Author Topic: From the suds...  (Read 216273 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: From the suds...
« Reply #320 on: September 28, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »
Nice meeting you Bob!  It was good to get back out in over a week and just fish.  I decided to explore new scenery this morning and being that my Normandy Beach spot does not have parking, I didn't want to "alarm" anyone by parking in front of their house and then get packed up to go on the beach.  So, I saw that Bucktail was planning on being on Brick Beach which has a public parking lot.

It was exactly how Bob said...snotty and rough.  Lots of debris in the water and some pretty big pieces of wood, so be careful out there.  Tested out my old set of waders, which didn't leak and are in decent shape.  I remembered, why I hate waders :P!

It was a good morning out and nice to meet Bucktail out there.  Hopefully, it will get nicer out and the ocean conditions will all improve!

TT^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #321 on: October 05, 2008, 01:01:14 AM »
Finally got out again!  It has been almost a week.  Decided to trudge back to my fishing area in South SSP at Top O' the Mast.  Boy was that a mistake.  The beaches were packed...thick, like the baitfish in the bay!  People and bonfires lined up for a far as the eye could see!  I guess there are a lot of people staying at the Island Beach Motor Lodge b/c the beach between 23rd and 24th looked like a block party!

I decided to stay anyways, since it was pushing 1845 hrs and dusk was nearing dark.  Wanted to check out the new beach structure at lower tide and in some daylight.  I don't usually fish at night much.  It was a beautiful night out.  Wind was almost non existent, surf was very calm, waves 1-3 feet max, water was clean and clear and lots of broken surf clams in the wash.  Fished the incoming for a good 3 hours.  Not one hit, but like I said, it was a gorgeous early Fall night out there.  I was able to wade a good distance into the surf.  I didn't walk as much as I normally do.  Lots of new structure to fish there.  Chatted with some guys fishing out there.  No one was catching a thing.  Most of the guys were fishing clams with no luck.  A few had mullet and one guy was livelining eels out without any luck as well!

Got to try the power cast that LS3 posted earlier this week.  It worked really well for certain types of lures and heavier weights!  It actually increased my casting distance for certain lures significantly.  It was VERY VERY VERY easy to do too!  Thanks Nick for that post and pics.  Tonight made a believer and user out of me!!

So the losing streak continues for me as well, but fish or no fish it was a FANTASTIC night out fishing!

TT^

Offline Greg7

« Reply #322 on: October 07, 2008, 11:55:12 PM »
TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #323 on: October 08, 2008, 08:50:38 AM »
It is always good when you can hit the beach. Catching only makes it that much better.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #324 on: October 08, 2008, 01:45:47 PM »
Just got back from the beach, Naaaaada...

The ocean was so flat the waves were all of 6 inches.  The problem was not the lack of waves but the south wind although not to strong I guess it was enough to make a difference.

Water temps were still warm like mid 60's.  Clams were still washing up on the beach fully open with the clam still in the shell... 5hrug
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #325 on: October 08, 2008, 03:06:39 PM »
Good try again!  Although there were no fish to be had, those are some great days just to get out and walk the beach and cast in the surf for a lucky shot at any "lone rangers!"

Clams must be doing really well off the surf this year.  There were tons washing up in Seaside Park on the weekend too.  Some of them were still alive, washing up!!  I am really considering getting the $10 Recreational Shellfish License so I can scoop up some of this free bait!

TT^

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #326 on: October 08, 2008, 04:30:44 PM »
I think I saw you up on the stairs when I got down there today Paul.  I tried my hand at lures for a little while and headed out empty handed as well. 
Stopped over by Top O the Mast before that.  There were several bait pods moving around, birds working and even some fish busting out of the water a little too far off shore.  But no one over there was landing anything.
Was definetly a nice day out there though.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #327 on: October 08, 2008, 10:53:50 PM »
Very well could have been.  I was up there talking to a couple of guys and having a good time with one of them as we were tag teaming him to funny.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #328 on: October 11, 2008, 10:08:37 AM »
well, today was a toss up.  stay in bed due to lack of sleep, due to having an emergency call last night at 8 pm that kept me out of the house until 3 am, or attempt to fish.  decided to let the alarm clock stay set and see how i felt if i woke up to it.  well, i felt pretty good, so now i had a choice of hitting the streams with the fly rod to get some of those freshly stocked trout along with the ones that are still there from the spring, or hit the beach.  decided after i saw the wind was not out of the west i would hit the beach.  being it was a later start, left the house at 610, i was gonna shot straight to long branch, which is the closest to me. 

got there before sunrise and geared up.  beach was pretty packed.  worked my way from 7 presidents south to the boardwalk.  this area was empty, hhmmmm i wonder why?  maybe people cant read the sand.  worked the water hard and got a 22" schoolie on a chicken scratch bomber.  continued working south towards the boardwalk and hit a nice fat 29" striper on my black teaser.  that was fun to watch him smash it in the surface on the first twitch of a white custom swimmer.  worked my way back north and talked with two guys fishing clams.  they had no luck, but saw one guy land a keeper.  ended up hitting a small blue after that on the chicken scratch bomber.  so all in all, it was a good day.  maybe gonna get back out later or in the morning.  will post then.

Offline bayonne

« Reply #329 on: October 11, 2008, 12:22:24 PM »
the reports are good for today blue fish blitz at island beach and north east winds 10-12

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #330 on: October 11, 2008, 07:29:50 PM »
Nice report and catch Abit.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline bayonne

« Reply #331 on: October 11, 2008, 11:02:15 PM »
i tryed over on the island at great kills no good nothing but sea robins tryed bunker clams and tossing a swim shad 5hrug 5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #332 on: October 12, 2008, 10:42:31 AM »
Hi All,

Well I went to IBSP yesterday with the family and friends, set up the poles and for the most part it was a slow day.  The group decided to take a walk and I pulled in most of the rods a and left my 2 go to rods out.  One with mullet and one with clam.

There was not to much action on the surface and the birds were pretty much walking the beach.  Then the pole with the mullet took a dive and first fish on, it was a short fluke which was released post haste.  After a short time bam another hit on the same rod and again the mullet and again another fluke this time it swallowed the hook which by the way were all circle hooks so I just cut the line and rigged a new hook.

A short time later the other rod had the action and well not a keeper fish but a Star Gazer.  Pretty cool the way they bury themselves after being released.

By this time the posse returned and well lets say the action was over we had a dinner party to go to so the consensus was to end the day at the beach.

While leaving I saw a Ham friend (N2KPC) just entering the beach and told him of the small action that I had and with that wished him good luck and started to air up the tires. 

I heard the chatter on the radio as there was another ham on the beach that seemed to be into blues and well ZI did not want to hear the resat but by looking at a couple of B&T's the blue blitz hit and hit hard.

This was on the incoming tide closer to High Tide and what I can see there were some bass mixed in in the 31" size and most of the blues ranged from 8-13 pounds.  TRhis happened on Friday as well so it looks like the time to go today is in the late afternoon  till after dark.  You name it the blues were hitting it.  Everything from bunker chunks to AVA's with top water plugs making a good showing as well.  All the bass were caught on clams BTW.

So if you can hit the beach in the late afternoon and be patient the bit should heat up for you.  If you have a number of rigs to put out make sure one has a clam hooked up as the bass are following the slaughter at the beach on blues.

I forgot to mention that this action is not just in the park it is wide spread from Mantalokin to the North Jerry in the park that is why I decided to put this report here.

Good Luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #333 on: October 12, 2008, 12:35:43 PM »
hit the beach early and hard today, started off in sea girt, which i decided today to be a low tide fishing area due to the long shallow wash that almost reaches the rock piles.  i realized that last year too, but forgot until i was fishing it this morning.  ended up moving north to long branch which was good for me yesterday, but no so much today.  didnt see one fish landed at all in either place.  it was still a nice morning out on the sand.  we need more of this easterly wind which finally showed itself.  bring on a cold front too.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #334 on: October 12, 2008, 12:50:31 PM »
Nice catch and nice try Abit!

Great report and catch Paul!  Thanks for the info!!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #335 on: October 12, 2008, 12:50:38 PM »
Right now we have a NE wind blowing with light winds around 3 mph.  I will be going out later this afternoon till after dark as that is when the bite seems to be turning on the past few days.

When they cone in it is like you can throw out any thing and you should be able to catch.  It would be nice for this to last for a few more days till the crowds die down a bit.  The park was crowded all day yesterday till around dinner time when it was likew a mass migration to leave.  All the air stations were packed.

Good Luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #336 on: October 12, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
well good luck tonight.  you have it nice that your so close to the park and you can fish more during the week.  this weekend was packed everywhere i went.  but hopefully the fish arent even here yet......and this is only the beginning.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #337 on: October 12, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »
Everywhere seems to be packed this weekend!  It looks like a summer weekend, not October.  I guess with the Holiday Weekend, a lot of kids had off Thursday and Friday also, and the nice weather = crowds!

I might be able to get out this evening, but I am crowdaphobic so... 5hrug!

Good Luck Paul!

TT^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #338 on: October 12, 2008, 08:37:58 PM »
Hit S SSP tonight around 5pm through top of high tide and into dark...got the big old skunk, as did everyone else around me!

Water was very "dirty", nice easterly breeze, waves were 1-3 ft max.  Very nice out there this evening, but no fish!

Got some good pics of the sun setting behind the Mathis and Tunney Bridges.

TT^

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #339 on: October 12, 2008, 08:46:11 PM »
Real nice pictures  TT^ TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-