Author Topic: From the suds...  (Read 215772 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: From the suds...
« Reply #540 on: July 21, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks Paul TT^!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #541 on: October 04, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
Okay, lets revive this section...

The right time to fish has got to be talked about.  I know many of us have just certain hours we can get to the water to do what we think we do best.  This is including me of course.  Plus the equipment used to hunt the darkened beach should be easy to change out. 

Fishing can turn into a science but not the ultimate science as there are too many variables that have to be in alignment to catch all the time, but there is one thing that works better than others, after dark.

I know we all try to fish the bait that is around at the time many of us calling it "Match the Hatch".  But what do you do when the bait around is in transition, like it is now.  We will talk about this later.

The Golden hour has been talked about in so many articles and I believe in this month issue of "On The Water" even has an article about it.  Well it is true.  This time of year I try my hardest to get out on the sand an hour before dark or a couple of hours before first light.  These two times are what make up that golden hour of fishing.  Most fish are just gorging themselves as the different type of baits is just all over the place.

For now it is a time frame game with catching.  I know many of you will have a problem getting out at dark or even dusk but give it a try and you should be pleasantly surprised at the out come. Oh yeah, casting till you can't see the plug syndrome.  Well I know guys that swear by being able to cast past the last bar or you not going to catch.  This is good only true some of the time, but rarely do I have the strength to do that and why I should when I am out catching them at least 2 to 1. 

I was out yesterday (during the day) and saw many things that could drive you nuts, besides a seal out fishing and a pod of Dolphins heading south.  I saw a huge school of bunker off the Judges shack in IBSP while the birds were filling up on sand eels everywhere in the beach wash and friends of mine throwing nets in the Pocket and filling up buckets of mullet.

So what do you throw?  At this point I carry everything for now.  I throw clams, bunker, mullet and teasers that mimic sand eels.  Now you know why we carry so many outfits along in our carriers.  But there is one thing that many forget and that is the time of day.  You have to be aware that there are times of the day when most predators catch fish. 

This time of year I am transitioning from bait to artificial lures because it is easier to change rigs and cheaper simply because I don't have to buy all those different baits for one thing (sorry B&T guys).  So what do I do?  Well, my method is to KISS.  Keep It Simple Stupid.

Let’s talk simple; one of the simplest rigs is the AVA jig with teaser.  This is my full rig from fishing line to jig.  And, yes, I make all my tackle for the most part.  I tie a clip and one of your choice I like the tactical angler clips or the look -a-likes as they make it easier to change things in the dark (plus in colder weather) and make changing things a bit easier with my arthritic fingers, to the end of my line.  From there I make up a leader(leader material in the 30 to 40 lbs range is used) starting with a swivel, from there I tie a dropper loop about 6 to 8 inches below that,  Than I tie another clip 16 to 18 inches below the dropper loop.  With this method it is easier to change out lures and teasers as you go along.  Especially on a dark beach (hint, hint, hint).

Yep, most of the great fishing right now is in the dark or close to it.  If you like to fish plugs go for it.  Just unclip the jig & teaser set up and clip on a plug of choice.  I have been having success lately with a blue and white Gags Grabber.  I also have one in red and white for later in the year, but as long as there is mullet in the area I like to stick with blue and white.  Oh, by the way it casts like a rocket so you can cover a lot of water.  More on that later.

Where?  Right in the wash.  When you can see fish in the curl of a wave you know they are in close so why cast so far as to not even see your lure?  I learned this lesson years ago when I first started fly fishing the surf.  People thought I was crazy like many other fly fishermen I know.  Give it a try and don't pick up your rig or plug till it is on the sand.

So what have we learned?  Try to keep things as simple as you can and minimize things you have to do.  Try to mimic the bait that is around, especially this time of year.  Keep your lures in the water all the way to the sand.  Plus try fishing those magic hours and if you can't get out during the week I know tons of weekend warriors that hit the suds but not many like to fish the dark.  Try it before it gets cold you might even see me out there. 

Happy catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #542 on: October 04, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »
Nice. t^  Maybe I'll get out and hit the beach one of these days.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #543 on: October 04, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »
Just give me a call and if I'm free you can hitch a ride anytime. 
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline dmj

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #544 on: October 16, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
Hit the jetty at Garfield in the south end of Long Branch after work today.  Really rough still, but managed to get a bunch of throws in before it got dark.  Fishing was rough but enjoyed getting a shot at it at least.  Better luck tomorrow I hope.   

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-