Author Topic: New Fluke Regs In Affect 6-14-14 For IBSP  (Read 3023 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
New Fluke Regs In Affect 6-14-14 For IBSP
« on: June 13, 2014, 06:07:58 PM »
Found this posted elsewhere...

June 13, 2014
On Thursday, June 12, 2014, NJ Department of Environmental Protection (Department) Commissioner Bob Martin signed a Notice of Administrative Change adjusting the size and possession limits for summer flounder (a.k.a "fluke") for anglers fishing from shore at Island Beach State Park (IBSP) during the 2014 open season.

The Shore Based Enhanced Fishing Opportunity Program (Program) for summer flounder at IBSP will begin Saturday, June 14, 2014. Summer flounder is New Jersey's most popular recreational saltwater species. Last year, New Jersey anglers caught an estimated 7.6 million summer flounder and kept 1.2 million of those fish.

Anglers participating in the IBSP Program may retain 2 fish greater than or equal to 16 inches (total length) only at IBSP during the current 2014 New Jersey summer flounder fishing season, which opened on May 23 and remains open until September 27. The Program will be available to "shore-based" anglers only, defined as fishing from a pier, jetty, beach, bank, or marsh. Anglers participating in this Program may NOT fish from a boat, kayak, canoe, personal water craft, or arrive to the shore by means of water craft.

Shore-based angling shall be by hook and line only. Summer flounder greater than or equal to 16 inches but less than 18 inches shall not be removed from IBSP, filleted, consumed or otherwise mutilated until the fish is affixed with a tag at the Department's check station, located approximately one mile south of the IBSP entrance, which will operate between the hours of 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM only. Anglers must retain the Department's tag affixed to the fish, and proof of legal entry to IBSP until returning home or until just prior to consumption if the fish are to be consumed prior to the angler returning home.

Anglers that possess summer flounder harvested at IBSP may harvest summer flounder outside IBSP provided they abide to the 18-inch size limit and 5-fish possession limit applicable to all other waters (for example, if 1 fish is harvested at IBSP, 4 fish 18 inches or greater may be harvested in waters outside of IBSP). (Please consult the Marine Digest for regulatory information.)

In addition to monitoring the recreational summer flounder harvest at IBSP, the Department will be collecting data on other important recreational species as well by conducting a creel survey at the numerous beach access sites on IBSP. The interviewers will record number of anglers, number of hours fished, number of fish caught and take measurements of fish kept. This information will be utilized to determine the feasibility of the Program as well as provide important data for coastwide management of the species.

For additional information, anglers can contact the Department's Marine Fisheries Administration at 609-748-2020.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: New Fluke Regs In Affect 6-14-14 For IBSP
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
 t^

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 08:35:56 PM »
I was a supporter the program early on.  But I'm not so sure now if I like it.
I hope to be able to to take advantage of the program since I've never caught a legal fluke from the beach in season.
MANY questions and scenarios were presented to them from the start.  They still have not addressed many of them. 
There are lots of grey areas and unanswered questions about the program. 
And now they are only available to check in fish from 10am to 6pm.  So what happens if I fish after 6pm or early morning?  How many fish and what size can I keep? 
This state sure knows how to eff things up  smk

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
a step in the right direction.  clp

just proves they can do what they want at the state level, regardless of that "regionalization" cr@p they shove down our throats koff koff.

now, next step is extend the slot limit to all NJ flukie fisheries; just as I have been pushing for years now!!!

at least you know then, if you have any skills, or any fresh bait on board, you should be able to at least take home dinner; and it will put the fluke-struder out of biznezz....

dat ting is az inhumane as a gaff anyways
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:33:57 PM by wb »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-