Author Topic: What The Heck Am I Doing Wrong?  (Read 49294 times)

Offline TurboDan

Re: What The Heck Am I Doing Wrong?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 12:07:16 PM »
D'oh!  Tuesday is a work day.  I think I'm off Thursday and Friday this week, though.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 07:17:57 PM »
Don't pass that one up Dan..  I learned more in an afternoon with Capt Ed. than I did in my life time t^

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 09:38:17 PM »
DAn

Becare of what you'll catch from Capt Ed ;D ::) :-*  (just joking)

He'll put ya on da fishies TT^

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 11:19:09 PM »
I've been trying to meet up with Capt. Ed for a few weeks now.  I can't wait, either!  Just from talking to him on here and in a PM or two, I can tell he's a pro.  When we finally can set a time, I know it'll be a great outing.  TT^
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 11:22:32 PM by TurboDan »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 11:42:30 PM »
Just make sure your memory banks are empty other wide you will go into overload from the information you will gain from Capt. Ed.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 10:52:27 AM »
What kinds of rigs are you using?  what are you trying to catch? 

elaborate a bit and I'm sure some of us can help you out  ;D

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 05:51:01 PM »
What kinds of rigs are you using?  what are you trying to catch? 

elaborate a bit and I'm sure some of us can help you out  ;D

Well, I've been using a few different kinds.  I've tried the basic pink Fin-S fish hooked to a lead head, then I also tried using baitholder 4/0 hooks with a chunk of frozen bunker.  In the past, I always tried metal hopkins lures and crippled herring. 

I bought some of the 4" (I think 4") Storm shads, but haven't used them yet.  Mostly, I've tried right by the rail road bridge in the Manasquan River.  That's where the other boat was catching a ton and I didn't catch any.  Capt. Ed suggested west of the Rt. 35 bridge at night in a PM, which I have yet to try. 

I haven't taken my new boat into the ocean yet, which I'll probably do on the next reasonably calm day.

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 05:58:24 PM »
how are you fishing the shads and the fin-s?  the bunker chunks?

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 12:10:04 AM »
I fished the Fin-S on a leadhead without any additional extra weight. The leadhead was basically on an 18" leader off a three-way swivel. The bunker chunks were fished with an 18" leader and a 4/0 baitholder hook, and a small weights attached to another line off the three-way - although the day I used bunker the current was ripping fast, so it wasn't optimal for fishing.

Could I be going out at the wrong times/tides?  Is it true that morning/night will yield better results?  How about a slack tide versus incoming or outgoing?

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 05:51:55 AM »
Why a 3 way swivel with the fin-s?
Try a snap swivel or straight to your line or if using a leader, just a barrel or small ball bearing swivel.

I would lose those 3 way swivels for anything other then weakfish (worms) or sea bass/porgy fishing.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2007, 08:55:20 AM »
I agree, the less the fish has to look at the better.  Keep it as simple as possible. 

If I am going to target a fish like a weakfish only and know that the blues are not around I will tie directly to the jig head.  If the blues are around then I would tie a 12" - 18" wire leader maybe like a 30# or less and snap swivel the jig head to that.

No 3 way is needed.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2007, 09:04:11 AM »
well, this is just me, but here's what i do. I dont "target" anything. i just want to catch fish!. sure, i get annoyed at all the searobins, and dogfish, but hey, you catch something. makes it that more exciting when you actually catch a nice striper, or a big bluefish. i ask everybody i talk to about bait, rigs, lures, etc.....in the end, i do my own thing, a mixture of all the info i gather. i catch alot of blues, i wish i could get more stripers, but i do ok. the best advice i've received is from this site. i have a friend, a recent addition from Florida. i'm no expert, but i have to re-teach him everything about surf fishing in NJ because it's so different from Fla. we do ok. just do your own thing. it's just like golf......everyone telling you what youre doing wrong, how to do it right.....pick the advice you want and run with it.

good luck

Billy
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2007, 09:21:56 AM »
Gagedylan,
You may not realize it but in all actuality you are "targetting fish".  By the lures and/or bait that you are using you will normally catch a certain species of fish more than others.  True, you will catch whatever is around but, The lure/bait you use will be one that reflects what a certain species prefers.

The way that you fish will also target a particular species too.  If you are fishing topwater plugs you will obviously not catch too many bottom fish, fluke, seabass, tog, etc.

So, what does all this mean?
If you want to catch more stripers and less bluefish, use a lure/bait that attracts stripers and not so much attracts bluefish. Use a slow retrieve, which will be more striper friendly than bluefish. Don't use shiny objects on your terminal tackle.  For stripers, use black swivels, etc.  The use of silver swivels will get the attention of bluefish very easily.

I think you get the idea of what I am trying to get across.  TARGET a particular fish and you will cut down on the fish that you do not want to catch.  You will not eliminate the catching of those type of fish but your chance of hooking up with what you want will increase. 

I hope all of this makes sense in the way I explained it.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 09:52:19 AM »
I agree, the less the fish has to look at the better.  Keep it as simple as possible. 

If I am going to target a fish like a weakfish only and know that the blues are not around I will tie directly to the jig head.  If the blues are around then I would tie a 12" - 18" wire leader maybe like a 30# or less and snap swivel the jig head to that.

No 3 way is needed.

Paul

It is needed from a boat when fishing bait to keep the bait suspended at the depth the fish are holding at.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 10:00:21 AM »
 whs
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 10:20:21 AM »
Sorry guys, I'm a suds jockey. 5hrug   I forget that you captains sometimes fish a little different.  I don't even have a 3 way in my box they get to tangled when casting and retrieving in the surf or running water.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 10:51:51 AM »
:)

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 01:03:10 PM »
Dan, as is usual here you are getting great advice..I would add this..I definitely think the best advice so far is for you to concentrate on using bait at first..As one of the sharpest professional captains I've ever known told me a long time ago.." a real fish is always the right color".. And don't underestimate the difference between the effectiveness of fresh/live bait as opposed to frozen..May not make as much of a difference when fish are on a mad-dog bite, but when things are tough, the freshest bait will get the bites...As far as your lure selection goes, I will say that the Fin S Fish, while a very effective lure, is not the easiest to fish, as it has little inherent action, requiring the angler to give it life.. And unless you have a good selection of leadhead sizes, you will be limited in your ability to control the depth of the presentation , which is always critical.. I fish a Fin S type bait by letting it drop to the bottom, then working it back with the rod, not the reel..meaning, after the bait sinks to the bottom, start with the rod at 3 o'clock, and lift it to the 11 o'clock position, swimming the bait..then drop the tip back towards 3 o'clock while picking up the slack with the reel...be sure to maintain contact with the lure on the drop as this is when most strikes will occur..Also, if you are fishing from an anchored boat in a current, you will need to cast quartering upstream, and work the jig cross current..If cast directly downstream, the bait will be lifted close to the surface by the force of the current.  As far as the guys in the next boat catching when you are not, this will be more common in a river setting, as fish will often times concentrate on  very specific current breaks and seams..so those guys may have just been in the sweet slot.. Finally, don't get discouraged!!  the true joy of fishing is more about the journey than the destination..All the experienced anglers here will tell you that we never stop learning..every day presents different conditions and challenges, and when it all comes together for you, the success will be that much sweeter.. You  are for sure in the right place here though..these guys will surely get you on the path to success.. Have fun!!  ;)

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 06:03:24 PM »
Why a 3 way swivel with the fin-s?
Try a snap swivel or straight to your line or if using a leader, just a barrel or small ball bearing swivel.

I would lose those 3 way swivels for anything other then weakfish (worms) or sea bass/porgy fishing.

Wow, really?  I always use the 3-ways.  When fishing the Fin-S, should I stick just with the lead head or add some more weight somehow?

Does anyone think I should lose the 3-way for metals, Storms and standard bunker chunks as well?

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2007, 06:52:43 PM »
three way swivels are typically used while fishing bait rigs.  You tie the terminal end of your running line to one rung, on the opposite rung is your sinker loop, and on the third rung is your leader to the hook.

Not sure what kind of advantage you'd have rigging fin-s to a three way swivel.  We typically fish fin-s or any other soft plastic on a leadhead tied directly to the running line. 

Use enough of a leadhead to get you down.  If you're having trouble working it on the bottom, cast up current, and work it back down the current nad finally slowly retrieve it back to the boat.

There is absolutely no reason to use a three-way swivel with any form of metal. 

Use the current to your advantage!

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-