Author Topic: From the suds...  (Read 216377 times)

Offline surfrocket

Re: From the suds...
« Reply #360 on: October 20, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »
on my way out to bayhead mantolokin area to pitch some clams, will post report later. as i walked out of work today a bird took a dump on my head.... lol.. they say its good luck.  we will see grtn

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #361 on: October 20, 2008, 05:11:59 PM »
Good Luck!  Be safe...luck is on your side.

TT^

Offline SharkHart

« Reply #362 on: October 24, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »
Fished the beach today and it was endless rollers which I really didnt like at all, messed up the game plane and a few pops confirmed the bass were outside the breakers.   Finally found some fish by wading out to the bar near low tide including a double header of a 23" and a 25"   I could of swore i had a 48"  5hrug   Most hit the 5" storm shad.  But i had such a small window of opportunity before that incomming came roaring back and I had to clear off.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #363 on: October 24, 2008, 10:08:18 PM »
Nice catch...

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #364 on: October 24, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »
Cool! t^  Any pics?

Offline SharkHart

« Reply #365 on: October 24, 2008, 10:13:59 PM »
just this one, ha ha   I ditched the camera when i decided i was going out to the bar.  Now these suckers move  but the fish (on lures)have been in mantalooking.  sounds like the body south is taking clams

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #366 on: October 25, 2008, 02:49:32 PM »
Hi All,

Just got back from Ortley and I have to say it is nasty out there, but that doesn't stop the hardiest of hardies from fishing. 

All I can say is if you want to catch stripers now is the time.  You will have to use some heavy weight to get out because the wind is out of tghe SE about 25 gusting to over 30 but the fishing is great.

Stopped in at Grumpys (AKA Happy's Tommy is back in Trinidad for the week) and there in over half a page of weigh ins all ranging from 28" to I think the largest was a 32" all were the cookie cutter size.

Metals were working as were the clams.  If you are looking to get out be ready for a strong wind off the water They are saying that this afternoon the wind should switch out of the West and as long as the water is nasty the wind should help with the casting.

It was to bad out there for me so I called it quits after about an hour getting beat up.

The B&T's are doing great and the Blvd looks like a summer day with the traffic but the majority have fishing poles strapped to the pole holders.

I wish I could get out there more we will see what happens on Monday.

Go Get em, there here in numbers right now and should last for a few more days.  The Barometer has been falling and right now is is 29.50 and falling.  This is a good sigh as the fish will have the feed bag on for a while.

Good Luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #367 on: October 25, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »
Kayak1, I am sorry I did get your message but my phone has been doing strange things lately, which is probably my fault.  I am still getting used to it and don't have it figured out yet.  It is one of the ones that has the keyboard below the screen and looks like a Blackberry.  The buttons are to small for my fingers... 5hrug
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #368 on: October 28, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »
hit the beach friday 10/24 in long branch, managed a shorty on metal with a green tube.  decided to take a ride saturday to check the water and then headed to the canal to hit some black fish on salted clams.  caught a few, but no keepers.  headed out sunday morning and fished long branch and the hook to no avail.  hit long branch again last night and had a single hit on metal with a green tube.  long hours and only one striper.  at least i wasnt sitting around doing nothing.

on a side note...........almost had a run in with a surfer on sunday morning.  standing on some rocks in long branch all by myself, not a soul in nearby site.  notice a surfer comming into the water to the north of me and he was respectfully keeping distance.  then another to the south that was literally beaten quite badly by the waves.  next thing i notice is he is 10 feet away from me right next to the rocks and my popper.  i take a look at hit and lifted my arms as to say WTF, for him to look back like i was the A hole.  dont get it.  anyone else have a situation like this?
oh, needless to say i changed my spot cause i didnt wanna have to deal with it.  oh, and he was an older surfer.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #369 on: October 28, 2008, 07:43:16 PM »
Great report and nice try...1 fish isn't bad, especially on a lure.  The fish are being spoiled by the storms and clams!!

I have had the same problem with surfers, but only in the summer.  I just keep fishing...usually they are a bit farther out than I am casting hhppy!  I had one ride a wave in and get tangled in my line.  He tried to get me to cut the line, I told him to go pound salt and untangle himself.  They usually get the hint and stay away...if not 8oz pyramid sinkers chucked from the surfline usually keep them clear.  Most of the time, I just leave, though...like you did.  It isn't worth the aggravation for me.  I don't know why they think they own the ocean and waves??

TT^

Offline Rick,stillcasting

« Reply #370 on: October 29, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »
Guys I just want to share a happy time,, I'm always getting out, but Tuesday was special in lots of ways, hit a MoCo beach b4 first light, I was there 15 min and another guy started tossing plugs to my left and moving north like I do so I walked up to him saying Hi,, you never know what to expect in the dark, I told him as I passed him, do you wanta work the beach in a hop scotch fashion, he said,"okay" I passed him and got a bass in the dark 24" then he got one and it was nuts for  2 hours, I got 24 bass, 2 keepers to 29" I kept one and had a sweety cook it 2nite, It was awesome the dinner and company,, but more important the fish were eating sand eels still, none seen in the surf, few birds diving, mainly terns w/ gulls trying to steal a free meal. The bass were hitting the teaser over 50% of the time. I was using a 7" yellow super strike sinking needlefish w/ a red throat white belly. The simple thing I'd like to share is the bass were hitting the teaser very lightly,sucking it in,subtle,different. The trick was keep your drag set maybe a little tighter than normal to set the hook, after a few bass caught on teaser I run my sharpener over it, keep it sharp! I'll also like to share, make sure you keep your teaser at least 36" away from your main plug, I got a few doubles and it gets ugly if you have 2 on and they are too close to manage, I don't like doubles for a few reasons, like the second can put too much pressure on the plug/metal and if it is a brute it may spit hook easier than if solo,simply said. The time is now,, we have a fall run going lets hope for it to stay and the larger fish move in. I always believe there is a brute swimming w/ the kids,if you are into fish all shorts, consider changing your plug/metal to something really large- that brute may be bored w/ the sand eels and they are opportunistic creatures looking for an easy meal and you may be offering it, so be ready,, after catching 24 bass,missing at least 10, losing a few in the surf my body was aching, raw striper thumbs, I was beat up, I left them biting, I hope you all have this experience.One more thing that made my morning truly great,, an old timer came down and saw us and others hooking-up, he wasn't, for the amount of bass there he should've been hooking up, he was to my immediate left, he was reeling in way to fast! as if fishing 4 blues, I politely walked over to him after releasing a fish and suggested he reel in at half the speed he was going at,, gently bump the bottom keeping connected to the lure, 3 cast later he hooked-up he gave me a great smile as I gave him a thumbs-up, he was into fish till I left. That really was my highlight over all the fish I caught,, I wish you all the same.I'll be out tomorrow b4 first light the magic time. Rick

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #371 on: October 29, 2008, 11:22:55 PM »
Great story Rick, thanks for sharing it with us.  You never know what to expect when you give advice.  I am glad to hear that there are still a number of gentlemen out there willing to take advice of another gentleman willing to give freely.

Again thanks Rick... chrz
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #372 on: October 29, 2008, 11:37:48 PM »
Nice catch Rick!  And way to help out a fellow caster! t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #373 on: October 30, 2008, 08:19:49 AM »
Great report!  Nice catching and way to put the other guy on fish.  Bet he was happily surprised.

TT^

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #374 on: October 30, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »
Great Catch, great report and great tips! Thanks t^
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline Rick,stillcasting

« Reply #375 on: October 30, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »
Thanx for the kind words guys. I did the same place this morning,, funny how the guy to my right got 10 in the dark and I got only one. It was on a smokey joe(24-25"), his were on a black bomber,when daylight hit there were at least 20 guys lined up, very little action,though a few were caught,no size.Guys clamming were out catching.Terns were on sand eels all over the place. I decided to take a ride south and got another short and a fluke, I better not get a 5lber now! I'm heading back out now w/ the dog maybe he'll bring me good luck. What I'm hoping for is to get on a sandbar and toss out beyond into the deep blue. Good luck guys
If anything special happens I'll report later.
Come on Bertha!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #376 on: October 30, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »
Good Luck!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #377 on: October 30, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »
Good luck Rick.  I was out earlier and saw 3 shorts caught but it was the combination of wind and cold that kept me from fishing.  My hands were aching even in the pockets and as I did not bring along any hand warmers I decided not to even try.

Friday will be another day and I hear a little warmer.  I will give it a try then and also have hand warmers in the pockets as well.

I am planning on starting at Ortley and not sure if I should work north or south I guess I will decide then... :P

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #378 on: October 30, 2008, 05:24:54 PM »
I was out in Ortley this morning during the outgoing.  The wind was wicked.  Only a couple guys out and I didn't see any fish landed.

Offline Greg7

« Reply #379 on: October 30, 2008, 11:21:51 PM »
What a great time that must have been!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-