i would feed them, they will grow and get stronger, ive had some i kept for a few months and they grew into some nice monster fluke minnows

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-