Author Topic: Maxed out Low tide on Weaks 10/22 Fish On/ Mayday on the bay  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Fishonw/Ron

• Sponsor
    • Custom Boat lettering
Maxed out Low tide on Weaks 10/22 Fish On/ Mayday on the bay
« on: October 21, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »
With ocean temps still warm anglers locate some serious weakfish action. My trip on the Island Girl today resulted in an all out blitz on some nice size weak fish. In 2 hours Rich Nuzzolo, Bill Lee, Frank Iannone, myself and crew maxed out on weak fish. The scene at the entrance of the Verranzano Bridge on the Staten Island side was like the movie Jaws. >:D
 There were over 100 boats positioning in for the same drift. Each drift produced three to four fish on sandworms. After maxing out in two hours and out of worms we switched to Berkley artificials and continued to play catch and release with weakfish to 24 inches and some of the biggest porgies I’ve seen in 20 years. With over 36 fish in the cooler it was time to call it a day. But not without a shot at some alligator size bluefish on the way in. Birds were working the entire Raritan Bay with plenty of peanut bunker on both sides of the bay. Anglers have continued some serious bluefish action. Bluefish have been plentiful and causing havoc on all tackle.

Outside the hook Captain Allen from from Reel Class charters from Pt. Pleasant had Mike Accordino his buddy Shawn, Steve Magyari and Jeremiah Jacobs for a jig trip.   
Setting up off Asbury, they landed a few nice size blues.  Ran further up, found some better marks with a bird here and there working off the Deal-Long Branch Stretch, and had some bigger blues whacking jigs. Blues were roughly 8-12lbs Mike was able to fool a nice 30" bass on a crippled herring around noon, right off the church while working around some patches of bait. They made a run to the rocks, where Steve had an albie on, but lost it near boat side. Albies have been spotted all along the shore line from the Sandy Hook rips south. Very few anglers have been able to land these fast moving fish. All you can do is throw everything you have at them and the rest is luck. Reports on NJSaltwaterfisherman.com have been spotty if any on striped bass action. We really need the water temps to drop and quickly if we want a shot at some trophy bass. We had a small decrease in temps followed by a spike later in the week...

With all the angler traffic in the bay we need to remind people of boating safety and ethics. I witnessed some concerning practices by boaters who just don’t think of others. I hate to say it but there is a major problem in the boating community. We need 100% competence and compliance when operating a vessel. I saw boaters more concerned about getting into position for a drift at full throttle threw a fleet of anglers like know one was there.  I saw one angler anchored in a shipping lane. Just this week tragedy hit our area when two men drowned and two were plucked from the water in a dramatic rescue after a motorboat hit the towline of a passing tugboat and capsized in Lower New York Bay Saturday night, authorities said.
Three of the boaters were tossed from the 24-foot Mako into the Ambrose Channel and one was pulled off the overturned vessel by a Brooklyn party fishing boat at about 11 p.m., authorities and witnesses said.
Coast Guard boats from Sandy Hook, N.J., and Staten Island and NYPD marine and helicopter units rescued the other man and retrieved two bodies. The tugboat, the Melvin Lemmer, was pulling a loaded barge to a destination six miles off Sandy Hook when the captain noticed the motor boat headed toward the towline, authorities and witnesses said.
The captain tried in vain to warn the powerboat, blowing his whistle four times, but the Mako continued. "They saw the tug boat, but they didn't see the barge," Paris said. "The cable lifted them up and capsized the boat." This is why we need to take our time and be aware of our surroundings. You need to practice safety and use common sense. These two rules will save your life.
Did You know?
After fishing around for the answer, we discovered that a mayday distress call is used only in cases of "grave and imminent danger." The correct way to signal mayday consists of three repetitions of the word mayday, then the name of the boat, and its radio call sign. Once this initial message is transmitted, a follow-up message should be transmitted that includes the word mayday again, as well as the boat's position, the nature of the emergency, number of persons aboard, and any other relevant information to assist a rescue effort.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 05:49:07 PM by Fishonw/Ron »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Maxed out Low tide on Weaks 10/22 Fish On/ Mayday on the bay
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »
great report
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 06:31:57 PM »
Nice report Ron, keep them coming.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:52:27 PM »
Yea Ron..  Got a call today from a friend fishing in that area.  Asked me what I thought was up, Why so many Boats t^

Offline Fishonw/Ron

• Sponsor
    • Custom Boat lettering
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 10:09:15 PM »
It was red hot. you couldnt miss the weaks. Every drift was productive ...However it was tight and the currents were rippin. It got real crowded real fast.. Holding bottom with 8 oz  t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 11:44:55 PM »
 TT^ TT^ TT^
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 12:18:41 AM »
Definitely 100% competence a must.  There were some young guys in a Donzi "cigarette" style boat going through the Manasquan River rail road bridge today that almost smashed right into a 20-ish foot Grady that was heading through.  They didn't really seem to care, which was strange, yet not surprising. 

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 12:51:43 PM »
Nice report Ron thanks.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-