Author Topic: From the suds...  (Read 216066 times)

Offline uncorked

Re: From the suds...
« Reply #480 on: March 04, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
Great write up..
great way to start off the season!!  t^
Father/Son duo
25' Tidewater Center Console---out of Deuville Beach

Offline fishingfever

« Reply #481 on: March 06, 2011, 04:20:06 PM »
Its just great to get out there but I would wait till the end of march to start surf fishing. slt

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #482 on: March 07, 2011, 09:45:29 AM »
Surf fishing can be an all year round sport if you are willing to put up with the cold and some nasty weather.  There are holdover fish out there just waiting to be caught.  The thing that will help you catch this time of year is to use small hooks in a hi-lo configuration and use small pieces of bait as offerings.

The water is cols so the metabolism rate of the fish is way down and the digestive system is only geared to digest small pieces this way the energy used in digestion is not wasted and the fish can still function.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline scubasteve

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #483 on: March 08, 2011, 07:48:59 PM »
hey paul
iam wondering if u could give me some advise how to make those hi- low rigs so i could make some and try them at the end of the month
                  thank you
                        steve

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #484 on: March 08, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
Here's the 5cent answer
40-60lb mono or floro
Swivel on the top end to connect to the mail line.
Duolock snap on the bottom end for the sinker.
Tie two dropper loops about 3-4inches long.  Slide your hooks of choice into the dropper loops.
I usually do the first loop about 6 inches up from the bottom and the second about 12 inches up from that.  The top loop is usually 6-12 inches from the top end.   
Go with Gami octopus circle hooks.  Size depends on the time of year.  Early on, 3/0 or 4/0 is plenty.  When the bigger fish show up go up to 6/0.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #485 on: March 09, 2011, 06:54:54 AM »
 whs

But I would go with a 2/0 in the early season and small pieces of bait.

Thanks Chris, great description.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline scubasteve

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #486 on: March 09, 2011, 07:10:26 PM »
Thanks paul and chris for your help u guys and this site is really good and by the end of the month i will have a full report thanks again for all your help
                   stev

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #487 on: March 09, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »
Anytime Steve...Good luck this season.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #488 on: May 11, 2011, 11:52:07 AM »
havent posted in a while.  sorry.  havent done much fishing either.  but i got out a few times so far this spring.  a few weeks ago my buddy and i hit the RB beaches and soaked some clams.  first time i have done that in a long time.  3 separate days in 3 different locations, all within 2 hours of the high tide with nothing to show.  made 2 stops out front with plugs and nothing.  got out this morning before work in monmouth county.  bait busting out of casting range.  threw wood and some metal trying to reach, but nothing.  day jobs suck sometimes.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #489 on: May 11, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »
Good try especially in the north east winds.  If you go out make sure you can throw at least 6 to over 8 oz of lead.  With these winds the surf is kicking a bit and to hold bottom you will need at least that if not more.

If you do go, it has been slow pic-kins along the Ocean County beaches today with the bite up north a bit around Spring Lake especially behind St Elphonso's (not to sure on the spelling).

The problem there is the parking, be careful if you do go.

The bite has been all on clams with some plugs working like the swimmers especially.

The boat guys still and for the most part have the upper hand right now, because the bigger schools are just out of reach from the beach.  And now with this wind it does not help casting from the beach.

I will be going out tomorrow again as today the conditions were just to rough for me to last all day.

I know someone on here asked if there is a B&T  that is open 24/7 well I was told that when the summer hours go into effect the Dock Outfitters will be open to service all your needs.  But their site only sates that they are open a 5AM till 9, so at this time there still is not a 24/7 shop yet.

The time is now guys the bass are all around and they are starting to hit on a variety of baits even artificials.  The strictly artificial guys I know are in happy mode right now as they are beginning to get fish on a regular basis.  Most are using swimmers and fished slow, what ever you use make sure it has good movement.

If you like fishing for blues well your in luck.  Behind Island Beach State Park the blues are in and in heavy.  I saw today one gent came into Grumpy's and had to pick up new Spook lures as the blues just tore up the ones he had.  The color back there is a defiantly Yellow.  Where as in the inlet you want a Bucktail that is just about all white with a white curly tail maybe trimmed with red some where on it.

I am hoping that the wind dies down a bit over night as it is not an easy task fishing out front.  So the rest of the day will be spent doing yard work and taking down the kayak and start the clean up process.  If anyone has a small used kayak for less than 400 bucks I am looking for one for the wife, I think she is jealous that I get out there and she can not.

Well the season has started for us surf rats, just take your time and get out as often as you can. 

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline uncorked

« Reply #490 on: May 11, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
Where ya heading out tomorrow Paul?
I'm hoping to get out thursday and friday since the weather will be great!
Father/Son duo

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #491 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
We will be starting at Island Beach State Park and the first stop will be at Gillkins.  We will work south and stop for a while at the inlet to see what the blues are doing.

We will be hitting a number of holes that have been producing.

My uncle will be at the house at 6:30 and we hope to be on the beach by 7 after a quick stop at grumpys for clams and mullet.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #492 on: May 13, 2011, 03:45:24 PM »
From The Suds

May 13, 2011

By Paul Danielczyk

The beaches are starting to heat up both temperature and fish catching wise.  No matter where you go during some part of the day the surf will be giving up some of its bounty.  Earlier this week the catch was on fire up north around Asbury Park to Spring Lake, while later in the week almost all of the action was in the Seaside Park to the Barnegat Inlet with the center of the action   from A17 to the inlet.

The bait of choice was mostly clams when you can get them as some shops were having trouble getting them.  But today it seems that all the shops are stocked and ready to go for the weekend.  Just make sure that all the bait you buy is fresh if not my suggestion would be to stick with salted clams, they do work better than dead ones.

There is one slight problem right now and that is with the weeds.  They can be a menace if you like to dead stick.  My suggestion is to check your bait often and clean off the weeds.  If the bait needs to be replaced change it as well.  I have noticed that using a slight amount of elastic string and a bit more bait ups your catch rate as well.  Yeah I know the bait goes faster but your catch rate will also increase.

If you are just out there to catch whatever give the inlets a try and my choice of bait there would be the white bucktail tipped with Finn-S 5” in pink or some sort of curly tail in pink or red, plus I was told that by using pork rind in red & white works just as good and you will get a better fish to bait ratio.  Time will tell.

Reports from the south:

Scotts B&T is reporting that Graveling Point is still producing and the Mystic side of the bay produced a fluke in the 21” range by the clam steakes close to the fish factory.  If you want to try your luck for bass they are in and around the Grassy Channel.

If you are lucky enough to have a boat or kayak and can get to the Tuckerton Bay area the water temps there are up and the bite has been much better.

Fisherman Headquarters reports that the mid-island bite is the best with stripers in the 27 to 37# and just about all have been caught on clams.  While out back in the bay again mid island a nice 20 to 25 Black Drum was caught and by the sound if it they are still hanging around a bit longer.  Again the Drum was caught on a clam.

Central N.J.

Grumpy’s is reporting a number of Striped Bass and tons of blues being caught up and down the beaches here from Lavallette to Barnegat Inlet.  The bait if choice is still the clam but bunker chunks are doing the trick for the bass.  There have been a lot of bait moving up and down the coast with everything from sea lions to whales feasting on the bounty out there.  The problem is that most of the schools are way to far to cast to.

Betty & Nicks is reporting just about the same and recommends you try to use different baits till you find one that works this weekend.  The NE wind is changing and the rough seas are subsiding but the clam beds just off shore took a pretty good hit so start with them.  All the stores on the island are fully stocked and ready for you this weekend.

Murphy’s Hook House reports that the bay by the mouth of the Toms River and all around the bridges is just loaded with bass and blues.  Most are being caught on top water plugs so give it a try is you can.  Stop in and talk to Dennis and the guys.

Up North:

Places like Crabby’s In Keyport are reporting great fishing and ifyou are thinking of getting out to many of the Raritan Bays fishing spots to do it early.  It seems that the dawn time is still the best time to grab a striper of the many piers up there.  Just like all the rest your best bait is the clam.

So that is just a small snap shot of what will be in store for your weekend fishing.  Not to shabby if you ask me.  Get out there and enjoy.  The weather man like usual has no clue as to what it expect so the heck with him.

Happy Catching

Paul

Photo is from Fisherman's Headquarters of Rich Belli with a nice 36-lb 10-oz Striper caught off IBSP May 13, 2011.  Nice one Rich.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:58:50 AM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline uncorked

« Reply #493 on: May 13, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »
Great info Paul, probably taking a trip down to toms river around dusk tonight with the boat, we'll see what happens!!  slt
Father/Son duo

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #494 on: May 13, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
Good luck.  All the intel I have received dusk is a great time is plugs like the yellow 5" Mombo Minnow.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #495 on: May 13, 2011, 06:37:48 PM »
Nice work Paul  t^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #496 on: May 13, 2011, 10:23:25 PM »
 t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #497 on: May 21, 2011, 12:14:17 AM »
From The Suds

5-20-2011

By Paul Danielczyk

It is time to get out on the beaches and fish them hard.  The Striped Bass are all over all you have to do is locate certain pockets and BAM Fish-On.  We were out semi early today and were treated to a small but nice striper caught on Island Beach State Park.  It was my Uncle’s first off the beach.  Although it was not a keeper it broke the ice for him.  

This weeks report will not be the usual report as most of the Bait & Tackle shops have the same reports the fish are out there all you have to do is find them.  Well how do you do that if you’re new to the sport?  It is not easy but I hope that this report / tips will help you get on the right track.

First you have to be in it to win it.  I am sure you all heard that expression but it is so true on the sport of surf fishing.  You have to be out there and actively fish the areas you feel the most confidants in and the magic will happen.  One of the main tips I try to give everyone is to make friends with as many people as you can that actively fish the beach.  By doing so you will start to hear where the hot spots are and what they are using to bring home that big one.  By networking your chances will go up tremendously.  At first don’t be pushy, guys like me will turn you off in a heart beat.  For the newer guys the best thing you can do is to be there and listen.  Ask some questions but back off when you sense that you are going to fast.

Another big no, no is to fish where you know you are not wanted.  There will come a time when you will be asked to fish with the big guns but till they feel comfortable with you, just be content with knowing that you are there is enough right now.  Trust me they are watching you even if they do not seem to be.  Once they feel comfortable with you and they can see you are a competent angler will you notice the door will open a little bit wider.

You have to remember, there is just so much beach to go around and with the prices on everything going through the roof your fishing address book will mean a lot to you and may be the difference of bringing home that trophy fish or just having to settle with the scraps.  Be patient and you will be rewarded.

Right now there are fish all over our coast and I know many are out there and not catching for whatever reason.  It’s hard to hear and see reports of big bass being caught but for now that is okay.  Read the articles here and other places that allow you to see what and where the possibilities are.  Learning to read the water is so important that I can not begin to talk about it enough.  By knowing this information you will be able to find the holes and fish them successfully.  Trust me, it takes time but once you understand the science behind it your fishing will suffer because of not knowing.

What bait is working and when to throw plugs is another topic that always comes up and all I can say is start to realize what bait is in the area at the time you are fishing and match the hatch.  Take today for instance.  We located the holes early this morning and with the storms we just had we knew that the clam beds just off shore took a hit just by the amount of empty shells on the beach so it was a no brainer that our first choice was clams.  It worked, as we pulled in a nice healthy striper around 7:30 this morning.  It was a short but never the less still a striper.  I used a Hi-Lo rig and found that the lower hook was the killer today.

Now is the time to be out there as fish are all over, your job if you want to catch fish is to use your reasoning and knowledge to locate that elusive prize the Striped Bass.  Plus, don’t be bothered by all the catching being done by boaters, they have a lot of equipment at their disposal to help in their decision making.  Being a surf rat, your main tool is your knowledge of the area you are fishing.  In a lot of cased it will be enough.  Just remember the world record bass was caught off the surf (Jetty in this case) in Atlantic City in a Nor’easter.

There is hope no matter your ability level.  Just get out there, support your local bait & Tackle shop for they are your best place to gather information prior to getting onto the beach.  Just remember one last thing.  The beach is a living and changing thing.  It will not be the same from hour to hour.  Your fishing tactics will have to change accordingly.  With this in mind go prepared.  Make sure you have the best equipment you can afford.  And don’t be intimidated by anyone.  Fishing is a life time of learning and doing.  Have fun or it is not going to work.

Till next time.

Happy Catching

Paul

Dave with a 43# Striped Bass caught this week.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:25:03 AM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #498 on: May 21, 2011, 07:25:41 AM »
Another big no, no is to fish where you know you are not wanted.
:headscra:

I don't understand that..   That'll be the day someone gives me a hard time as to where I can fish on a public beach.  Or anyone anyone..

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #499 on: May 21, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »
Well I got a response...  I guess the wording was a bit harsh but the meaning behind it was meant to bring out the fact that there are many areas that are yes open to the public but many old timers and do try to protect their fishing areas because they are productive.

But the saying comes into play here first come first served is true.  If you are fishing a certain area you deserve to hold that area.  Same goes with the fact if the area you would love to fish is already occupied.  But, just by knowing these guys you would be a welcomed asset to their small group and your fishing areas would not be out of reach.

IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-