Author Topic: NWS National Hurricane Preparedness Week  (Read 19910 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
NWS National Hurricane Preparedness Week
« on: May 25, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »
Today marks one week until the start of the Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season. The National Hurricane Center conducts a week long hurricane preparedness the last week of May leading into hurricane season every year. Each day this week, a different topic will be reviewed, starting with an introduction today, then hurricane hazards, forecast process, preparing and knowing when to act.

This years forecast is for an average to slightly below average season. These forecasts are not the most accurate and can be unreliable. Instead of focusing on the numbers of storms, understanding the general trend will give a better picture. With a anticipated and progressing El Nino, average or less than average activity is also anticipated in the Atlantic Basin. However, it only takes one storm, in any season, to cause damage.

Below are links to the National Hurricane Center's Website, an Introduction Video to Hurricane Preparedness Week and a link to the 2014 Atlantic Basin Hurricane Outlook.

Please feel free to ask any questions and share all of the information!

Have a great rest of the weekend!!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Hurricane Preparedness Week Day #2 Surge
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
Day 2 of Hurricane Preparedness will review surge or storm surge.

Surge, which is an abnormal rise of water from a storm is often the greatest threat to life and property from any coastal low/cyclone. Surge is like a wall of water that a low pressure systems create from continual winds, pushing water out ahead of it. Similar to blow out tides or strong onshore flow, that creates higher than normal tides. A cyclone with higher winds or a larger wind field will push a much larger "wall" of water ahead of it. This was witnessed first hand by most of us during Sandy. Surge is one of the main reasons to evacuate along coastal areas, as well as along any tidal waters; "hide from the wind, but run from the water!" Surge can travel up tidal waters several miles inland. Just a few inches to a few feet of water can be extremely damaging and water in excess of 2-3 feet or more can be catastrophic to property and can put lives at risk.

I won't get into all of the technical talk about storm surge and bore most of you ;D. The thing to remember is surge will begin ahead of any storm and quickly rise as the storm approaches. Surge is a major threat to life and property, so if you are advised to evacuate, please do so and do it when advised. Waiting until conditions deteriorate, is often too late!

Below are links to a short video on surge and a link to the Surge Unit at the National Hurricane Center.

If there are any questions please let me know, or if you would like some further, more in depth information on surge.

Happy Memorial Day and let us not forget the real reason for this day slt!

Storm Surge Video

NWS NHC Storm Surge Unit

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Hurricane Preparedness Week Day #3 Wind
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »
One of the major threats of a tropical cyclone, is wind. Wind is one of the components everyone knows about and fears. Even tropical storm force winds are dangerous and can cause extensive damage. Hurricanes are categorized by their wind speeds on the Saffir-Simposon Scale. Starting at the lowest wind speeds of 74 mph is a Category 1 Hurricane increasing to winds in excess of 154 mph or a Category 5 Hurricane. While these categories give a baseline understanding of a storm, they only relate the one component, wind. Remember, wind is not the only threat and a Category does not express the size of the storm, the surge threat, the rain and flooding threat or any severe thunderstorms/tornadoes associated with a land-falling tropical cyclone. Look at the entire big picture, instead of focusing on one threat or the category of the hurricane.

Below is the Saffir-Simpson, a link to the NHC's Video on Wind and a link to the NHC's Hurricane Preparedness. If you scroll down to wind, there is an animation of damage at the various wind speeds associated with hurricanes.

Thanks for reading!

NHC Hurricane Preparedness Day #3 Wind Video

NHC Wind Hazards

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Hurricane Preparedness Week Day #4 Inland Flooding
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:56:46 AM »
Day 4 of Hurricane Preparedness will discuss Inland Flooding. Inland flooding is one of the hazards that reaches well beyond coastal areas. Tropical cyclones can cause inland flooding hundreds and even thousands of miles away from the landfall of the storm. Rainfall in excess of 20 inches is very possible from tropical cyclones. Many storms, both recent and past in NJ, have caused significant to major inland flooding. Like any inland flooding, evacuation from low lying areas and flood prone areas is required. Precipitation, River Forecasts and Flash Flooding Forecasts will identify the potential areas to be affected by flooding. Being aware and keeping updated on the status of a landfalling tropical cyclone is important. While track forecasts have improved greatly in the last few years, tropical cyclones can and will do their own thing and a change in track could mean flooding for different locations.

Below is a link to a video from the NHC on Inland Flooding and a link to the NHC's website.

Have a great day!

NHC Hurricane Preparedness Inland Flooding Video

NHC Inland Flooding

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Hurricane Preparedness Week Day #5 The Forecast Process
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »
Day #5 of Hurricane Preparedness Week looks at the process that goes into forecasting tropical weather.

Below is another short video describing the many processes that go into forecasting tropical weather. The link below the video is the NHC's website describing the various products released during a tropical storm or hurricane. There is also a link to the Hurricane Hunters, both NOAA and the US Air Force.

Have a great day!

NHC Hurricane Preparedness Week Forecast Process Video

NHC Products

NOAA Hurricane Hunters

US Air Force 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: NWS National Hurricane Preparedness Week
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »
Thanks for putting this together Matt.  A lot of great information here. t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »
Thanks for putting this together Matt.  A lot of great information here. t^

My pleasure Bob! Thanks TT^.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: National Hurricane Preparedness Week Day #6 Get a Plan!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:57:12 AM »
Day #6 of Hurricane Preparedness Week is a reminder to have a plan. If you don't have a plan get one. No one can make your plan for you; a plan is unique to each person, family, neighborhood, town, etc...Before a pan can be made, knowing what the potential risks from tropical weather are important. Do you live in an Evacuation Zone, will primary effects (wind, storm surge, coastal flooding) of the storm affect you or do you only need to worry about secondary effects (rain, thunderstorms/tornadoes, inland flooding)? These scenarios will differ for everyone of us! After you know your risks, you can formulate a plan on what you and your family will do. Having a plan is extremely important and can be as simple or as complex as wanted. Both the NHC and FEMA have basic outlines on how to make a plan and what a plan should contain.

Below are links to a short video by FEMA Director Craig Fugate on having a Plan. Then there is a link to the NHC's Planning website and FEMA/Ready.gov's Hurricane site.

In addition to having a personal plan for tropical weather, my plan is to avoid it this season all together :P. However, the atmosphere doesn't always agree or cooperate, so as always, my plan also includes keeping tropical weather updates in the Outlooks as well as targeting any storms individually that may pose a threat to our area here in NJ. Like every major weather event and every hurricane season, there will be wishcasters and talk about any potential storm weeks before it even develops. Most of this is exactly that, just talk! If there is concern about a system, I will definitely mention or note it. Any questions about a potential storm or if you or anyone you know needs information for outside of this area, please feel free to ask! Those who know me, know I don't sugar coat or over accentuate events. I relay honest information and will tell you when things are just unknown or uncertain!

TGIF and have a great start to the weekend!

NHC Hurricane Preparedness Week Get a Plan Video

NHC Prepare & Plan

Ready.gov Hurricanes

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: National Hurricane Preparedness Week Day #7 Taking Action
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »
The final day of Hurricane Preparedness will reiterate the importance of Taking Action. This is the most important step in any natural disaster planning or preparedness. This is also one of the hardest steps to take because it is an admittance that some type of natural disaster is going to hit the area and that the effects are going to threaten life and property!

Taking Action, is simply putting the Plan into action. This starts well before any evacuation and could be minutes to days or weeks before an event. For tropical weather lead times will be several days to weeks. Putting a plan into action, being ready for a storm, and knowing when to evacuate or shelter in place takes is crucial. Never wait until the final hours or minutes. Evacuations can take many hours with the increase in traffic, especially from areas limited by roadway access. Necessary items will disappear quickly from store shelves and become hard to impossible to find. Knowing and planning for these types of situations will make the overall event easier yourself and family and it will also ensure that you do not go without.

Below is a link to the final Take Action Video by the NHC.

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I am going to put Paul on the spot, as I haven't spoken to him about this. Paul, can you please give us your input on Hurricane Preparedness and Awareness and add any information you would like, especially as it pertains to this area. Your expertise and experience far outweighs anything that I can put in here from my knowledge and studies slt ;D!

Thanks!

Thank you for taking the time to read! Have a great rest of the weekend.

NHC Hurricane Preparedness Week Take Action!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: NWS National Hurricane Preparedness Week Day #1 & #2 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
Yesterday began the week-long Hurricane Preparedness Week 2015. The goal and information is all the same as last year...understand and be prepared for hurricane season, which officially begins June 1 and ends November 30. Regardless of long range forecasts of tropical activity, it only takes one storm to cause a problem. Above, are the topics that can be reviewed and below are some new links and a new video for 2015. Any new information, will be updated daily.

National Hurricane Center Preparedness

Weather Ready Nation Hurricane Preparedness

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 11:45:11 AM »
Well I took the basic course the other day and now I am a certified storm spotter...  Now I can get into trouble again, woo hoo...

You were right the course was very basic, but what was funny there were people there taking down notes like their life depended upon it.  Oh well.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 12:48:01 PM »
Well I took the basic course the other day and now I am a certified storm spotter...  Now I can get into trouble again, woo hoo...

You were right the course was very basic, but what was funny there were people there taking down notes like their life depended upon it.  Oh well.

That's great Paul! It is very, very basic, but many lay people that take it really do not have much background in weather, but their assistance can be life saving. If I see any advanced spotter courses, I will pass the info along. I have taken several of these online as webinars. They focus on more specific events, such as severe weather and tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding, etc...

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
Cumberland County might be having one in the near future.  They were talking about it after the class.  I guess we will have to wait and see.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:23 PM »
Cumberland County might be having one in the near future.  They were talking about it after the class.  I guess we will have to wait and see.
TT^

Offline vscatena

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 11:10:48 AM »
Excellent info! Power generators are key to hurricane preparedness as well because extended periods of power loss are common.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-