Author Topic: From the suds...  (Read 216272 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: From the suds...
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2008, 02:28:24 PM »
I took some pictures and decided to place them in reading the Beach I hope you enjoy.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=3964.msg41156#msg41156

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
Hi All,

Well tomorrow it is suppose to be a little warmer so I am going to try and get out in the afternoon and see what happens.  I will be using light lures and small plugs.  The water is in the mid 40's so anything can happen. 

I will be trying my luck at the beaches in Ortley for a couple of hours, besides I haven't tried my new conventional outfit yet.  I just might attach a 2oz bank sinker and practice casting, or I might even hook up a fish finder rig and put on a gulp something or other.

If any one will be around feel free to join me.

Unfortunately I can't make it in the morning, Honey Do's have to come first.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
Hi All,

Well it is time to be thinking of getting out and trying to catch SOMETHING.

This warm weather is causing the cabin fever to escalate and the need to fish has become intense. 

This time of year the fishing is very slow to say the least but not impossible.  If you are thinking of getting out today and tomorrow would be your best bet and at least the next 5 days.

we have a New Moon starting today so the tides will be higher than normal and the barometer is low as well making for even higher tides.  If you can get to the beach by all means give it a try.

Last nights rain should not hurt things to much but I would say that Friday is the best looking day.

What to use?  Well is I had to choose I would go for small metals with a teaser lure tied to a dropper about 12" above the main lure. 

Check the beach for a strong current running and cast to either side of that.  it is still winter and the fish will probably be small schoolies but thats OK.

Thew process is SLOW, LOW, & SMALL.  Cast out let it drop to the bottom reel in slow causing the lure to pick up sand and stuff and allowing the teaser to bounce up and down just above the bottom.  These small lures are perfect this time of year where the Bass are even more sluggish than they normally are.

I will probably be out there some time between Friday and Sunday tgrying my own advise.

Tides for these days are as follows:

Friday:    Low  1:49 AM  Sunrise 7:01 AM  Moonrise  6:51 AM
           High 7:49 AM  Sunset  5:23 PM  Moonset   6:08 PM
           Low  2:19 PM
           High 8:13 PM

Saturday   Low  1:49 AM  Sunrise 6:57 AM  Moonrise  8:09 AM
           High 8:30 AM  Sunset  5:24 PM  Moonset   8:28 PM
           Low  2:56 PM
           High 8:55 PM

Sunday     Low  3:15 AM   Sunrise 6:56 AM  Moonrise 8:33 AM
           High 9:14 AM   Sunset  5:26 PM  Moonset  9:39 PM
           Low  3:34 PM
           High 9:42 PM

I hope this helps.

Waiting for the Full Moon next.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2008, 07:57:19 PM »
OK, in short...Tomorrow temp will be 52 degrees that equates into fishing time in the afternoon.  Anyone game?

I will be at Ortley Beaches'  3rd Ave. parking lot in the afternoon some time.

BTW, there were birds working the suds today a real good sign that there might be fish in the neighborhood.

If you go give me a call cell # 732-684-0385.

Remember, if you go the best method would be low, slow and small this time of year.  Inother words use small lures on the bottom and fish it very slow.

White bucktails or AVA 17's would be my choice this time of year.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2008, 01:30:10 AM »
Hi All,

What are you doing to get ready for this years surf season?  I am still tying my rigs as I found that you can never have to many.  I always find myself tying more during the season.  Today I just finished tying a bunch of leaders using 40# fluorocarbon with Bill Fisher stainless steel swivels and at the other end I am using 75# Bill Fisher Coastlock Snap Swivels.

I like this combo simply because the tackle is your weakest link in the system and if you are targeting large striper's you want to have the best you can afford.  Stainless, in my mind is the way to go.

All the leaders I have been tying today I have been using the Uni-Knot which is a very simple knot and very strong.

I have been also been tying 6/0 circle Gamakatsu hook rigs using fluorocarbon leader material of 40#'s with the 150# swivel where I use the uni knot on the swivel and a Palomar knot on the hook end.  I like the Palomar because it is a 100% knot and I have never had a break-off where the knot was the fault.

By the time this season rolls around I will be ready to head out with enough tackle to last me at least half the season. 

I will be trying something something different this year and instead of using plastic baggies that get kind of nasty later in the season I am buying a soft sided CD holders and using the sleeves to hold my rigs.  This way I can put leaders in one, leaders with drop loops in another and hooked leaders in another.  Hopefully I can get them in different colors so I can rig up even faster by color coding.

If you have a problem with the coiling of the leader just put tension on the leader for about 10 seconds and it will straighten right out for you.

I hope this helps some of you and gets the others thinking about being out there chasing trophy fish off the beaches of NJ.

If you have any problems just ask or PM me with your questions and if I do not have the answer right away I am sure I can go th the other experts here to get some sort of remedy to that nagging fishing problem.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2008, 12:54:07 AM »
Hi All,  OK its March 3rd and yesterday morning was spent at the Berkely Striper Clubs annual flea market.  Man was it crowded.  The line was long going in and when I was finished it was long as well.

Plenty of venders selling everything from plugs to parts.  A lot of the area
B&T's were there as well.  I stopped by the NJ Beach Buggy Association's booth and signed up which I have been wanting to do for years.  Thanks guys for making me feel welcome.

I read on Grumpy's web site that they had a 39" 23# bass weighed in but no further info was given as to where or when it was caught.  The person was reluctant to give that up.  I guess he hasn't experienced our site yet.

I will be going out Monday to spring board the season down at IBSP.  Not sure what to try yet only because I have so much new stuff to try this year.  I do know I have bucktails on the menu with Berkleys new herring spray.  I will be trying the incoming tide at the inlet as well. Plus the flats out back seem very interesting this time of year.

I will post how I do later.  If you happen to be going out as well let me know maybe I will see you on the beach.

cell# 732-684-0385

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline fish bucket

« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »
thanks for joining njbba and it was nice to meet you.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2008, 11:03:52 AM »
Hi Fish Bucket, welcome to the site.  Any questions, just ask.  Anything you can add, please do so.  We are all about sharing here.  Looking forward to your posts/reports.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2008, 03:51:52 PM »
Hi Fish Bucket,

Welcome Aboard.  It was great talking to you yesterday.  I am lookingf forward to a great summer.  I was out today down at the North Jetty and for a long time I had the beach all to myself.  It was great.  I had one good hit butr it broke the leader at the dropper loop knot.  I was using a white w/ red bucktail and a red & white teaser.  It seemed that whatever hit took the teaser.  I could feel the head shake and then nothing.  BTW this was just at the turn of the out going tide to in coming after slack.

Thats OK it made my day.

I hope you enjoy the site and am looking forward to your input as well and any members from NJBBA.

Again Welcome Aboard and nice meeting you.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »
OK, I was just over at Grumpys and the poop is that all or most of all bass caught this past weekend were in fact caught at the power plant.

They were saying it was so thick with anglers that it looked like you could snag a fish there were so many lines in the water. Sorry not my style of fishing.

Give me the early season solitude of the beach and day.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline OffTheHook13

• Banned
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2008, 04:56:26 PM »
Better then workin' TRUST ME!

Hell yeah.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2008, 12:25:34 AM »
Hi All,

Just about have all my rigs tied for the beginning of the season.  I changed over most of my new plugs to single hooks and got rid of the trebles. I then changed over a few Crippled herring lures to a circle hook with a barrel swivel.  Now I have to concentrate on tying more teasers and flies for weakfish this Spring.  I will be tying a number of Ultra Shrimp for the flats out back of IBSP. I hope I can remember how to tie those puppies it has been a while.

I hope to get out sometime this week, I am having a bout of cabin fever and the need is bad... bngh

The nwe moon is this weekend but the weather is to snooty to get out Sat. and I think it will be to churned up to do any good on Sun.

BTW remember to turn your clocks ahead Sat. night.  Daylight Savings Time already.  TT^

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Gaff It

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »
Fishbucket,

Welcome aboard! 

Gaff It from ACF.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2008, 08:43:38 PM »
Hi Gaff It,  I have not seen you on much.  I hope that we can start to get some good chatter on the surf forum this year.  I think we can turn it into the go to place for some really serious info exchange.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2008, 08:53:28 PM »
HI GUYS THIS IS THE RUGMAN, NICE TO GET THINGS ROLLING . I have a boat and I still love my surf fishing . when it it the beach , they ask me why do you do that when you have a boat ? I tell them it is a better live just hanging out and watching the waves roll in TT^ slt
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »
For me there is nothing more relaxing, even when I have the ladies out or newbies.  There is something about being that close to the water and not have to fight the constant rocking, people tangling into your line or having to have the high cost of the boat itself.  Don't get me wrong I still love to go on a boat but my first love is the surf.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline OffTheHook13

• Banned
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2008, 06:23:08 AM »
Nothing beats a long walk on the beach pre-sunrise.

Casting here and there.

Noone out there but you and the gulls.

Peaceful, relaxing and quiet.

I love it. It's a refreshing start to a day.

I feel the same as Paul, boats are cool too.

I don't own one but I do fish all over on the party boats.

But surf fishing is where it's at for me. t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
Hi All,

Just got back from the beach, nope Nada, but I knew that.  I was out there getting some pictures for a project I'm working on.

I did take some shots of the abundance of shells on the beach from this past weekends blow.  If it were later in the season clams would definitely be the choice of bait.

There were birds all over the place but not working aggressively.  It is so cool being the only one on the beach.  I am looking forward to the warmer weather though.

I will post the pics as soon as I get them off the camera.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline OffTheHook13

• Banned
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »
Hey Paul,

Where in NJ are you?

South?

Ed

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Hi Ed,

I am located in Toms River,  Just across the Bay from Seaside Heights.

Here are a few pictures I took today.

Plus I switched the rod holder to the front this year, too many close calls with it in the rear.

Enjoy... chrz

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-