Author Topic: From the suds...  (Read 215748 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: From the suds...
« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2008, 11:02:59 PM »
I guess I am more like a surf fishing junkie.

I wonder if I could find a sponsor or two to do this thing...Probably not.  I guess I just got to keep plugging along (punn intended).

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2008, 11:12:47 PM »
I guess I am more like a surf fishing junkie.

I wonder if I could find a sponsor or two to do this thing...Probably not.  I guess I just got to keep plugging along (punn intended).

Happy Catching

Paul

I hear that!!  Don't you wish there was pro surf fishing??  I don't think I would qualify as a resident "skunk," but boy would I like to do that all day and all night.  Get paid to hook up with fish with all of the nicest, most expensive gear from sponsors...<slap> <slap>, AND now back to reality!!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2008, 11:24:18 PM »
Boy I have had dreams like that for a long time.

Yeah just think  Pro Surf Fishing show.  Visiting all the great beaches up and down both coasts and the Gulf of Mexico.  Who knows it might just happen one day especially if gas starts to go up again and more people start looking into this unique sport.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #263 on: September 05, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »
OK, here is a tid bit for ya.

Just heard that blues are being taken at the old Top O the Mast today again.  They were using mullet.

Plus there was a striper caught in the park.  I would think that these reports will be getting better and better as time goes on.

If you can get out today before the storm hits as the barometer is starting to wiggle and that means a change which usually triggers the fish to start to chow down before the blow comes through.

After the storm the story will probably be Clams Baby Clams. As the beds will probably take a good pounding.  A good key is if you spot clam shells on the beach in big piles run to the nearest B&T and load up on those succulent little beauties.

Good Luck and heads up.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #264 on: September 05, 2008, 12:36:12 PM »
Which do you think is the best bet Paul? Before the storm or after? I wanna get down there while I have the chance....I have been sooooo busy with work and school and family that I have had ZERO time for Good Ole' ME  chrz
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline adesai73

« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
Yeah, the Fall run should be starting soon and I guess being up here would be the place to be early on.  In the Spring the run starts down there so I guess it all works out.  I would love to be able to follow the migration one summer from the Spring down south right up the coast to Maine and then back down to Maryland in the late Fall.

Happy Catching

Paul

Paul, you *have* to check this book out!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060087455?tag=quickbrochure-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0060087455&adid=066B707HX241TZ0XXMNZ&

I don't have it, but began reading some of it at a Barnes/Noble one evening.  I really enjoyed the portions I read.

ash

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2008, 01:19:29 PM »
Hi Sean, boy I guess you have been busy I guess the hospital business is going strong... :P

As far as going today or Sunday its a 50 50 chance.  Right now the barometer is steady and even rising a bit so the bite will be off or slow.  By tonight it should pick up as the front comes into play.  If you can stand the wind and it is coning out of the NE go for it.

Sunday things will be to churned up and the bite will be off now Monday and Tuesday that's a different story.  As the waters calm a bit I would be out there flipping clams as much as possible.

Hey Ash,

The book looks really interesting and something I would love to do myself.  My browser is blocking the pictures are there a lot and are they up to date?  Can you imagine a video documentary on this topic.

I just might have to go over and pick it up for a rainy day reading.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2008, 11:30:59 PM »
Top Of the Mast was dead today!  I didn't fish b/c the beach looked like a day in July, but the few people who had bait casted out weren't having much luck.  Surf was pretty rough too.  I didn't stick around too long. 

Where are the blues??  They have been AWOL all summer and usually by now a few blitzes through the beach.  I have seen plenty of bait out there, but no fish around it.  Hopefully the fall run of bait will bring them in...if not, I might have to surrender and hit a party boat.  I am really craving a good day of bluefishing!! 

I may try and get out tomorrow before the storm hits and give it a shot depending on the weather. 

Sounds like a very interesting book... deja vu!  I have heard dreams of that here on this list  ;D!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2008, 11:35:33 PM »
Can anyone say road trip next year??? chrz grtn

I was out at Ortley this evening and the waves were not to bad very fishable.

I did see a lot of birds working about a quarter of a mile out.  First time in a long time they were working the bait pretty good.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2008, 09:08:01 AM »
Hi All,

Well the sun was still hiding when I stopped at Wawa for coffee and a roll for breakfast.  Then drove over to Ortley Beach where I met up with Bucktail Bob.  We headed out and the ocean was beautiful with moderate size waves still churning up pretty good.  The birds were working a little diving just to within reach of a number of plugs I had in the bag.

Bob went north I went south to a couple of holes I knew of.  I used a blue and white Bluefish Bomb and got a small strike but was not able to pull it in not sure what it was felt strange.  Then I changed to a red and white one and after a few casts fish on again it felt strange when I pulled it in it was a Sea Robin, yes on top water plugs weird.

Bob has a picture of it maybe he will post it later when he gets home.

After that not much happened and Bob went to the Top O the Mast and I decided to go the Grumpys and pick up a new lure I lost today.  Paul mentioned that there were fish starting to gather in the early mornings and that there are bait starting to make their migration but not in big numbers.  Looking for next week to really start as the full moon is coming up and that usually starts things off with a bang.

I picked up another needle fish plug and now I will have to get use to throwing those as well this year again.  I never had to much luck with them but Paul raves about them so I thought I would give them a try.  I have two now a purple over white and an olive over white.  Both in the 3oz range.

I will try to get out Wednesday again and throw some new stuff I will let you know how it works out.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Can Sea Robins Fly?
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2008, 12:01:28 PM »
I've yet to see a sea robin fly out of the water.  But one certainly flew up to the top of the water to grab Paul's popping plug today!  And that's no fluke! ;D 
This was no snag job either.  If you look closely at the second pic, you can see that this bird has clearly got that treble hook in his mouth.  First time I've ever seen that.  Nice job Paul! t^ 

After I left there I did a ride down to Top of the Mast, but there was nothing doing there either.  It was nice fishing with you for a couple of hours today.  Hopefully we can get together another time and catch something without wings. ;D 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2008, 12:46:11 PM »
Nice effort guys.

Paul, I caught my largest striper on a needle fish. It was a lime green color and it was on my first cast of the day with it. I had been using a different lure and switched over. That was a lot of years ago. Oh yeah, the fish was 48" long and weighed in at 44 pounds.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2008, 12:58:21 PM »
Hey Joe.  Who's the guy holding your fish in that picture? ;D

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »
 o@ THAT'S ME, MANY, MANY YEARS AGO!!!  w00t
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2008, 02:18:21 PM »
Sounds like fun!  I didn't have any luck either.  I started at Top of the Mast and  walked and casted for about 1 1/2 hours and then got in the car and started looking for birds working, but I didn't find anything for several more hours.  Nice robin Paul, he seems to have really liked that popper!

Capt Joe...nice fish as well. 

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »
I just bought a really good looking needle fish today it is white belly olive sides fades to black on top.  It is an Al Gag's lure really nice 9" abt 3oz.

Looking forward to trying out that baby.  I hope there are no robins around though.

Bob it was great watching you figure out where to put your coffee cup on the beach.

This time of year I will be out 3 - 4 times during the week and if I can slip out on the weekends I will do so as well.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2008, 03:46:43 PM »
o@ THAT'S ME, MANY, MANY YEARS AGO!!!  w00t

00ps  My bad! ;) 

That's awesome Joe! Nice fish!  TT^

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:33 AM »
Hit the beach Saturday evening, 9-6 around 1830 in Long Branch.  Started working north or 7 Presidents Park.  Nothing going at first, but soon noticed bait being chased in the wash.  Started making my way north with the bait, throwing everything I had with me, but no luck.  Eventually my evening was ended by the local fire dept., who were about to set off fireworks, and asked if I would head back south so I was not in range.  Just the way I was hoping to start out my surf season.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »
Welcome and nice try!  Pretty late for fireworks?  There is always something to put a kink in your plans.

TT^

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #279 on: September 17, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »
well, if i ever get out of work today i plan on hitting the beach.  anyone got any ideas what has been going on, if anything?  thinking of somewhere between the hook and spring lake.  will take any advice if there is any out there

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-