Author Topic: From the suds...  (Read 215739 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: From the suds...
« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2008, 11:07:39 PM »
Hi All,

Well I finally could not stand it any more got out fore a couple of hours this evening right at dusk till 2 hours afterwards.  The ocean was like a lake it was so flat.  the full moon was so bright I did not have to use my head light.  I decided to use the Geg's plugs tonight in blue and white and the other in red and white.

The red and white did the trick.  Caught two blues off the 3rd avenue parking lot in Ortley Beach.  Not much else were being caught but everyone I talked to had at least a couple of blues plus.

Not much boat traffic out there for such a beautiful night. 

This the time of year I love, when you can throw plugs and walk the beach and just have fun and not have to worry about baiting up a hook.  It is more like stalking than fishing and at night it is even more fun.  The crowds are gone, the sun is not baking you till your skin is fried to a crisp, and the flies and biting pests are at a minimum. 

I love to not use waders this time of year as the water is warm enough that your not weighted down by waders and having to carry them in the veh. is a pain.

If anyone wants to have a good time and catch fish now is the time to get out there.  I am glad I did not miss the while spring run as tonight was great and so peaceful.  I will be doing this a lot more plus the early morning should be just as productive.

I met a couple of guys out there tonight and I hope to see them on the site.  Nice talking to you this evening.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2008, 11:18:18 PM »
Cool Paul t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2008, 11:20:15 PM »
I was going to take some pics but I haven't used the camera I carry in the Exped that the batteries were dead.  :P

Oh well, next time, fresh batteries.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2008, 05:50:35 PM »
Nice report and pics Paul. I'm glad you were finally able to find time to get on the beach.  t^
Also, congrats to your daughter on her graduation.  chrz
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2008, 01:17:25 AM »
Thanks on the graduation Joe,  I think I had more stress putting up with the dang graduation and the wife's preparations than all 4 years of coaching my daughter through HS.

The fishing was great only lasted about 2 hours but I tell you one thing there is nothing like being out on the beach with the ocean like a sheet of glass a warm west wind and a full moon rising over the water with a fish on.  Life is good, no matter what trials the almighty has us go through he allows us to have time for a space break and recoup.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #225 on: June 19, 2008, 04:35:16 AM »
Sounds like a great night Paul! I look forward to getting some fishing tips from you when you get done the hustle and bustle of your busy life. Give me a yell when yo are ready and I will fill you in on my schedule so that you can tell me when and where to come. My cell phone # is 609-330-4183, so call me or just give me a shout on the site here. It is an addiction and I sign on here at least five times a day, so I am sure you will get me. I don't always answer my cell when I don't know the number, so be sure to leave a message. I am a call screener for sure!
Have a good time with your family and Congrats to your daughter!   ~Sean
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #226 on: June 19, 2008, 10:39:34 AM »
Thanks Sean,

I am looking forward to fishing with you in the near future.  We will be getting back from vacation on the 29th and I am hoping to get out and pound the sand sometime that week.

I will get a hold of you sometime during that week to set up a trip.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #227 on: July 03, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »
Hi All,

Well I finally was able to get out for a couple of hours this evening.  Tried mostly top water plugs but nothing not even a tap. Then I tried AVA's in different sizes NADA.

Thats OK it was relaxing just to be out on the beach.  The wind was out of the WSW with gusts to 21mph and the waves were out of the SE and the tide was incoming to slack high tide by the time I left.

Not your typical good conditions.  The tourists were out in droves not many fishing I counted 3 including myself.  Boy what dumb questions I got this evening like What'cha doing to I never fished plugs before do they work?

Honest, these were the best.

I gave up the ghost when I almost had a little girl almost run into my plug after I just told her mother where and that to watch out for.  I told her I can't control the ocean and it is the current that is taking my line that way. 

It is crazy over there this year.  I guess because so many people are not going to far on vacations and staying close to home. 

I will be trying IBSP this Sat night with the wife I hope it is better out there and less crowded.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2008, 12:59:44 AM »
Anyone else going out Sat night.  I am hoping to still get out to IBSP and get a few hours in.

I will be trying a few things to see if there are any changes.  Clams and bunker chunks are still on the menu but I think I will try and target the Kings with bloodworms as well.

This time of year could be fantastic if everything lines up.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2008, 01:14:09 AM »
Good Luck Paul  t^ What out for those Jelly's  rofla I will be at work all night so I guess you get the last laugh   :'(
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #230 on: August 15, 2008, 10:46:42 AM »
Hi All,

Well its Friday and the beaches will be loading up once again, but this time it is a good thing.  The bait is all over the place small fish like spearing, anchovies, rainfish and snappers are in the wash making it very interesting. 

You have blues smashing top water bait so make sure you have plenty of top water lures ready and the fluke are hitting Gulp's swimming mullet like it was candy but even better yet if you tie a dropper loop and put on a Gulp shrimp you are almost guaranteed a fluke with in a short period of time.

There is a warning though, you have heard and read on here about the sharks and that the height of the season in around August 22nd well this goes for the rays as well.  They are in all over the place so watch your poles.  If you like to dead stick make sure that your drag is set very loose or you can wave  grtn good by to your outfit as it slides beneath the waves.

This is a great time to get out as it is almost difficult not to catch something off the surf.  If you still are targeting those elusive stripers, well all I can say is get out your headlight and hit the beaches from dusk till dawn till the fall run starts.

From Ortley to the Barnegat Inlet the fishing is good so get out and give it a try.

Good Luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline brickken

« Reply #231 on: August 15, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »
In todays Hook, Line and Sinker (APP) there was an article about cow rays and sting rays in the surf. Talked about a sting ray that got hooked in Seaside Park, while the angler was trying to de-hook it, he got stung and spent a few days in the hospital.

Your point is well taken.
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #232 on: August 15, 2008, 12:52:58 PM »
Great report as always Paul.
 t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #233 on: August 15, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »
Thanks Paul...good to see the action picking up in the suds!  I need to get out and try to get some bluefish.  My mother loves them and has been bothering me lately!!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #234 on: August 15, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »
I wish my wife would bother me to go out and fish.

Yeah the surf has finally lit up and it seems it will stay that way for a while.  I just heard that there was an 11 + lb fluke off Seaside not sure off the surf or the bay plus the bay is just full of Kings and snappers right now.

It is time to match the hatch. but it seems that most every kind of bait is working, everything from clams to squid, you name it and it is catching fish.

Most of the B&T's are loaded with any thing you want to use also. It seems that the peanut bunker are in and the shops are pushing that.

COM'ON MULLET

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #235 on: August 15, 2008, 05:05:18 PM »
Now I just need the weather to cooperate!!  Got chased in last night and tonight is not looking good either??

TT^

Offline irenegade

« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2008, 11:42:24 PM »
Thanks for the update, Paul!
I haven't been back to NJ in a month or so, but I'm heading to AC Mon/Tuesday.  Hope to get to the Jetty and perhaps check out the Harrah's breaker wall. Maybe back in Tom's River & Seaside in September. Hope to meet up with you one day!
Jeff
One day I'll have a photo of me and my 1st Striper up instead of this cat.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2008, 03:15:20 PM »
Sounds Good Jeff I am looking forward to it.  Let me know and we will get you out onto IBSP.  September is good plugging and metal fishing in low light conditions.

Good Luck in AC... TT^

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Greg7

« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
Anyone planning on going to IBSP tonight or tomorrow morning? I was thinking about possibly getting out there.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #239 on: August 21, 2008, 09:38:33 PM »
Sorry, I trimmed all the bushes today and tomorrow I will be up in Haskell, NJ all day.

Man, honey do's are hell.   :P
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-