Author Topic: What The Heck Am I Doing Wrong?  (Read 49300 times)

Offline TurboDan

What The Heck Am I Doing Wrong?
« on: October 20, 2007, 07:25:21 PM »
Hi Folks,

Just thought I would reach out to the crowd and see if anyone had an opinion on my situation.  It's actually pretty simple - I can't catch a damn thing!  5hrug

I can hook up with fluke in the summer.  I've never had a problem with that.  But when it comes to anything else... anything... I can't get a single bite.  I think I'm doing everything right.  I buy the lures that everyone else seems to have success with.  I cast and retrieve as described by so many other people.  But it never works.  Tonight, I was fishing right by the Railroad Bridge in the Manasquan River.  A few feet from me there was another boat and the two guys were reeling in blues like crazy.  I had one little tug on the line, and that was it.  I didn't boat a single fish, nor did I even get another bite. 

Does anyone think I could be doing something terribly wrong?  Am I using a rig that cannot catch fish for some reason?  Granted, I really am not experienced in rigging a line, and may be using something completely wrong.  Should I be using live/frozen bait rather than artificials?  Other than fluke, I haven't caught a single fish this season while every report I read and every person I talk to reports at least a good selection of blues in the river.  I just don't get it. 

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much the only person in my group of friends that likes fishing, so that's pretty much out as an option.  How did everyone here get started?  Should I hire a guide and learn from a pro?

Well, just ranting for now.  As I've always said on here, anyone who feels like going fishing, feel free to drop me a PM.  Boat, gas and beer on me.  I'd love to observe how some of you guys hook up and learn from it.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: What The Heck Am I Doing Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 07:29:07 PM »
well, its a little late now, but keep me in mind next season and I PROMISE you, you will catch the summer slam.. Ya just have to target each species individually.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 07:33:41 PM »
More then welcome to fish with me next season as well.
I am no expert, but I have caught a fish or 2 in my day :)

If you see a boat next to you catching fish, ask them what they are using.
most people will have no problem telling you.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 07:55:07 PM »
Hey Turbo,

If you want those blues get rid of those artificials for now till you get more confidence. Get a steel leader blue fish rig, some split shots, and whole fresh bunker to cut into chunks. Put only enough weight to aid in casting, and just to keep you just below the surf a couple inches. If the blues are there you will catch. Good Luck!!!
 TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 08:18:25 PM »
More then welcome to fish with me next season as well.
I am no expert, but I have caught a fish or 2 in my day :)

If you see a boat next to you catching fish, ask them what they are using.
most people will have no problem telling you.
Well, i don't think the person next to you will be honest with you, especially since your practially in the same fishing hole.  Fluke, bluefish, not a problem and can't miss, Seabass is another sure fire, keepers may be far and few between, Tog.. you will need experience setting the hook, it take a knack... Striper also, if your at the right place at the right time, with the right bait... another sure fire

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 08:37:25 PM »
Been in the same boat Dan. t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 08:41:05 PM »
Been in the same boat Dan. t^
i hope your problem is fixed by now, especially with this site  ;D

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 08:58:53 PM »
I used the word "been" t^  Yes  it has.

I'd make sure your using proper Knots and rigs.  Ive seen some tie knots that look like birds nests.  This will surly hurt your fishing

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 09:39:26 PM »
Thanks for the tips so far, guys.  I'm getting a little more confident knowing some of you have been there in the past.

Knots are definitely a challenge for me.  Apparently it runs in the family, since my Dad always tells me knots killed him when he was in the Navy.  Lol.  I definitely have to work on setting up rigs a bit better.  They don't look like birds' nests, but I don't think I make them strong enough.

It's weird, because I used to fish only for fluke and sea bass, and they both were incredibly easy to catch - whether inshore or in the river.  Limit catches were reasonably easy.  Now that I'd like to try my hand at some other species, it's a lot tougher.  At this point, I'm not even looking for keepers so much as a bite.  I'm definitely going to try some bunker chunks.  I've heard clams for stripers can also work.  I'm going to experiment with some whole clams from the B&T shop, but I also have clam scent from Smelly Jelly that I can use on my Storm swim shads if I use them.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 09:50:17 PM »
Hi Dan,

I feel your pain.  We have all been there and most of us are still there, maybe not on a regular basis but we still have problems.  It is not all you maybe in this case they were using chum (which you could not see) and being in the river if you were up stream from them that is why you were not catching.  The fish were in their slick.  Now if you were down stream from them you could of worked off their slick.  Not to ethical but everyone has done it from time to time.

So don't despair you will be catching more fish in time but you have to realize that it is fishing and a lot is luck but you have to make it your job to make certain all the ducks are in a row.

Keep at it and you will be a Pro before long.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 10:06:05 PM »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 12:13:31 AM »
As far as you not catching and a neighborhing boat is.  Try to watch what the guys on the boat are doing.  If they were fishing with metals, were they casting and immediately cranking in?  Perhaps they were casting and letting the lure sink to the bottom of the water column and retrieving from there.  Change your retrieve speed, let the lure sink, change up things until you find where the fish are in the water column and the speed of retrieval they are hitting. 
There are times when you can have guys standing side by side doing the exact same thing and only one is catching.  Why? Beats the crap out of me but I have seen it happen.  Don't dispair, your day will come.  As I said, keep changing things up until you hit on the winner.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 01:39:07 PM »
Again, thanks for the continued advice.  Another question I always have is regarding weight.  With bottom fishing, it's pretty obvious - just enough to hold the bottom.  But with this kind of fishing, how much should I be using?  The Storm shads come with some weight in them, but should I be using another sinker in addition?  If I want to score some blues, should I attach enough weight to the rig for it to sink almost to the bottom?

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 03:41:33 PM »
As far as you not catching and a neighborhing boat is.  Try to watch what the guys on the boat are doing.  If they were fishing with metals, were they casting and immediately cranking in?  Perhaps they were casting and letting the lure sink to the bottom of the water column and retrieving from there.  Change your retrieve speed, let the lure sink, change up things until you find where the fish are in the water column and the speed of retrieval they are hitting. 
There are times when you can have guys standing side by side doing the exact same thing and only one is catching.  Why? Beats the crap out of me but I have seen it happen.  Don't dispair, your day will come.  As I said, keep changing things up until you hit on the winner.

I'm a witness to this TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 11:28:38 PM »
As far as adding more weight to a designed lure is not practical because that lure was designed to work in a certain way or pattern if you will by adding more weight (undesigned weight) the lure will not be responsive in the way it was intended.

Either look for a heavier weight in that lure or switch lures or go to natural bait.  There is nothing wrong using a natural bait.  It will broaden your catching ability and the day of the purest does not exist any more.  At least it you want to catch fish on a regular basis.

You can experiment with weights but in my mind it is a fruitless endeavor.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 11:47:21 PM »
Dan

The guys have given you some good advice here.....watch what the other boat is doing, work the water column if you have no success in the bottom of the top, be pre-pared to change up tactics (ie, lures, jigs, bait) if need be.

One great way to see how a lure acts is to do some casting in a pool, this way you see the action.

And then there are those days that no matter what you do or where you do it, it just will not happen 5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 11:51:24 PM »
 whs
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 12:27:24 AM »
Again, continued thanks to everyone!  Went out again today for about two hours, no bites, but I didn't really expect any.  Current was running like crazy, and it was hot and sunny.  Not the optimal time for fishing, but I went out then because that's when my Dad wanted to head out.  Didn't want to disappoint him.

This week, I'm going to head out through the inlet into the ocean for the first time with my new boat.  Hopefully the mighty Atlantic will bring me luck - if the seas are reasonably calm, of course.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »
Good Luck... TT^

Hang in there if you put your time in you will do all right.  Keep trying things and perfecting the way you fish. 

We have all been there not to say we catch fish every time out I know I don't but thats OK.  I try to think of what I did and did not do and mentally jot that down in my mind (or keep a journal) and try to remedy and come up with an alternate plan for next time out if conditions are the same.

Keep asking questions and seeking new ways to broaden your abilities.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 10:47:42 AM »
Hi TurboDan,

If you don't have to work on Tuesday (October 23, 2007), I will take you to do some "Catching" (weather permitting).

Interested?

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:52:02 AM by Capt. Ed »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-